The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What is I just miss my grades?

Hi I was wondering if Nottingham uni are likely to still accept your offer even if you narrowly miss the grades that they wanted from you. I.e you get AAB when they wanted AAA. If this happened to anyone I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jenbolina
Hi I was wondering if Nottingham uni are likely to still accept your offer even if you narrowly miss the grades that they wanted from you. I.e you get AAB when they wanted AAA. If this happened to anyone I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks

Hi, I'm applying to Nottingham too, and need AAA, can I ask what you're applying for?
As far as I know they don't accept if you miss your offer but it probably differs with different courses and availability of spaces.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have an offer for Maths and Philosophy. What about you?
It depends how subscribed they are. If they have spaces, which is likely especially considering tuition fees, they may still let you or offer you a different course
Original post by 09034958349053
Unis are now allowed unlimited AAB recruitment as well. So you are in a stronger position missing AAA and getting AAB than say missing AAB and getting ABB if that makes any sense.

What does that mean sorry? Unlimited AAB recruitment?
Im pretty sure that they reduced it to ABB for 2013/14.
Reply 6
Original post by 09034958349053
Unis are now allowed unlimited AAB recruitment as well. So you are in a stronger position missing AAA and getting AAB than say missing AAB and getting ABB if that makes any sense.

Sorry that's incorrect for this year. What you're saying applies to last years cycle. The Government have changed it for this year so that unis can recruit unlimitd ABB students or above. So you're now in a stronger position if you miss AAB and get ABB, and in a weaker position if you get below ABB.

Anyway, I have a friend studying Biology at Notts this year who got ABD for her results. So it really varies! They told us for the psychology open day they'll try get us in if we get ABB instead of AAB but it all depends on places!

Source: http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Where_we_stand/Universities_and_Skills.aspx

Action to date
We have relaxed student number controls so that more young people can get to their first choice university.
In 2012, universities were able to recruit as many students as they liked with AAB or better at A-Level.
Through our core-and-margin model, we have facilitated higher education study in local further education colleges, improving access to higher education.
Planned actions
Next year we will further relax student number controls so that universities can recruit as many students as they like with ABB or better at A-Level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
In short: it completely varies.

Student number controls have been widened from AAB to ABB which will make life a little easier for students and institutions, but it's still a ridiculous policy that damages the widening participation and access agendas.

Some Schools/Departments in the University are known for accepting below offers, and have continued that trend.

Arts/social sciences/humanities have seen a decline in applications nationally and are sometimes accepting lower grades.

But all in all, it varies even between years / admissions cycles - you can have a strong year one year, and a poor one the next, and be unable to pinpoint it to anything major.

Forget about what grades you need for now and just concentrate on your exams to make sure you get the best grades possible. What will happen will happen, and you'll find the right path either way :smile:
Reply 8
Are you an international student? cause that could help.

My friend is international and she missed her offer by two grades (AAB -> ABC) however they still let her in. I'm guessing due to the extra finance recieve from international students. I wouldnt bank on it though, as said above how lenient they are depends on the demand for spaces, the degree to which you miss your grades and the strength of your original UCAS application.

You may still be considered, although strive to get the best grades!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending