Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently went for a job interview with a large multinational company in London NW1.

This was the second / final interview as I had already passed the first, the interviewer was quite new and had only been in his post about five months.

The Sales director of the company started asking me all sorts of way-out questions such as who responsible for my parents divorce and other quite personal stuff, he also asked me details of my relationship with my girlfriend etc etc.

When I repeated these questions (and some more) to someone I know she was shocked and appalled and said that they may even be discriminatory against me and against interview employment Law equal opportunities and all that. She said that depending on what was asked I could have grounds for a tribunal / court case if I was refused the job.

Personally I think that my friend is talking aload of rubbish however would be very interested if anyone can enlighten me.

One reason sighted for not giving me the job was that if I did a part time degree in the evenings it could impair my performance at work.

ReputationRep:
    I havent done employment law but there are certain things that they cant ask you I think such as your sexuality etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I recently went for a job interview with a large multinational company in London NW1.

This was the second / final interview as I had already passed the first, the interviewer was quite new and had only been in his post about five months.

The Sales director of the company started asking me all sorts of way-out questions such as who responsible for my parents divorce and other quite personal stuff, he also asked me details of my relationship with my girlfriend etc etc.

When I repeated these questions (and some more) to someone I know she was shocked and appalled and said that they may even be discriminatory against me and against interview employment Law equal opportunities and all that. She said that depending on what was asked I could have grounds for a tribunal / court case if I was refused the job.

Personally I think that my friend is talking aload of rubbish however would be very interested if anyone can enlighten me.

One reason sighted for not giving me the job was that if I did a part time degree in the evenings it could impair my performance at work.

Nothing wrong with them as far as I can see! Just seeing how you cope under pressure.....

You friend appears to be chatting rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Erm I don't know about some of that stuff, but you are supposed to give them certain details...but not that much information!

ReputationRep:

That is very strange, why would they know your parents are divorced?

The girlfriend question is alright, up to the point of, (assuming you live a distance from London) if she was going to be living with you etc. Anything after that is very dodgy, unless its very informal, some people are just very NOSY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    That is very strange, why would they know your parents are divorced?

The girlfriend question is alright, up to the point of, (assuming you live a distance from London) if she was going to be living with you etc. Anything after that is very dodgy, unless its very informal, some people are just very NOSY!
    Told them my parents were divorced as this was a reason I left a school at short notice mid way through a term.

ReputationRep:
    Told them my parents were divorced as this was a reason I left a school at short notice mid way through a term.
    Hmm, I think its just a nosy person. I'm sure your chances of getting in the company wouldnt be decreased by that.

Your gf thing is certainly alright. Especially if your going to live in London with her e.g. they would want to know will you be able to aford to live there etc.

ReputationRep:
    The job was based up north near me, the interview was just in London.

ReputationRep:
    The job was based up north near me, the interview was just in London.

Fair enough. But I certainly know companies take having a live in partner very serious.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with any of that; they can assess you for a job any way they see fit; you don't have to continue with the process if you don't like it!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.