CalDem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm going to the States at the start of June with the Camp America program.
Anyone got any suggestions on which network to buy a SIM for in the US? It'll mostly be used within the US but I'll occasionally be calling back to the UK.
RichardLai
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
Is your current phone unlocked? If not then you need to get it unlocked if you plan to use a USA sim card.

You can purchase any sim card as long as it is AT&T (recommend) or T-Mobile. A Sprint or Verizon sim card will not work in your phone.

You can purchase these before you leave the UK and then buy credit from shops like wallmart. Texts to the UK should be cheap but calls may be expensive so watch your credit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-US-AT-...item27d25d4629

Rates here (just use the example zip code)= http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pla...paidplans.html
Faye_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok. I'm in America, get an unlocked phone with H2o wireless SIM card. It has international calling part of some of the plans....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
CalDem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
It's okay, I've bought a US SIMple Call. They had a deal for CA participants where I got a SIM, $35 of credit, both a +1(US) & +44(UK) number on the one SIM and next day delivery for $20(£12ish).

Their international call plans where buttons as well - it was free to receive both calls and texts and people calling from the UK got UK rates on the +44 number.

I'm happy with my purchase.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does it not say on their website that they give you a free international sim when you go to the hotel in new york?
firegalley246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know if you will be wanting to use mobile data when you are there, but if so just watch out -- the 3G services for T-Mobile USA and AT&T run on different frequencies, and some of the 3G phones that we have here in the UK won't support them. For example, my Lumia 620 only supports the GSM 1800, 850, 900 and 1900 MHz spectrum, so it won't work with T-Mobile's data services above 2G speed (T-Mobile need 1700 and 2100 MHz support in order to get data at 3G speeds, which is what you'd want).
username119464
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Faye_m)
Ok. I'm in America, get an unlocked phone with H2o wireless SIM card. It has international calling part of some of the plans....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi Do you use it, how much MB of internet do you tend to use?
Faye_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by *mMmMm*)
Hi Do you use it, how much MB of internet do you tend to use?
When I was in the USA I used it. I was on wifi a lot so 500mb was enough for me. But now they've changed the plans to better deals! Look on www.h2owirelessnow.com

The good thing is once you finish your data you won't get charged it just stops.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.11%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
64.44%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (17)
12.59%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.22%

Watched Threads