Turn on thread page Beta

Atheists and irreligious people watch

ReputationRep:
    Marry each other and help prevent the spread of the world's deadliest disease. Women in particularly, you seem to be the most willing to go along with someone's strange fairy tales and reactionary nature.

This doesn't mean ban religions or ban the marriage of atheists to religious people (although if people actually followed their religion, they wouldn't do that anyway, most of the time). It just means make the world better though your freedom of choice.

If you strongly disagree with this then you must be a really pathetic person.

"OOOH NO, their poor little religions, think of the children WAAAARGHHHH!"

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about atheists is we aren't intolerant ********s like religious people. Oh wait. Nice one.

ReputationRep:
    You have a retarded concept of tolerance if you think that it requires changing one's believes so suit the other party and also marrying them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    The best thing about atheists is we aren't intolerant ********s like religious people. Oh wait. Nice one.
    You clearly do not understand what tolerance actually means and entails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJim)
    You have a retarded concept of tolerance if you think that it requires changing one's believes so suit the other party and also marrying them.
    Why would you have to change your beliefs to marry someone? My dads an outspoken atheist while my mums a Christian. My first girlfriend was also a Christian.

Telling people who they should marry is intolerant. If you only want to date atheists fine, to be honest it can be a bit awkward dating religious people. But telling other people what to do is one of the worst things about religion. One of the great things about atheism is we have no priests, popes, prophets or Gods telling us how to live our lives. We don't need you filling that gap.

Very common religious behaviour is bullying the children into marrying someone of the same religion, and usually the same sect. I would never tell my children who to marry. Your statements condradict the very reason I'm anti religious.

ReputationRep:
    I literally don't know any religious people....don't know why people on TSR make such a big deal about it. Admittedly most of my friends are white apart from 1 or 2, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I don't see religious as being fair enough because it's "their religion" and that's "their culture" or any of that simplistic crap. Maybe I see it as brainwashing and crazed. Maybe I don't want any children to be raised with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJim)
    Maybe I don't see religious as being fair enough because it's "their religion" and that's "their culture" or any of that simplistic crap. Maybe I see it as brainwashing and crazed. Maybe I don't want any children to be raised with it.
    It's easy. If you do fall in,love with a religious girl, tell her that it is a deal breaker that the kids have to be raised secular. If I have a kid and they say "is there a God", I'll say "a lot of people think there is, a lot of people think there isn't. You have to decide for yourself when you're older". You seem to assume a religious parent and a nonreligious parent equals a religious upbringing, I don't understand why. Surely both sides are tolerant, or they wouldn't be together. So the natural course of action is to raise the child to be open minded.

ReputationRep:
    Atheists in western countries have simply transferred their allegiances to the transexual goddess of "equality".
    Of course, "equality", an attempt to legislate human nature out of existence, requires an external moderator. That moderator is the State. And the State is now their God.

Pascal's "God-Shaped Vacuum" has come home to roost, and those that are not indoctrinated in the leftist "progressive" cult bear witness to their "moral high ground" insanity.

ReputationRep:
    You've lost me.

ReputationRep:
    Religious people aren't all 'God hates ****' and 'Kill the Kuffar'. You seem to have a warped perception of what religious people are really like. Sure you get people like that within both religions, but then again you also have atheists who believed that no one should have religious freedom such as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJim)
    Marry each other and help prevent the spread of the world's deadliest disease. Women in particularly, you seem to be the most willing to go along with someone's strange fairy tales and reactionary nature.
    What so not believing in god is worse than cancer or aids is it:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    What so not believing in god is worse than cancer or aids is it:rolleyes:
    Actually I interpreted it (with the aid of subsequent posts) as religion being the world's deadliest disease. Makes more sense, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get this thread. What does atheism have to do with HIV/AIDS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_prisoner)
    Atheists in western countries have simply transferred their allegiances to the transexual goddess of "equality".Of course, "equality", an attempt to legislate human nature out of existence, requires an external moderator. That moderator is the State. And the State is now their God.Pascal's "God-Shaped Vacuum" has come home to roost, and those that are not indoctrinated in the leftist "progressive" cult bear witness to their "moral high ground" insanity.
    When did God ever prescribe inequality?

ReputationRep:
    MrJim, if you believe all religious people are delusional believers in fairy tales, and that religion is a "disease", then that is a deficiency on the part of your understanding of the world, not of the religious. You are essentially the same as a Christian coming on here and imploring all Christians to stop the spread of the disease of "atheism". Both such attitudes are intolerant, ignorant and really have no place in a civilised discussion.

ReputationRep:
    It's so easy to say something is so bigoted or intolerant. This kind of thing annoys me. Bloody cultural and moral relativists who would do anything for a quiet life. The kind of people who would join the Universal Unitarian Church (which is more or less an atheistic organisation) for the sake of appearing religious to please popular opinion in their town. *******s. Religion causes all kinds of **** and literally every religious leader watches over their flock to make sure the numbers stay high. You want statements? I can find you statements by Maronites (Catholics) in Lebanon, Buddhists in Myanmar, Muslims in various places taking about the Muslim population in Europe, KKK type American Christians counting white births, Jewish groups kicking off about Jewish women marrying Arabs and having patrols to stop them from mixing in Israel, Macedonian and Albanian politicians talking about demographic change and telling people to have as many babies as possible. It goes on and on. None religious, liberal, modern thinking people are kind of blind to it and gormless through their caring, kind hearted nature and due to the extent that the internalise a kind of universal brotherhood of man and universal values that are not taken so seriously by people who are more into their religious affiliation. Religions exist in the way that they do now because the leaders have made sure they continue, banning intermarriage, "we can marry their women but they can't marry ours, UHUHUHUHUH" (Islam), TV commercials telling American jews not to marry goys, honour killings, child marriage etc.

Basically if you want your way of life to continue in this world, you can't fill you mind with Kantian morality and gormlessness, you have to have a godless movement that is self perpetuating and expanding. The Storming of Heaven takes an army, not some childless neckbeards and ultra feminists.

Religion has caused more problems over a longer period of time for humanity than HIV/ Aids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the illuminator)
    When did God ever prescribe inequality?
    In the Old Testament, Talmud and Koran. Repeatedly and undeniably. The New Testament has the blood curse, which isn't much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJim)
    It's so easy to say something is so bigoted or intolerant. This kind of thing annoys me. Bloody cultural and moral relativists who would do anything for a quiet life. The kind of people who would join the Universal Unitarian Church (which is more or less an atheistic organisation) for the sake of appearing religious to please popular opinion in their town. *******s. Religion causes all kinds of **** and literally every religious leader watches over their flock to make sure the numbers stay high. You want statements? I can find you statements by Maronites (Catholics) in Lebanon, Buddhists in Myanmar, Muslims in various places taking about the Muslim population in Europe, KKK type American Christians counting white births, Jewish groups kicking off about Jewish women marrying Arabs and having patrols to stop them from mixing in Israel, Macedonian and Albanian politicians talking about demographic change and telling people to have as many babies as possible. It goes on and on. None religious, liberal, modern thinking people are kind of blind to it and gormless through their caring, kind hearted nature and due to the extent that the internalise a kind of universal brotherhood of man and universal values that are not taken so seriously by people who are more into their religious affiliation. Religions exist in the way that they do now because the leaders have made sure they continue, banning intermarriage, "we can marry their women but they can't marry ours, UHUHUHUHUH" (Islam), TV commercials telling American jews not to marry goys, honour killings, child marriage etc.

Basically if you want your way of life to continue in this world, you can't fill you mind with Kantian morality and gormlessness, you have to have a godless movement that is self perpetuating and expanding. The Storming of Heaven takes an army, not some childless neckbeards and ultra feminists.

Religion has caused more problems over a longer period of time for humanity than HIV/ Aids.
    You're equating all the religious together. Why should the moderates suffer because of the actions of a vicious minority? The vast majority of the religious (which is also the vast majority of people) are simply normal people, going on with their day to day lives. You're looking at things too simplistically. The world is not some Hegelian progression where we outgrow religion to join some bright utopia.

This is a world where even Buddhists, a religion which demands peace entirely, call for the deaths of others- religion is not the problem, humanity is. Religion has been an integral part of humanity for centuries. We have not experienced an "atheist" world until recently. The problems supposedly caused by religion cannot be so, when the religious themselves represent such a broad spectrum of tolerance, intolerance, hatred and peace.

You talk of the crimes of the religious, and yet ignore Pol Pot's massacres, the destruction of the church and the sending of priests to the Gulags, the Red Terror in Spain- all done in the name of the eradication of religion. Religion is not an inherently bad thing. The problem comes when people try to get around the restrictions of religion, which has forced them to twist them to their own designs. The reforms in the medieval Catholic Church which led to increased homophobia and the ban on marriage amongst priests (among other things) were not motivated by the teachings of Jesus but by a desire to control society. The Crusades, holy war, persecutions; all these things can be seen as simply ways for those who wanted power, money and land and control, a desire to eliminate non-conformity.

Even now, the actions of extremists simply represent a remnant of this taken to the extreme. The fear of the "outsider" was what led homosexuality, racism, persecution of other creeds and many other forms of intolerance to thrive. Relgion was merely the catalyst.

And religion has done plenty of good in the world. Charity, social reform, and many other good things have had a strong religious backbone behind them. You can't simply write off all religion as wrong merely because of the actions of a minority of extremists.

Frankly, I don't care if someone is an atheist, an agnostic, a Christian, Muslim, Jew, homosexual blind leper dwarf, or a Zoroastrian. All of those people have the capacity for doing good in the world, and all have the capacity to cause evil. I strongly distrust utopianism, so if you really wish to enact a "storming of heaven" and eradicate people's deeply held philosophical and spiritual beliefs merely for the sake of creating some twisted, hypothetical world order founded in the intolerance of the beliefs of others because frankly, that kind of attitude reduces us to mere savagery.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that there are irreligious people who believe in God right?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.