The Student Room Group

Quick easy excel question help?

Hey. So I'm Using excel, and I want to use an formula in cell. I want to do flow rate / area and have this in the velocity column. To do this I have used cell 012. How do I get it so when I drag the equation down the column, it uses the same cell O12 in the formula? Because now it's trying to use the cell that says velocity XD

I've done this before, but I can't remember how, and it's driving me crazy. It was something like surround by colons, :O12: in the equation, but that doesn't work
I've tried to google it, but can't search it in concise form :colondollar:

( I know I don't need to do this, but It's really annoying me that I can't :smile: )
Reply 1
Original post by beckaroo7
Hey. So I'm Using excel, and I want to use an formula in cell. I want to do flow rate / area and have this in the velocity column. To do this I have used cell 012. How do I get it so when I drag the equation down the column, it uses the same cell O12 in the formula? Because now it's trying to use the cell that says velocity XD

I've done this before, but I can't remember how, and it's driving me crazy. It was something like surround by colons, :O12: in the equation, but that doesn't work
I've tried to google it, but can't search it in concise form :colondollar:

( I know I don't need to do this, but It's really annoying me that I can't :smile: )

The thing you want is called "absolute cell addressing" (as opposed to relative addressing) and you use the dollar sign in the range address in the formula before either the column letter or row number or both

E.g. $O$12 - both column and row are absolute, so when you drag or copy the formula it still refers to O12.

$O12 - the column is absolute, but the row is relative. Drag the formula down and you get references to rows 13, 14 etc, but drag the formula sideways and it still refers to column O.

O$12 - the column is relative (changes when you drag sideways), but the row is fixed (always stays as 12 if you drag the formula down)

HTH :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by davros
The thing you want is called "absolute cell addressing" (as opposed to relative addressing) and you use the dollar sign in the range address in the formula before either the column letter or row number or both

E.g. $O$12 - both column and row are absolute, so when you drag or copy the formula it still refers to O12.

$O12 - the column is absolute, but the row is relative. Drag the formula down and you get references to rows 13, 14 etc, but drag the formula sideways and it still refers to column O.

O$12 - the column is relative (changes when you drag sideways), but the row is fixed (always stays as 12 if you drag the formula down)

HTH :smile:

Thank you this is extremely helpful. It was driving me mad being unable to do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending