English Lang. & Lit. A1 - paper 1 sample???

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

My paper 1 exam is tomorrow *YIKES* and I thought it would be rather easy to find a sample paper/past paper to practise with, but so far I've only found a paper 2 sample (which I'll practise with as well) provided by the IB itself.

Does anybody know where I can find a sample of paper 1, so I can print it and practise with it???

Good luck with your exams! x

ReputationRep:
    http://nevermindthebllcks.wikispaces.com/

ReputationRep:
    I have that exam as well tomorrow... can't believe it's actually happening! :O
    Here are some resources I found, as well as a sample paper 1 and 2. These were provided by IB, and we used them in our mocks. Some have the markscheme as well, which is super useful. You doing HL as well?
    http://drbateslangandlitworkshop.wik...xam+Papers.pdf
    http://www.englishalanglit-inthinkin...per-1/tips.htm

The reason it's so difficult to find past papers is because this is a new syllabus, so they haven't actually made many samples and there are no past exams to base ourselves off.. :/
    Best of luck to you too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuendaKawaai)
    Here are some resources I found, as well as a sample paper 1 and 2. These were provided by IB, and we used them in our mocks. Some have the markscheme as well, which is super useful. You doing HL as well?

The reason it's so difficult to find past papers is because this is a new syllabus, so they haven't actually made many samples and there are no past exams to base ourselves off.. :/
    Ah, thank you so much! I think those will be very useful!!

So you have paper 2 on Friday as well then? Which books did you study for it?

And yes, I do HL as well, but I only have English as an IB subject, so I'll get the certificate instead of the diploma

ReputationRep:
    Hello, also doing ib english quick question for the exam tomorrow do we have a choice of only two ? My teacher has not really informed me, what to expect, except its not comparing anymore :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuendaKawaai)

Hello, I had a look at the question for paper 2 thank you very much i had no idea it would look like this, however my only concern is say for instance say i studied drama do i need to answer a drama question? what if i do not understand the question fully can i answer another sections question (non fiction or something), and able to answer one of their questions due to my part 3 work am i allowed to do this? :///

Sorry so many questions XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButtonsLost)
    Hello, also doing ib english quick question for the exam tomorrow do we have a choice of only two ? My teacher has not really informed me, what to expect, except its not comparing anymore :/
    For Paper 1, they give you two passages: one prose and one poem. You have to write a commentary on one. My teacher says that she recommends the poem (since you get the whole thing), but it will all depend on the nature of the text itself and what ideas you have for each. For Paper 2, you choose one of (I think) three questions in whatever category of stuff you've been studying and answer based on those texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarnetStone)
    For Paper 1, they give you two passages: one prose and one poem. You have to write a commentary on one. My teacher says that she recommends the poem (since you get the whole thing), but it will all depend on the nature of the text itself and what ideas you have for each. For Paper 2, you choose one of (I think) three questions in whatever category of stuff you've been studying and answer based on those texts.
    Thank you

I meant are you allowed to answer a question from a section you havent study (i.e studying plays but dont answer drama questions), because i am scared i will not fully understand its question but i am able to complete another sections questons without any problems :/ so will the ib not like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarnetStone)
    That is not the case for everyone. We get two sets of two texts (which can be any text type, even visual) and we need to choose one of the sets and compare the two chosen texts in a commentary.
    I believe what I need to do is for HL and yours is for SL? I may be completely wrong, because I only take English at IB level, but that's what I've understood from the explanations I've been given!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, im doing lang & lit SL? so i dont compare if im correct. Im like freaking out now i thought englsh would be fine.

Oh im so stupid was looking at paper 2 literature i was wondering why this was not making sense, and getting nervous XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButtonsLost)
    Hello, im doing lang & lit SL? so i dont compare if im correct. Im like freaking out now i thought englsh would be fine.

Oh im so stupid was looking at paper 2 literature i was wondering why this was not making sense, and getting nervous XD
    Ok, since there are so many questions, here is a basic summary of the exam:

SLs:
    -Paper 1: only have to do a COMMENTARY on one of the two texts given (Text A OR Text B. Don't do both!!). Make sure you discuss the CONTEXT, AUDIENCE, PURPOSE, TONE, STYLISTIC FEATURES.
    -Paper 2: you have to use the TWO TEXTS YOU HAVE STUDIED to answer ONE of the 6 questions given. From my understanding, the HLs will get the exact same questions on the exam as the SLs for Paper 2.

HLs (like me ):
    -Paper 1: We are to choose either Section A or Section B, and compare the texts contained in that section. DO NOT COMPARE A TEXT FROM SECTION A WITH ONE IN SECTION B!! Same as with SL, compare and contrast on context, audience, purpose, tone and stylistic devices/features.
    -Paper 2: using TWO OR MORE TEXTS YOU HAVE STUDIED answer ONE of the 6 questions given.

Paper 2 questions are meant to be quite broad so they can be generalised to many different works. They will often have to do with context of production, reception, gender roles, themes, etc. You should have studied in class how to adapt your responses accordingly. Make sure you use quotations, or you will be in a bit of a pickle.. Remember, you CANNOT HAVE THE TEXT WITH YOU IN THE EXAM. Which sucks, since you have to then memorise about 10-15 quotations for each work that you can use quite easily for any question.

I have studied Macbeth, Antigone and A Streetcar Named Desire. I'm taking the full IB diploma.
    Any other questions, feel free to ask!! they call me the Paper 1 master for a reason

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and here is the magical Paper 1 criteria, do take a look before the exam!
    http://blogs.yis.ac.jp/holoveczi/fil...ent-ttqswu.pdf

ReputationRep:
    HELP

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 24, 2017
TSR Support Team
Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.