The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Psychology BSc degree in The University of Glasgow

Hello,
I'm about to make my firm choice and I would really like to know more about the psychology course that Glasgow is offering. I see that the university is on the top of the ranking tables on the subject but could someone give me more specific information on the quality of the program? For instance how good the teachers are, what learning and teaching methods are accentuated on (lectures or practical classes)? I would really appreciate any pros or cons, experience and opinions that you could share.
Thanks on advance
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to find this out too! Have you firmed Glasgow as your choice?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hey there! I've only just seen this - hoping it's not too late!! I'm just heading into my 4th year of psychology at Glasgow - the course is really good. You'll get some lecturers that are better than others, but they're all high quality and most are happy to give extra support if needed. In first and second year you get 3 lectures a week, and a tutorial so you'll be taught the content and then have a discussion. You'll also have several labs where you get to do some experiments/take part in research/learn how to run your own research.
Reply 3
Sounds amazing! I'm so glad I chose the course :smile: and there probably are great and not-so-great lecturers everywhere, in the end it's partly a matter of taste... Hahha I really can't wait for September!
Original post by Farfrom
Sounds amazing! I'm so glad I chose the course :smile: and there probably are great and not-so-great lecturers everywhere, in the end it's partly a matter of taste... Hahha I really can't wait for September!

You won't be disappointed :biggrin: Maybe see you around the department :P
Original post by jenkatclaire
You won't be disappointed :biggrin: Maybe see you around the department :P

This thread looks so quiet! Where's all the psychology studiers!! Lol I can't waaaait to start :smile: will you all be at freshers :-)?x
Reply 6
Original post by SparklingGrey
This thread looks so quiet! Where's all the psychology studiers!! Lol I can't waaaait to start :smile: will you all be at freshers :-)?x

I will be! I can't wait! :smile: I take it you are too?
Original post by Smithypops
I will be! I can't wait! :smile: I take it you are too?

Yep! BSc in psychology :-) you? Lol I can't wait :-)! Do u know what subjects u wanna do alongside it?x
Reply 8
Yep! BSc in psychology :-) you? Lol I can't wait :-)! Do u know what subjects u wanna do alongside it?x

Me too! :smile: I want to do biology but I'm not sure about the other yet! What about you? I can't wait either! I am ridiculously excited!! :biggrin:
Me too! :smile: I want to do biology but I'm not sure about the other yet! What about you? I can't wait either! I am ridiculously excited!! :biggrin:

Me too :biggrin: I think I'm going to choose biology and sociology if I can! Lol that's the plan anyway! Did u see our registration got shifted from tomorrow to the 26th! I waa really looking forward to making it all official! *boo* lol xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Me too :biggrin: I think I'm going to choose biology and sociology if I can! Lol that's the plan anyway! Did u see our registration got shifted from tomorrow to the 26th! I waa really looking forward to making it all official! *boo* lol xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I want to do English of some sort for my other subject if I can! I don't know if that's possible though lol! I know! I just want to get started already!! :biggrin:
I think I want to do English of some sort for my other subject if I can! I don't know if that's possible though lol! I know! I just want to get started already!! :biggrin:

English as in, Literature? There's English Literature, Comparative Literature and Scottish Literature than can be studied as a third option! I love literature so it intrigued me too :-) lol!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
English as in, Literature? There's English Literature, Comparative Literature and Scottish Literature than can be studied as a third option! I love literature so it intrigued me too :-) lol!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would I be able to do that even if I'm on the BSc? If so then that's fantastic news!! What's the difference between English literature and comparative literature?
Would I be able to do that even if I'm on the BSc? If so then that's fantastic news!! What's the difference between English literature and comparative literature?

You should be able to, yeah! It says the third subject can often be a social sciences or arts subjects dependent on availability and timetabling. That's why I'm choosing Sociology :-).

I don't know if biology is an option at second year though, without chemistry which would be a shame.

Comparative Literature analyses different types of hero: classical, tragic, popular, traditional, comic, anti-heroes etc, analysing the notion of heroism, its absence in our lives and our longing for it as this finds expression in various historical contexts and cultures.

English literature looks at novels and poetry from a range of times like post-modern and 18-19th century literature etc..I did it last year at college and it was absolutely amazing, I loved it! We studied a range of great poems and short stories/novels! Jekyll and Hyde was my favourite!! I love love loveee literature lol x
Reply 14
You should be able to, yeah! It says the third subject can often be a social sciences or arts subjects dependent on availability and timetabling. That's why I'm choosing Sociology :-).

I don't know if biology is an option at second year though, without chemistry which would be a shame.

Comparative Literature analyses different types of hero: classical, tragic, popular, traditional, comic, anti-heroes etc, analysing the notion of heroism, its absence in our lives and our longing for it as this finds expression in various historical contexts and cultures.

English literature looks at novels and poetry from a range of times like post-modern and 18-19th century literature etc..I did it last year at college and it was absolutely amazing, I loved it! We studied a range of great poems and short stories/novels! Jekyll and Hyde was my favourite!! I love love loveee literature lol x

I reeeeeeeally hope I don't have to do chemistry :frown: it's so hard!! :frown: English literature sounds so good! I think I'll send off an email to find out what the possibilities are :smile: thanks a lot!!x
I reeeeeeeally hope I don't have to do chemistry :frown: it's so hard!! :frown: English literature sounds so good! I think I'll send off an email to find out what the possibilities are :smile: thanks a lot!!x

I know, chemistry sucks! You need higher chemistry (B or above) to study chemistry. All of the science subjects have conditions except biology x
Reply 16
I know, chemistry sucks! You need higher chemistry (B or above) to study chemistry. All of the science subjects have conditions except biology x

I crashed it last year and somehow managed to get an A! But I'd hate to have to do that again :/ x
I crashed it last year and somehow managed to get an A! But I'd hate to have to do that again :/ x

Wow! Well done! I was awful at chemistry! Lol x
Reply 18
Wow! Well done! I was awful at chemistry! Lol x

Thanks haha! :smile: I found it so difficult though :/ I hope I'm not forced to pick it hahaha!!x
Thanks haha! :smile: I found it so difficult though :/ I hope I'm not forced to pick it hahaha!!x

I'm sure you won't :-) so still thinking biology and literature :smile:?x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest