The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SamL94
ok, so forget this degree qualification whateever hes got. if hes so bad, then why, nearly every week, does he say to me stuff such as 'i had another student pass the other day' etc. he seems to have alot of students pass recently.

Just because he says it doesn't mean it's true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by SamL94
well then, you tell me. If i know what side to drive on, then why would i drive on the opposite side?
Are you now claiming you don't know which side of the road to drive on?

anyway, one of them was when i was trying out of the test centre at about 3 mph so no harm done yeah?
No. It's actually worse that you think it's okay to do it. Stay left, or go to France.
Reply 62
Original post by SamL94
no haha I wouldnt be able to drive in a parents car. i wouldnt be confident enough driving in a car that is FULLY under my control (ie no pedals at the passenger side)

Okay, was just an idea. If you're not confident enough, it's fine. It's ultimately just very obvious that your confidence just isn't there. Make sure you're confident in your own ability before you book another test. Ultimately, you need to ask yourself if you'd be confident enough to drive alone. Because that's what will happen when you pass, so if when you pass, you're only going to be happy driving next to your instructor, then you aren't ready to take another test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by SamL94
well then, you tell me. If i know what side to drive on, then why would i drive on the opposite side?

anyway, one of them was when i was trying out of the test centre at about 3 mph so no harm done yeah?

Hint: always on the left

Your nonchalance is quite scary to be honest regarding the only 3mph no harm done.

Original post by SamL94
ok, so forget this degree qualification whateever hes got. if hes so bad, then why, nearly every week, does he say to me stuff such as 'i had another student pass the other day' etc. he seems to have alot of students pass recently.

In all fairness I could tell you I am the Queen. Doesn't make it true. Just because he says he has people passing, unless you see proof there is no way of knowing if he really has or not.
its pretty bad but i've seen worse, my first test wasn't great either, 2 serious and 8 minors or something.
Reply 66
Original post by heirloom
Just because he says it doesn't mean it's true

Posted from TSR Mobile

So now youre calling him a liar? as well as a bad instructor? (not saying youve called him a bad instructor, but others have). anything else you want to accuse him of? He showed me some photos on his phone of some of his passed students with their certificate. let me guess, he photoshopped them? or stole them off the internet?

Pull the other one.
Reply 67
Original post by ANONYM00SE

Your nonchalance is quite scary to be honest regarding the only 3mph no harm done.

thanks for that, I really didnt know that. and putting them in big letters really helped. i would of been too blind to see the writing otherwise.

EDIT: I didnt see that other writing before. not gonna lie to you i dont even know what nonchalance means
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by SamL94
So now youre calling him a liar? as well as a bad instructor? (not saying youve called him a bad instructor, but others have). anything else you want to accuse him of? He showed me some photos on his phone of some of his passed students with their certificate. let me guess, he photoshopped them? or stole them off the internet?

Pull the other one.

I really don't understand why you are getting so stressed about people giving good advice. My first instructor was a very good liar and was just stringing me along for money. It wasn't until I changed instructors that the scales were lifted from my eyes and I could see how bad he really was.
Maybe he isn't a bad instructor and you are the problem. I mean driving on the wrong side of the road. Maybe you're just not meant for driving
Reply 69
I really don't understand why you are getting so stressed about people giving good advice. My first instructor was a very good liar and was just stringing me along for money. It wasn't until I changed instructors that the scales were lifted from my eyes and I could see how bad he really was.
Maybe he isn't a bad instructor and you are the problem. I mean driving on the wrong side of the road. Maybe you're just not meant for driving
How is calling my instructor a lier, when hes shown me prove on his phone (unless hes an amazing photoshopper) good advice?

Believe me, he isnt a bad instructor, all the other instructors know him and hes known as quite a good instructor. So that would
lead you to believe that i am the problem, then?' And what do you mean by 'just not meant for driving'?
Reply 70
never heard of anyone getting too many minors before
Reply 71
To give you an idea if you should have got the hang of driving after 40+ hours in charge of a car.

I have a pilots licence. That takes 42 hours of flying time to obtain.
A plane goes up and down as well as left and right, and you have a lot of other things to do at the same time - radio, navigation etc.

You should be able to go down the correct side of the road, and not be hitting stationary objects after 40 hours.

Go for a trial lesson with another instructor to get an objective view of your driving ability. It's not for everyone. Maybe you are one of life's pedestrians.
Reply 72
Original post by ANONYM00SE

I didnt see that other writing before. not gonna lie to you i dont even know what nonchalance means
Reply 73
Original post by Liftman
To give you an idea if you should have got the hang of driving after 40+ hours in charge of a car.

I have a pilots licence. That takes 42 hours of flying time to obtain.
A plane goes up and down as well as left and right, and you have a lot of other things to do at the same time - radio, navigation etc.

You should be able to go down the correct side of the road, and not be hitting stationary objects after 40 hours.

Go for a trial lesson with another instructor to get an objective view of your driving ability. It's not for everyone. Maybe you are one of life's pedestrians.
One of lifes pedestrians? what does that mean?
Reply 74
Original post by SamL94
How is calling my instructor a lier, when hes shown me prove on his phone (unless hes an amazing photoshopper) good advice?

Believe me, he isnt a bad instructor, all the other instructors know him and hes known as quite a good instructor. So that would
lead you to believe that i am the problem, then?' And what do you mean by 'just not meant for driving'?

The advice was switching instructors. And what I meant is that if he really is as good as you say then there is no hope for you and the roads of Britain would be safer without you on them. I have never heard of anyone driving on the wrong side of the road, twice!! Because you don't seem to comprehend just how dangerous that is I am not going to reply any more, cba with trolls. Good luck in what ever you decide to do
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by SamL94
I didnt see that other writing before. not gonna lie to you i dont even know what nonchalance means

Kind of like you don't care. But not really "I don't care" ... sort of brushing it off. I dunno I'm not good at explaining things.
Reply 76
The advice was switching instructors. And what I meant is that if he really is as good as you say then there is no hope for you and the roads of Britain would be safer without you on them. I have never heard of anyone driving on the wrong side of the road, twice!! Because you don't seem to comprehend just how dangerous that is I am not going to reply any more. Good luck in what ever you decide to do
ok then, if driving on the wrong side of the road is so bad, why didnt my examiner stop the test? if it was that dangerous, surely he should of told me to get out of the car, and let him drive me back to the test centre? No?

Obviously me going onto the other side of the road cant of been that bad, or he would of done that. Surely?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SamL94
ok then, if driving on the wrong side of the road is so bad, why didnt my examiner stop the test? if it was that dangerous, surely he should of told me to get out of the car, and let him drive me back to the test centre? No?

Obviously me going onto the other side of the road cant of been that bad, or he would of done that. Surely?

I'm sorry but :eek: how can you not realise that driving into oncoming traffic is massively dangerous? Maybe the examiner didn't think you'd make the same mistake twice.

And about the instructor, sometimes one person's way of teaching doesn't work for everybody, their method may not be right for you. Its worth trying out another instructor just to see, isn't it?
Reply 78
Original post by feathered-soul
I'm sorry but :eek: how can you not realise that driving into oncoming traffic is massively dangerous? Maybe the examiner didn't think you'd make the same mistake twice.

And about the instructor, sometimes one person's way of teaching doesn't work for everybody, their method may not be right for you. Its worth trying out another instructor just to see, isn't it?
Well I did do the same mistake twice, and he still didnt tell me to pull over, so surely it can't of been that bad.

and how am I supposed to get an instructor that suits my way of learning? I don't even know what my way of learning is. And what if I get a new instructor and I don't like him as much? Like I say, I like my current one. He doesn't knock my confidence or anything. What if I get one thats worse and like tuts when I do stuff wrong, etc? then ill be in an even worse state of driving than I am now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
The point is not to be friends with your examiner. You need to get an examiner that points out every one of your driving faults and motivates you to correct them gradually. The motivation point is something that only you yourself can control and depends solely on how much you want to pass and how serious you are at the lessons. The kind of serious mistakes that you made (plus all the minors) suggest that you have not been taking this process seriously enough. How can you not see that this examiner is not the right one for you and everyone else here can? It seems that you're just making excuses if I'm being really honest and a reality check is in order. I'm sorry but but this is the harsh truth. Passing the driving test is hard work as it takes a lot of self reflection (for some) and constantly concentrating on what you are doing wrong. I would suggest three things: 1) change instructors; 2) take at least 20 more hours of lessons; and 3) take plenty of mock practical tests with your instructor.

I took four mock tests with my instructor in the days leading up to my practical test and I must have passed just 1 (he was extremely strict in marking) and got just 2 minors in the real thing. Toughen up and go for it! Its in your control.

Latest

Trending

Trending