The Student Room Group

I don't get my teacher's answer

DETERMINATION OF AN EQUILIBRIUM CONSTANT
HCOOCH2CH2CH3 + H2O <--> C3H7OH + HCOOH

The question is, a student decided to repeat the orginal experiment using the same method and the same quantities of propyl methanoate and HCL. however when she uses the pipette and the burette, she takes her measurements from the top of the meniscus.

explain how this will affect the volume of the equilbrium mixture delivered from the pipette. and how will this affect the volume of Mg(OH)2 delivered from burette

If you need all the experiment details, I can type them out.
but can you help me understand the answer =

less volume as pipette should be read from bottom of meniscus. 2 readings of burette read twice, error carried. for burette, volume would be same as burette readings are measured by difference.

I just don't get what this means. please explain
The technicality:

Whenever you measure out a liquid, there is always some that stays in the bottom of the measuring cylinder/pipette. Imagine this as the amount that sits above the meniscus that you measure from. Therefore you are always accounting for the amount that will stay in the container when you pour the liquid out. It is standard that you always read from the centre of the meniscus - the top if it is convex, the bottom if it is concave.

Two readings ensures accuracy. Not sure what it means by 'error carried'.

I think that they mean the burette is measured to a different accuracy because the lumen of the tube is a different width to that of the pipette.

Quick Reply

Latest