The Student Room Group

Having a rethink and i need help

hiya, this is probably in the wrong section but i'm not sure where to put it. My whole life i have wanted to be a doctor and everything about my life has been building towards it but at A-level everything came crashing down, my love for science has now become a love for maths, i can do maths i get maths, but my parents have pushed me towards medicine and with my biomedicine firm and insurance offers done, i realise that isn't want i want to do anymore. I can see myself teaching A-level maths not curing people and i don't know what to do i'm only going to get ABB(maybe an A* in maths) to match my biomed offers but i want to do maths instead what should i do? how do i tell my parents?
If you arent certain you want to do Biomed or Medicine, then dont do it just to please your parents.

One way to approach this is to simply take a Gap Year. Tell your parents that you want to do this first. This takes you out of the race for going to Uni on October and puts the brakes on the decision about 'what course'. Sit your parents down and explain that you are going to take a year out to have a break/get some experience etc from all the stress of exams/make the break from school etc. You dont need to mention your doubts about Biomed at this stage

You can go through Results Day and jut defer your confirmed place to 2014 (it doesnt mean you have to go). Then in October, do some relaxed thinking about what you really do want to do and rethink all your options. This is the point when you could tackle the bigger 'what subject' issue with your family.

Yes, telling parents what they dont want to hear is hard. You might have to be very firm about this and have to dig in your heels so that you dont get 'persuaded' to still do Medicine. This is why a Gap Year is quite a good deflection strategy. You are initially saying 'not yet' not 'No'. It gives them time to get used to this bit and then you can start telling them about the change of course later. It also gives YOU time to think - which you clearly do need to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xampiiexx
hiya, this is probably in the wrong section but i'm not sure where to put it. My whole life i have wanted to be a doctor and everything about my life has been building towards it but at A-level everything came crashing down, my love for science has now become a love for maths, i can do maths i get maths, but my parents have pushed me towards medicine and with my biomedicine firm and insurance offers done, i realise that isn't want i want to do anymore. I can see myself teaching A-level maths not curing people and i don't know what to do i'm only going to get ABB(maybe an A* in maths) to match my biomed offers but i want to do maths instead what should i do? how do i tell my parents?

My daughter also wanted to do medicine - she did her work experience in local hospitals. She raved about doing the degree. It was only when she went onto do a weeks course at Nottingham for potential med students that she realised it was the wrong course for her. She decided she too preferred maths - as you say - she got maths.

There really is no point in doing a degree that you don't want to do - especially if you like maths. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and tell your parents.

You have a couple of choices here - you will not yet have firmed any uni or if you have can you withdraw - so you can apply through clearing or something like that - there will be places for maths - and at good unis. Or you can just apply next year - but if you take a gap year make sure you get a job teaching maths to keep your skills up - or do further maths if you don't have it.

As for your parents - do they think that doing biomed is going to get you into medicine - or are you disappointed that you haven't got a place. My daughter said that she was passionate about her subject. She could earn a lot of money, it was very flexible; she could teach it if she wanted to; it would take her all over the world. And yes it wasn't as sexy as medicine but it was what she wanted to do.

She is now finishing her first year studying maths at uni. She loves it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending