The Student Room Group

Is it better to work in a big or smaller company?

I currently have two job offers for pretty much the same thing in the IT field (as an IT/programming graduate), both on the same starting salary and both grad schemes.

One is for a global company ~70000 employees, and the other for a smaller well established company of about ~300 employees.

I've worked for a small finance company before and I liked knowing each person and what they did, and I currently work in a larger finance company (international bank) and I can't say the same thing..

I also know the quality of graduates the smaller company takes on are of better calibre than the larger company, and working with great people is something I would love to do.

Saying all that I can't help but feel perhaps a global company is the place to be? Especially considering future prospects.

What would look best on a CV? I want to be happy of course, BUT I'm willing to be less happy (I'll be happy either way) if it means my career prospects after 3-5 years are better.

Any advice anyone?
Original post by Firepanda
I currently have two job offers for pretty much the same thing in the IT field (as an IT/programming graduate), both on the same starting salary and both grad schemes.

One is for a global company ~70000 employees, and the other for a smaller well established company of about ~300 employees.

I've worked for a small finance company before and I liked knowing each person and what they did, and I currently work in a larger finance company (international bank) and I can't say the same thing..

I also know the quality of graduates the smaller company takes on are of better calibre than the larger company, and working with great people is something I would love to do.

Saying all that I can't help but feel perhaps a global company is the place to be? Especially considering future prospects.

What would look best on a CV? I want to be happy of course, BUT I'm willing to be less happy (I'll be happy either way) if it means my career prospects after 3-5 years are better.

Any advice anyone?

There's no absolute 'better' there is only better for you. What person do you think you will be in 3-5 years having been at the small company, compared with the large company? You can't be certain of course, but by and large you are likely to be maximising your potential in the situation you are happiest in - and that sounds like the smaller company.

Just because there are more internal opportunities in a larger company, doesn't mean you will be in a better position to take those opportunities. For example you might find it harder to be noticed in a larger team/office, whereas you might be marked out for advancement more easily in a small team.

Focus on the environment that works better for you personally, rather than any particular technical offering.
Reply 2
Smaller companies usually means more responsibility but often means being overworked and a faster pace and sometimes with less pay and next to no benefits.

Large companies means its harder for you to make an impact but it also means you normally don’t need to work silly hours and get all the benefits that come with working in a larger company.

Opportunities to progress your career is better in a larger company but a smaller company with more responsibility will get you a better footing in a larger company.

Larger companies look better on a CV simply because of how big and thus potentially successful they look and then there’s the brand recognition. Future employers both at the same level as the large company or smaller will have the mentality "If this guy is good enough to work at ... company he’s certainly an attractive match for working here". Sometimes it doesn’t go as far as that but can still be an encouragement to the potential employer.

With all the above mentioned I would consider a company with 300 employees still big so some of the points about small companies will not apply so much.
Original post by rjm101
Smaller companies usually means more responsibility but often means being overworked and a faster pace and sometimes with less pay and next to no benefits.

Large companies means its harder for you to make an impact but it also means you normally don’t need to work silly hours and get all the benefits that come with working in a larger company.

Opportunities to progress your career is better in a larger company but a smaller company with more responsibility will get you a better footing in a larger company.

Larger companies look better on a CV simply because of how big and thus potentially successful they look and then there’s the brand recognition. Future employers both at the same level as the large company or smaller will have the mentality "If this guy is good enough to work at ... company he’s certainly an attractive match for working here". Sometimes it doesn’t go as far as that but can still be an encouragement to the potential employer.

With all the above mentioned I would consider a company with 300 employees still big so some of the points about small companies will not apply so much.

I just tried to pos rep you but apparently I've rated you recently so wasn't able to!
I completely agree with so much of what you've said. I've worked for large companies in the past by my job now is in a small company (approx 25 people overall but really only 5 in my department), and there is a lot more responsibility and it's much faster-paced - all good things! I'm lucky in that the company is doing very well and is continuing to grow and grow, so it's a good position to be in :smile:
I wouldn't enjoy large companies. I lové getting to know people and there's something awful about big internationals that they're so clued Up it's almost like everyones a robot. Personality files out the window And brute force has taken it's place I'm afraid In the most part. There are some multinationals that I like but I would stay local go en the choice. Though everything has it's downsides in black And white I couldn't say which one you'd be better off in.

Though after viewing some of the directors of large companies in The internet I have seen that they talk about The companies having extinction évents And it's made out to me like a war zone. You may have a less stressful time And a lot more real fun at a local. Also large companies are really prône to 'attack' And So i you do not want to be on anyones bad side on the In Or out And once bullets start to fly They can cause lots of damage. I've only skimmed over a business book but I'm very good at It so I assume It literally is comparable to a warzone. It may be actually worse than being in some parts of the armed forces. Though I grew Up not being very well off and I can tell you that large local industries will be The first occupants of The large nationals And be wary going into such a hostile place. There's lots of pressure I think because once They lise compétitive avantage They will go bust faster than a small ones due to Their ability to have lots Also cônes with It The ability to lose just as much but theres no cap on how fast losses can accrue So If you enjoy a fun Life then go ahead.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending