The Student Room Group

Please help me choose my A-Level options?

I have to choose my A-Level options soon but I'm having a bit of trouble. I initially wanted to take French, German, Economics and History at A-level but the options have been put into 4 separate boxes and you are only allowed to pick one option from each of the boxes. Unfortunately, German, Economics and History in English and through the medium of welsh, are in the same box. I want to take French and German as they are my strongest subjects and the ones I get the most enjoyment from, I don't see the point of taking a subject I won't enjoy. I've inquired about the options yet nothing can be done. College is not an option since my school's sixth form is the only place in my home county that offers German at A-Level and according to my German teacher, there is only one place that offers it in a neighboring county but it is too far from home. So I must take a third option and this is where I'm having trouble deciding. I'm not confident in my ability to take a Science A-Level, plus the only one that will not cause an option clash is Chemistry which is my weakest. I can't take A-Level maths since I did not take the additional maths course because I didn't see myself with the need to take Maths and I really regret that now. I can't take English because the course is English and English literature, I struggle in literature and the same applies to Welsh. The only options left that I could potentially take are applied business and Sociology, which one should I do? I don't like the idea of applied business as many of the people I talk to refer to it a soft version of Economics and I'm quite skeptical of the respect Sociology gets as a Subject. If it is any help, I hope to do an undergraduate joint honors degree in French and German and then an International commercial Law Masters. I'd appreciate any advice, I'm in a real predicament.
Reply 1
I didn't do Additional Maths and right now I'm doing Further Maths and Normal Maths, getting As in both. So don't automatically think that just cause you didn't do additional it doesn't mean you can't do it. I'd suggest to take a Language you enjoy the most between those 2. Economics I do that and it's a lot of writing and it is pretty hard. Good luck.
Reply 2
You don't need to have done additional maths to do A-level maths. I did normal GCSE maths and I'm doing maths now at A-level.
I thought for English you could choose to do either English language or English literature.
Economics definitely is a lot of work, many of my friends take it, they enjoy it because it's a new subject but at the same time find it hard and a lot of work.
If you can't take both languages I guess nothing can be done about it.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest