The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bath vs Bristol

So I have received offers from both Bath and Bristol, Bristol's is the harder out of the two to achieve and may be a stretch. I am a UK citizen who has lived in America since the age of 12 and so I applied with international qualifications but as a home student. I am having a hard time deciding because I don't know that much about them. I have heard that Bristol is better, but Bath seems like a great option too. I am studying biology and I also got offers from Edinburgh, Southampton and Exeter if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by emma1220
So I have received offers from both Bath and Bristol, Bristol's is the harder out of the two to achieve and may be a stretch. I am a UK citizen who has lived in America since the age of 12 and so I applied with international qualifications but as a home student. I am having a hard time deciding because I don't know that much about them. I have heard that Bristol is better, but Bath seems like a great option too. I am studying biology and I also got offers from Edinburgh, Southampton and Exeter if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated!

Depends which type of city you want really, as they are very very different! Also, campus or non campus uni?

If you explain your preferences it might be easier for people to recommend one over the other

:smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Hi Emma,

As someone in your situation (I'm a UK citizen, but moved abroad ten years ago and have American qualifications), the first thing you should check is your fee status. I am pretty sure you have to have been living in the UK for the last three years to qualify for UK fees (this is what I was told, and I'm going to be paying international fees despite my UK citizenship). Only with Edinburgh that's different, because they charge English students different fees to Scottish/EU students, so their rules are slightly different.

I had to choose between Bristol and Bath too and chose Bristol, but as its for a completely different field (Politics & IR) its not really comparable. Like Delphinus said, it depends what you're looking for!
Reply 4
Thanks everyone!

I managed to get the UK fee rate as we were able to prove that I was only in the US due to my dad's job so the fees will be 9000 across the board for me.

squeakysquirrel that website was very helpful, it made it so easy to compare the two.

I like the city of Bath, however I have heard that the campus is far away from the city and that the campus itself isn't as nice as Bristol's. I also like the idea of how vibrant Bristol is, but I am worried I will not be able to achieve the A in calculus that was part of their offer (at bath I only need a B). I think I would like a campus uni, the American schools I have looked at all have very nice campuses so I think that is what I prefer.

As far as the biosciences, is one of them better than the other? Also, am I silly to be throwing out Edinburgh?

Sorry for the dilemma :smile: Thanks everyone!
Reply 5
The city of Bath is lovely, one of my favourites, but it is about a fifteen minute bus ride from the campus. The campus itself is nothing to write home about, its one of the big 1960's concrete universities, although it is all around a central campus which Bristol isn't.

I also visited Edinburgh last summer and looked around the uni, it was also really nice, the city is really lively, the uni has really good facilities etc.. its similar to Bristol in how its part of the city and not a remote campus.

Also, don't forget that with UCAS you can put a first choice and an insurance, so you can always put Bristol as your first, and if you don't get that A in calculus, have Bath down as your insurance.

Hope that helps!
I grew up in the area and honestly, whilst Bath is a nice place to visit, Bristol is a much nicer place to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks again! I think I am leaning towards Bristol just because the city sounds like what I am looking for and then I will put Bath as my insurance choice just in case. Does anyone know how lenient Bristol is about letting in people who miss their offer? My offer is an A in Calculus and and A in Biology (I already satisfied another requirement), so if I ended up with a B in Calc, would they perhaps let me in?
Original post by emma1220
Thanks again! I think I am leaning towards Bristol just because the city sounds like what I am looking for and then I will put Bath as my insurance choice just in case. Does anyone know how lenient Bristol is about letting in people who miss their offer? My offer is an A in Calculus and and A in Biology (I already satisfied another requirement), so if I ended up with a B in Calc, would they perhaps let me in?
<br />
<br />

Don't count on it, bit seeing as (a) all unis are struggling a bit for applicants, and b) you'll be paying international fees, you may be alright but there are no guaranteed and the only safe thing to so is to hey the grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending