Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can any current Philosophy & Ethic students out there with a few questions i have? How religious based is the subject? How interesting is the subject? How difficult is the subject? Is the workload intense? Does it matter if i didn't take it at GCSE? Thank you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing philosophy at AS so I could try and assist you with some answers. The modules chosen depend on the choice of teacher,so we had the option of doing philosophy of religion,but our teacher chose tolerance instead. The subject is incredibly interesting! I can honestly say I have not studied a subject that has held my attention better, but personally, I have found it challenging due to the work load and difficulty grasping such new and broad information. It doesn't matter if you haven't taken it as GCSE as I jumped into it at AS level and though it has proved difficult, I didn't need prior knowledge.

I recommend it,but only if you're willing to take on a big work load with a great deal of new information.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it at GCSE either and neither did most of the people in my class, doesn't really matter! Honestly if your good at writing essays, can put forward an argument and have a little basic knowledge on the religion of the course.. (my course was based on Christianity and philosophers who studied from a christian perspective) you'll do fine & i'd defiantly recommend it.

The course is quite religious, but you don't need a vast amount of knowledge really just makes it a bit easier if you know some of the ideas of say Christianity, and your course is based on Christianity.

I think the best way to know if you should take it is to have a quick read through of the topics that will be studied and ask yourself if you'd enjoy learning about them. I personally enjoyed learning about Plato & Aristotle in philosophy and abortion & euthanasia in ethics - there was so much to debate and argue about that when it came to revising it wasn't too much of a strain.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy philosophy and ethics, I've found it increasingly more difficult at A2 though. It has broadened my opinions, it's really interesting and works well with other essay based subjects. There are a lot people to remember and you have to be generally open minded in order to understand what they're saying, but you shouldn't be put off by the religion content as it's not their to convert you. I started the course completely against religion, now I've gained a better understanding I've actually got a proper educated argument. It's not an easy subject, but worthwhile if you're willing to put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it! Hard work but I really enjoyed it. I am going to uni to study theology and religious studies in September because of how much I enjoyed philosophy and ethics at alevel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 8, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.