triangle problem.png

I used 0.5(abSin(C)) = Area

So 12.5 = 0.5(5*6*Sin(C))

Sin(C) = 2(12.5)/30

C = Sin-1(5/6)

C = 56.44...

But this can't be true as it's obtuse, am I missing something here? AQA - C2

C = Sin-1(5/6)

So we want an obtuse angle. Sin inverse of 5/6 is 56.44, but it is also an infinite number of other answers. Look at the sin graph and find your correct answer
Reply 2
Original post by 2710
C = Sin-1(5/6)

So we want an obtuse angle. Sin inverse of 5/6 is 56.44, but it is also an infinite number of other answers. Look at the sin graph and find your correct answer

Thank you for replying, but I don't understand what you mean; in terms of applying it to a Sin graph. Could you possibly expand? Sorry!
Reply 3
Not too good at explaining - but as the sin graph goes up and down there will be more than one angle for sin@ = 5/6 - so when u get the 56 degrees, you hav to do 180-56 to find the obtuse angle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367482439.339319.jpg between 0-180 degrees there r two places on the sin graphs where the line is at height 5/6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by MitchHeath
Thank you for replying, but I don't understand what you mean; in terms of applying it to a Sin graph. Could you possibly expand? Sorry!

As Lauren has explained above. What does sin inverse 5/6 mean? It means, for what angle 'x' does sin(x) give me 5/6? Now look at the sine graph between 0 and 360 degrees. You know one answer, you should be able to find the other answer by symmetry.
Reply 6
Original post by MitchHeath

When solving Trig equations and finding the "other solutions" do you use

Graphs
Equations
CAST

Whichever you use ... find another value that has the same Sine

Quick Reply

Latest