The Student Room Group

Is first year really a piece of cake?

So like pretty much everyone else I have been sold the idea that in first year you pretty much do no work for the entire year...is there any truth to this?

(I am probably heading to a good uni for Maths)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGuy117
So like pretty much everyone else I have been sold the idea that in first year you pretty much do no work for the entire year...is there any truth to this?

(I am probably heading to a good uni for Maths)

Some courses, yes. Some courses, no. I can't speak for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If only my course was like that :/
Our first and second year grades dont count towards our degree but its still essays and exams that we need to pass.

Definitely not a piece of cake.
Reply 3
You'll certainly have some work, but generally speaking it's not that intensive. People that do things like Physics, Maths, Computing etc have more work than people who do BA's in most cases.
Even if it's easy, it'll soon start to get harder, and if you go in with the attitude of "I only need 40% and it doesn't even count" you'll pay for it in second year when it does matter.
Reply 5
OP do you mean Scottish or English uni's? Since it's a 4 year degree in Scotland the first year can generally be handled with less vigour than your average 1st year of a 3 year course.
Reply 6
Original post by Arianto
OP do you mean Scottish or English uni's? Since it's a 4 year degree in Scotland the first year can generally be handled with less vigour than your average 1st year of a 3 year course.

English
As a first year nursing student;
- I have 5 assessments due in about 3 weeks (I also did 2 which were due in after xmas) - a total of about 12,000 words
- I have 3 exams this summer (1 done already so two more to prepare for).
- I have 16 weeks of placement where I work 37.5 hours a week on a ward doing all kinds of shifts (late shift -> early shift is horrible)
- During placement, I am expected to write essays and provide evidence for my learning, all of which need to meet set 'competencies' by the end of the year.
- Also during placement, I have to be assessed on things such as fluid balance etc. and have interviews with my mentor and a person from uni so they can discuss my progress.
- I have 2 hour long lectures, followed by 4 hours of 'blended learning (homework), then 2 hour long seminar per topic - all of which is usually crammed into the same week.

I've been told the first year is to scare off anyone who isn't likely to stick around for the entire course...

Probably wont be the same case for maths though :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
English

Just by word of mouth on what it's like in 1st year uni in England I could say what I said before, but I shan't comment further being mis-qualified :dots:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
No course is really easy in first year but you don't have to work that hard (hopefully) to get 40%.
Original post by tooosh
No course is really easy in first year but you don't have to work that hard (hopefully) to get 40%.

My Uni was a piece of p!ss first year. Only about 9000 words worth of work and 2 exams.

2nd year has had about 18000 words worth of work, again nothing too stressful and 2-3 hours in the library 3/4 times a week isn't exactly my idea of a big workload.
Reply 11
Original post by ChapelTom
My Uni was a piece of p!ss first year. Only about 9000 words worth of work and 2 exams.

2nd year has had about 18000 words worth of work, again nothing too stressful and 2-3 hours in the library 3/4 times a week isn't exactly my idea of a big workload.

*most courses aren't really easy in first year etc
Reply 12
I guess it would help if I named the uni, King's. Anybody know if first year will count towards my degree?
First year was an absolute joke. The step up in second year is astronomical.
Reply 14
I guess it would help if I named the uni, King's. Anybody know if first year will count towards my degree?

Kings isn't a top university for maths. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
now that I look back...indeed it was

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just saying as someone who is currently doing maths at King's, there are some courses that were straight forward (like Calculus I, Linear Methods and I'm also tempted to say geometry), but some courses I did was a bitch (abstract algebra and numbers and functions). Don't leave it to the last minute, as I know a lot of people who did and failed exams as a result.
Reply 17
My first year was masses harder than school. I did maths at a decent uni.
Reply 18
Original post by Mathsz0r
Kings isn't a top university for maths. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

:rolleyes: I don't recall saying it was? For the record, I'm predicted A*A*A and declined Warwick and Bath...not everyone is obsessed with league table positions like you seem to be...

On another note, is the "pass rate" always set at 40%?
(edited 10 years ago)
I have known quite a few people fail the first year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending