The Student Room Group

South East Asia Gap Year and possibilities

Hi, I am a sixth former and looking at organising a gap year next year before diving into uni but not sure how to go about doing it. The countries I have my eye on are Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and other countries around there, and I am wondering if there is anyone that has travelled to and around these countries in the past and could offer me some advice?

I am travelling on my own as I really want to throw myself into the unknown and so I don't know how organised the trip has to be or whether it can be quite an unorganised trip and sort of go where I want to? I have my eye on a volunteering placement in Laos and the 4 week Thailand Experience with RealGap, but other than that I would like to just bagpack and travel. I would have to save up money for the first half of the year and hopefully I'd head off around January/February/March next year. Thank you for reading and I hope you can give me some advice! :smile:
Original post by chipwitter
Hi, I am a sixth former and looking at organising a gap year next year before diving into uni but not sure how to go about doing it. The countries I have my eye on are Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and other countries around there, and I am wondering if there is anyone that has travelled to and around these countries in the past and could offer me some advice?

I am travelling on my own as I really want to throw myself into the unknown and so I don't know how organised the trip has to be or whether it can be quite an unorganised trip and sort of go where I want to? I have my eye on a volunteering placement in Laos and the 4 week Thailand Experience with RealGap, but other than that I would like to just bagpack and travel. I would have to save up money for the first half of the year and hopefully I'd head off around January/February/March next year. Thank you for reading and I hope you can give me some advice! :smile:

Indonesia, seriously, it is gorgeous. Check out this article about Indonesia. Thailand's also nice, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Real Gap Helper
Hi Chipwitter! I'm Laura, and I'm the Social Media Exec at Real Gap. Just seen that you're thinking about jumping on board on the Thailand Experience, and just thought I'd give you a bit of advice!

It looks like you're quite nervous about the idea of travelling on your own, but you needn't be! Approx 70% of our travellers travel on their own- which means you're bound to meet loads of people just like you, who are after a bit of security. Volunteering is also a fantastic way to do this as I'm sure the group you'll be with will have a real camaraderie, especially as you'll all be mucking in together.

Our Thailand Experience is one of our most popular trips, the group size ranges from 6-36 depending on the time of year and the adventure will take you from Bangkok, to Erawan Falls, up to northern Thailand to volunteer for a week and then onto Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party! It's the sort of trip that'll really help you come out of your shell- but if you're nervous about travelling in a bigger group (ie- 36) then maybe one of our other trips, or a quieter time of year would suit you better?

I know it's hard to choose a big trip, so it's definitely something that's worth taking the time out to consider. If you do need any further advice, feel free to pop over to our Twitter or Facebook pages! Rest assured, going to explore the world will definitely one of the best things you'll ever do!

Happy travelling! :smile:

Hi Laura, thank you for your advice!

Yes I have no idea what to expect when I'm planing on going to all these different countries I know hardly anything about. But I guess thats part of the adventure and the fun of it all, which is why I'm quite excited about losing myself in these countries too.

I feel that doing something like the Thailand experience at the beginning of my time abroad will help settle me into the travelling and responsibility involved.

Really can't wait to get out there and see the world though, may just stay out there forever!
Reply 4
Original post by zahraamalias
Indonesia, seriously, it is gorgeous. Check out this article about Indonesia. Thailand's also nice, though.

I've heard its a beautiful place from so many people. One of the reasons it was first on the list of countries I wanted to go to when I started thinking about travelling to SE Asia. One of my teachers goes loads and so I am going to go and talk to him about where to go as he calls himself an expert.
Reply 5
Hi

My sister went to Cambodia last year with a company called My Gap Year. She had a great time and her trip included clubs and pubs, shopping and dinner at restaurants in the price. as well as volunteering at an orphanage . She never stops talking about it. you should check them out. They are based in australia but that didn't make any difference.
Original post by Real Gap Helper
Hi Chipwitter! I'm Laura, and I'm the Social Media Exec at Real Gap. Just seen that you're thinking about jumping on board on the Thailand Experience, and just thought I'd give you a bit of advice!

It looks like you're quite nervous about the idea of travelling on your own, but you needn't be! Approx 70% of our travellers travel on their own- which means you're bound to meet loads of people just like you, who are after a bit of security. Volunteering is also a fantastic way to do this as I'm sure the group you'll be with will have a real camaraderie, especially as you'll all be mucking in together.

Our Thailand Experience is one of our most popular trips, the group size ranges from 6-36 depending on the time of year and the adventure will take you from Bangkok, to Erawan Falls, up to northern Thailand to volunteer for a week and then onto Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party! It's the sort of trip that'll really help you come out of your shell- but if you're nervous about travelling in a bigger group (ie- 36) then maybe one of our other trips, or a quieter time of year would suit you better?

I know it's hard to choose a big trip, so it's definitely something that's worth taking the time out to consider. If you do need any further advice, feel free to pop over to our Twitter or Facebook pages! Rest assured, going to explore the world will definitely one of the best things you'll ever do!

Happy travelling! :smile:
Reply 6

you should look at www.mygapyear.com.au they offer volunteer programs that include nights out at pubs with other volunteers, shopping, clubbing and more
Reply 7
Hello, I just came across your post and just wanted to let you know that in February of this year I went to Laos with GVI to do the program you are looking at. It was AMAZING! You have got to do it! The people you meet are amazing, having new friends from around the world is pretty cool! The novices are so sweet and its so interesting learning about their life. Laos itself is the most incredible place I have ever been. Its like going back in time! There's no chain stores or a lot of cars, its so beautiful.
How long are you thinking of doing it for?

I am also in my gap year and was really nervous to go alone, but honestly, i'm so glad I did go alone and not with someone else, it makes you be that extra bit more social and make really good friends with people.

Thailand was also so much fun!

Hope it all works out well for you, good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by nwes12
Hello, I just came across your post and just wanted to let you know that in February of this year I went to Laos with GVI to do the program you are looking at. It was AMAZING! You have got to do it! The people you meet are amazing, having new friends from around the world is pretty cool! The novices are so sweet and its so interesting learning about their life. Laos itself is the most incredible place I have ever been. Its like going back in time! There's no chain stores or a lot of cars, its so beautiful.
How long are you thinking of doing it for?

I am also in my gap year and was really nervous to go alone, but honestly, i'm so glad I did go alone and not with someone else, it makes you be that extra bit more social and make really good friends with people.

Thailand was also so much fun!

Hope it all works out well for you, good luck!

AHH I'M SO GLAD YOU CAME ACROSS MY THREAD!! Really good to hear you had an incredible time in Laos; I've heard its somewhere you struggle to not relax in aha, which is why its top of my list of countries to visit. My curiosity over Buddhism has grown and grown over the last few years after reading books on the Dalai Lama and learning how fulfilled there lives are and how wise that special man is and so I thought that a volunteering programme involved with young Buddhist Monks would be a great chance to learn about the Buddhist culture, and maybe get into meditation if theres an opportunity to do so? I hope to do it for 5-8 weeks-ish because I really like the look of the programme and so thought the longer I did it the better it'd be!

What other countries did you visit whilst you were travelling around SE Asia? And are there any places in particular you fell in love with and would recommend visiting?

Really reassuring to hear that you had a fantastic time on my own too, was really unsure over whether it was a good idea but I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of travelling solo as it sounds like its easy to bump into people in similar situations and make friends whilst out there!

Thank you so much for getting in contact, you have no idea how mud help you have been aha! Can't thank you enough!!
Reply 9
For anyone wanting a cheaper volunteer option try originalvolunteers.co.uk. My daughter used them in Africa, though they have lots of projects worldwide (way cheaper than most companies). Having gone away with backup from a volunterr company she then went on to travel from Nepal to India to Thailand to Laos to Cambodia to Vietnam .. on her own! She had an amazing time and took literally thousands of photos. She had a few interesting times but got to know lots of people as she travelled and pretty much made up the route as she went (apart from a few flights!).She says it's great to travel alone and meet people and it certainly made the break from home to uni a doddle. Go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest