This discussion is closed.
alio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi im experimenting the effects of antibiotics on different bacteria for A2 coursework. i predicted that gram positive bacteria will be more protective and have less inhibitions than gram negative coz it has a thicker layer of peptidoglycon.
my results show that gram negative is more effective however. so wot exactly wud i say in my conclusion? is it coz gram negative has an outer membrane and if so how does this protect the bacteria frm the antibiotic?

thanx in advance

oh yea in the coursework coz my hypothesis was wrong would i simply admit i was wrong and explain the results.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by alio)
hi im experimenting the effects of antibiotics on different bacteria for A2 coursework. i predicted that gram positive bacteria will be more protective and have less inhibitions than gram negative coz it has a thicker layer of peptidoglycon.
my results show that gram negative is more effective however. so wot exactly wud i say in my conclusion? is it coz gram negative has an outer membrane and if so how does this protect the bacteria frm the antibiotic?

thanx in advance

oh yea in the coursework coz my hypothesis was wrong would i simply admit i was wrong and explain the results.
It's easier for antibiotics to attack gram-positive bacteria than it is for gram-negative bacteria. This is mainly due to the structure of the cell wall.
Gram positive has a spacious cell wall where large antibiotic molecules can slip in and invade the bacterium. Gram negative bacteria, however, have a thick outer membrane as well. They can then destroy the antibiotics in their periplasmic space before it can actually reach the other membrane.
alio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
It's easier for antibiotics to attack gram-positive bacteria than it is for gram-negative bacteria. This is mainly due to the structure of the cell wall.
Gram positive has a spacious cell wall where large antibiotic molecules can slip in and invade the bacterium. Gram negative bacteria, however, have a thick outer membrane as well. They can then destroy the antibiotics in their periplasmic space before it can actually reach the other membrane.
thankyou when u say the molecules slip in could i use the term diffuse just that i have to mention diffusion
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (34)
8.31%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (35)
8.56%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (94)
22.98%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (54)
13.2%
No, nothing has changed (122)
29.83%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
17.11%

Watched Threads