The Student Room Group

Phase difference graph help

I have a question to draw the graph of a wave with a phase difference of 60o and 0.5I intensity to an already drawn wave of intensity I and amplitude 10cm and period 30s . So from the formula I=KA2. I got the new amplitude as 7cm. If I am to have a phase difference of 60o, should the frequency of the new wave be the same as the former because from the formula I=kA2f2, I thought new f will be different foe different intensity but how can you get a constant phase difference of 60o if new f is different from old f.
Original post by Lelyke
I have a question to draw the graph of a wave with a phase difference of 60o and 0.5I intensity to an already drawn wave of intensity I and amplitude 10cm and period 30s . So from the formula I=KA2. I got the new amplitude as 7cm. If I am to have a phase difference of 60o, should the frequency of the new wave be the same as the former because from the formula I=kA2f2, I thought new f will be different foe different intensity but how can you get a constant phase difference of 60o if new f is different from old f.

The two waves must have the same frequency if you are to be able to draw a second wave with a phase difference of 60 degs to the 1st. Otherwise the phase difference is not constant and changes with time. The two waves are then just shifted by the fraction (60/360) of a wavelength.

Quick Reply

Latest