The Student Room Group

introns

Do introns reduce chances of mutation as they provide interruptions in the coding sequences? If a mutation is to happen during replication or due to other reasons, it may happen in the intron region and not in the coding bit?
sorry I accidentally posted this in the medicine forum. This is supposed to go on a level bio
I dont think thats their purpose (j dont know if they have a purpose). But as introns get cut out of mRNA in post-transcriptional modification, that does mean they reduce the chance of a mutation leading to the production of a non functioning protein

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ollier4
I dont think thats their purpose (j dont know if they have a purpose). But as introns get cut out of mRNA in post-transcriptional modification, that does mean they reduce the chance of a mutation leading to the production of a non functioning protein

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really - the chance of a mutation is per nucleotide copied. You still have the same number of nucleotides coding for the functional protein so the same absolute chance of a change in the protein.
Original post by nothepreacher
Do introns reduce chances of mutation as they provide interruptions in the coding sequences? If a mutation is to happen during replication or due to other reasons, it may happen in the intron region and not in the coding bit?

The coding sequence within an intron is still important... A mutation at a certain region within the intron may lead to it not being removed properly.
Original post by Biochemical Wizard
The coding sequence within an intron is still important... A mutation at a certain region within the intron may lead to it not being removed properly.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense
Reply 6
introns make it easier for crossing over to happen without damaging exons
good morning guys
today i was given a gene sequence and i was asked to find the intron and exon sequence. anyone have an idea how to do that ? without any softwares cause i couldnt find it online thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending