Turn on thread page Beta

biology experts watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi im experimenting the effects of antibiotics on different bacteria for A2 coursework. i predicted that gram positive bacteria will be more protective and have less inhibitions than gram negative coz it has a thicker layer of peptidoglycon.
    my results show that gram negative is more effective however. so wot exactly wud i say in my conclusion? is it coz gram negative has an outer membrane and if so how does this protect the bacteria frm the antibiotic?

thanx in advance

oh yea in the coursework coz my hypothesis was wrong would i simply admit i was wrong and explain the results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    hi im experimenting the effects of antibiotics on different bacteria for A2 coursework. i predicted that gram positive bacteria will be more protective and have less inhibitions than gram negative coz it has a thicker layer of peptidoglycon.
    my results show that gram negative is more effective however. so wot exactly wud i say in my conclusion? is it coz gram negative has an outer membrane and if so how does this protect the bacteria frm the antibiotic?

thanx in advance

oh yea in the coursework coz my hypothesis was wrong would i simply admit i was wrong and explain the results.
    It's easier for antibiotics to attack gram-positive bacteria than it is for gram-negative bacteria. This is mainly due to the structure of the cell wall.
    Gram positive has a spacious cell wall where large antibiotic molecules can slip in and invade the bacterium. Gram negative bacteria, however, have a thick outer membrane as well. They can then destroy the antibiotics in their periplasmic space before it can actually reach the other membrane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    It's easier for antibiotics to attack gram-positive bacteria than it is for gram-negative bacteria. This is mainly due to the structure of the cell wall.
    Gram positive has a spacious cell wall where large antibiotic molecules can slip in and invade the bacterium. Gram negative bacteria, however, have a thick outer membrane as well. They can then destroy the antibiotics in their periplasmic space before it can actually reach the other membrane.
    thankyou when u say the molecules slip in could i use the term diffuse just that i have to mention diffusion

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.