Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Lit/Lang ELLA 1 (Fri 17th May) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Guys, could not seem to find a thread for this exam so thought I could make it.

As the exam is two weeks tommorow, how has your preparation/revision gone?

What two novels did you study?

What sort of grades do you want and think you can achieve!

If you have any revision material/tips ect. Feel Free to share...

I studied Jane Eyre by Bronte and Property by Valerie Martin

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking this exam on Friday 17th - I studied Streetcar Named Desire, Purple Hibiscus for ELLA1, and Othello for ELLA2.
    Any notes on these would be useful!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Property & Streetcar for ELLA1 and Othello for ELLA2 as well.
    Stressing out! If anyone has any tips that'd be great!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Property and School for Scandal for ELLA1 and All My Sons For ELLA2. I'm a little anxious and stressed but I've been revising for over a month and I've been hitting my desired grade (C) in assignments so I'm feeling ready.

However, The language analysis is getting me worked up as its my weakest area. Any advice on revising it anyone?

(Original post by cultlogic)
    I'm doing Property & Streetcar for ELLA1 and Othello for ELLA2 as well.
    Stressing out! If anyone has any tips that'd be great!
    I Would try listening to some music or if you find it distracting try Simply Rain. I Found it great for stress. Try it, its free and easy to use.

http://rain.simplynoise.com/

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing Streetcar and Property for ELLA1 and then The Lovely Bones for ELLA2. Predicted B's and A's but I'm also doing my ELLA3 in 3 weeks too as I'm doing my 2 year Alevel in 1 year. So studying very very hard!!

The only thing I'm worried most about it Property in ELLA1. I'm doing the analytic question on Property and the Production on Streetcar as apparently the people who have figured out which book they are doing for each question and have revised them in that form come out with the highest marks. So hopefully I'll be okay!

Stressed up to the eyeballs with doing 2 years in 1 though. I've already completed my A2 coursework and received a B but I was 3 marks off an A!!! Was gutted but its the marks that count for coursework not the grades apparently.

For the analytic I've basically set myself a plan out and I'm going to look at Lexis, Syntax/Grammar, Cohesion to come up with my answer. But for the narrative viewpoint part of the question I'm going to use the Representations of Speech that you learn for ELLA2 and add them all in together as that sums up language and viewpoint.

Fingers crossed we'll all do well!! Any other tips anyone has would be amazing though!! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ^
    That sounds like a good idea! I def. think doing the exam with all the knowledge learned from ELLA2 will help give a strong answer, hopefully!
    Right now I'm just making up essay questions and typing up quick, concise plans on my phone, I was doing it today on the bus haha. But it really helps to reiterate your knowledge of the book and think fast because in the exam there obviously won't be time to be faffing about looking for extracts and such.

I had kind of been panicking about the creative response question and today one of my English teachers gave a revision session and her tips were super helpful! She said to first highlight the key points the question to cover, such as whether it's writing a letter, an extra scene, extended dialogue etc. - but I think this is quite obvious. Then go through finding quotes to get a sense of the character's voice and sum up their feelings and thoughts and link that to the topic of the question, somehow these two things never crossed my mind in planning which is probably why I have to re-sit! Hopefully that makes sense.

Planning on re-reading the books as much as possible before Friday, not stressful at all :awesome:

Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    ^
    That sounds like a good idea! I def. think doing the exam with all the knowledge learned from ELLA2 will help give a strong answer, hopefully!
    Right now I'm just making up essay questions and typing up quick, concise plans on my phone, I was doing it today on the bus haha. But it really helps to reiterate your knowledge of the book and think fast because in the exam there obviously won't be time to be faffing about looking for extracts and such.

I had kind of been panicking about the creative response question and today one of my English teachers gave a revision session and her tips were super helpful! She said to first highlight the key points the question to cover, such as whether it's writing a letter, an extra scene, extended dialogue etc. - but I think this is quite obvious. Then go through finding quotes to get a sense of the character's voice and sum up their feelings and thoughts and link that to the topic of the question, somehow these two things never crossed my mind in planning which is probably why I have to re-sit! Hopefully that makes sense.

Planning on re-reading the books as much as possible before Friday, not stressful at all :awesome:

Good luck guys!
    Ah thanks for those tips! I'm resitting this exam (Property and The Kite Runner) but haven't had any lessons on it this year so all the obvious stuff has been forgotten it would seem! Really nervous as I have done so little work for it! And I need an A! Ahh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck tomorrow everyone!! We'll all do great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yana27)
    I'm taking this exam on Friday 17th - I studied Streetcar Named Desire, Purple Hibiscus for ELLA1, and Othello for ELLA2.
    Any notes on these would be useful!
    I studied all the same books you did, how did you find the exam. I did Streetcar for the analysis question and Purple Hibiscus for the production question.

ReputationRep:
    I did streetcar analysis. I did scene 1, 4 and 7

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went okay. Did the analysis on baba's attitudes towards amir for kite runner, and gaudet's conversation with a friend about manon's examination by dr Sanchez for property, and everyone else in my class did the same haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxo)
    I thought it went okay. Did the analysis on baba's attitudes towards amir for kite runner, and gaudet's conversation with a friend about manon's examination by dr Sanchez for property, and everyone else in my class did the same haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For Property it said write in the third person, the whole class messed this up. We all wrote in the first person, I did a Manon introduction saying something like 'I can imagine him now..blahblahblah' Our teacher said this should only lose 2-3 marks, the essential factor was that we captured the voice of Manon's husband....anyone else make this mistake of writing in the first person? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makarov)
    For Property it said write in the third person, the whole class messed this up. We all wrote in the first person, I did a Manon introduction saying something like 'I can imagine him now..blahblahblah' Our teacher said this should only lose 2-3 marks, the essential factor was that we captured the voice of Manon's husband....anyone else make this mistake of writing in the first person? :s
    My class was confused by this as well, I wrote like
    "I don't like manon" gaudet said
    Is that right? I have no idea :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey who did the kite runner question on this exam what points did you make or which scenes did u pick to analyse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxwendyxx)
    hey who did the kite runner question on this exam what points did you make or which scenes did u pick to analyse
    I did this q. I did the bit where Amir starts crying after the chapandaz fell off his horse and baba was hiding his disappointment and then the later Convo between Rahim khan and baba. Then I contrasted this bit with after amir wins the kite tournament and baba seems proud of him, because amir has finally done something baba did when he was younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh okay also picked the rahim khan conversation scene too and when ali showed his story to baba and contrasted it to after the tournament too ,but i dont know if this points are valid but i suggested baba's attitude was because amir reminded him of his wife and also the fact he couldnt acknowledge hassan who was more like him openly as his legitimate son....wanted to do the scene when they were in the garden planting tulips but i ran out of time didnt get much figures of speech like metaphor simile and so did you? im am just trying to estimate how my essay would be graded as i am independent student and only started studying for this in jan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxo)
    I did this q. I did the bit where Amir starts crying after the chapandaz fell off his horse and baba was hiding his disappointment and then the later Convo between Rahim khan and baba. Then I contrasted this bit with after amir wins the kite tournament and baba seems proud of him, because amir has finally done something baba did when he was younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh okay also picked the rahim khan conversation scene too and when ali showed his story to baba and contrasted it to after the tournament too ,but i dont know if this points are valid but i suggested baba's attitude was because amir reminded him of his wife and also the fact he couldnt acknowledge hassan who was more like him openly as his legitimate son....wanted to do the scene when they were in the garden planting tulips but i ran out of time didnt get much figures of speech like metaphor simile and so did you? im am just trying to estimate how my essay would be graded as i am independent student and only started studying for this in jan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxwendyxx)
    Those are good scenes. I didn't out any figures of speech ****. I done this exam last year and got a B, but need an A, did hardly any revision though and forgot what they were looking for! So wishing I'd done a bit more revision an practice stuff now, literally didn't even pick up my 2 books for the exam until a couple of days before -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do Property analysis and Streetcar production?
    I was so happy when I saw the Property question, it's exactly what I'd revised for, and I was hoping for a Streetcar scene. Hopefully I did pretty well!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do Property analysis and Streetcar production?
    I was so happy when I saw the Property question, it's exactly what I'd revised for, and I was hoping for a Streetcar scene. Hopefully I did pretty well!
    I did property analysis and streetcar production. I LOVED the questions!! Love writing to convey Stanley's voice and the theme of property was really easy, think I wrote about 4 or 5 sides and analysed three sections instead of two. Hopefully I've done well too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2015

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.