Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a job interview on saturday, my first proper one. Its only at a safeway supermarket. lol. i need the weekend work. anyway, what kind of stuff do they ask you in an interview? should I take my record of achievement? and would smart jeans and a black polo neck be ok?

ok, i know some people probably have more important interviews coming up. i mean this is for a supermarket. but still. lol.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to entirely hijack your thread, but does anybody feel that having high grades actually hinders your chances of getting a low pay retail position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainat87)
    Hey, I have a job interview on saturday, my first proper one. Its only at a safeway supermarket. lol. i need the weekend work. anyway, what kind of stuff do they ask you in an interview? should I take my record of achievement? and would smart jeans and a black polo neck be ok?

ok, i know some people probably have more important interviews coming up. i mean this is for a supermarket. but still. lol.

thanks
    I wouldn't wear jeans for any interview. I work as a supervisor for tesco and have sat in several interviews. They're likely to ask you stuff such as what would you do in certain situations (e.g. if you saw someone shoplifting, if you saw a customer that needed help..).
    They may ask you to talk about your experience with dealing with members of the public, what your personal achievements are and what you know about the company. I was asked at my interview "Tell me about yourself". This was quite vague so a structured answer prepared beforehand (though not scripted) is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Sorry to entirely hijack your thread, but does anybody feel that having high grades actually hinders your chances of getting a low pay retail position?

mmm.... I hope not. but then actually my grades aren't too high. mainly B's. but i dunno if it works like that in retail jobs, but i think it does in some high office jobs n stuff.... but actually i have no idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I wouldn't wear jeans for any interview. I work as a supervisor for tesco and have sat in several interviews. They're likely to ask you stuff such as what would you do in certain situations (e.g. if you saw someone shoplifting, if you saw a customer that needed help..).
    They may ask you to talk about your experience with dealing with members of the public, what your personal achievements are and what you know about the company. I was asked at my interview "Tell me about yourself". This was quite vague so a structured answer prepared beforehand (though not scripted) is helpful.
    thanks! ok, i'll think i'll scrap the jeans and go for black trousers. sound beter? as for the "tell me about yourself" that is kinda vague. I wouldn't have a clue what to say!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe for full-time positions where the company would expect you to stay with them, but for students I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to my budgens interview I wore balck trousers and a smart/casual top. The interview itself was great, the only thing they asked was "when do you want to work?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    When I went to my budgens interview I wore balck trousers and a smart/casual top. The interview itself was great, the only thing they asked was "when do you want to work?"

mmm.... now hopefully, mine will go like that. I always get nervous in interviews, even when they are with people i know already (like in college and stuff). I dunno why. i guess its just the situation. i'm fine in all other situations. including exams. its just the interviews that get me....

ReputationRep:
    I have got C's and D's and my weekend job I get £7 an hour! So it is obviously not true...or I'm very very special

Yay! I'm special!

ReputationRep:
    I have never failed an interview (woo!) but as soon as I mentioned Cambridge I could see interviewers thinking that I would never be able to communicate with the "real" people. I soon persuaded them that I was far from high-filuting (umm... is that even a word? [OED says no but my mum says yes..})

ReputationRep:
    What are the typical interview questions supermarkets ask?
    I have a Safeway interview tomorrow, and wanna know what they ask.

Anyone else work or worked at Safeway?

ReputationRep:
    No one seems to want to give me a job
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had an interview at Safeway, but was rejested for being too clever.

I mainly got asked about what hours I would be able to work, and what days. Then there were a few "what would you do in this situation" questions, "what do you do in your spare time" and "how would I get to work"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    No one seems to want to give me a job
    Maybe you are un-jobable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    I had an interview at Safeway, but was rejested for being too clever.

I mainly got asked about what hours I would be able to work, and what days. Then there were a few "what would you do in this situation" questions, "what do you do in your spare time" and "how would I get to work"
    Did they tell you after your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    What are the typical interview questions supermarkets ask?
    I have a Safeway interview tomorrow, and wanna know what they ask.

Anyone else work or worked at Safeway?

i used to ask at interviews (tesco);

'tell me about a situation where you've had to remain calm under pressure'

'what would you do if you saw a shoplifter'

'tell me about yourself' (quite a tricky one for some people, actually!)

'what qualities can you bring to this company'

'what do you think makes you more employable than the last person that came in through the door..'

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you are un-jobable.
    What would make someone "un-jobable"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i used to ask at interviews (tesco);

'tell me about a situation where you've had to remain calm under pressure'

'what would you do if you saw a shoplifter'

'tell me about yourself' (quite a tricky one for some people, actually!)

'what qualities can you bring to this company'

'what do you think makes you more employable than the last person that came in through the door..'
    What would be the best responses to these then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

What would make someone "un-jobable"?
    Ugliness?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Did they tell you after your interview?
    Not immediately after, I had to wait a few weeks

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.