Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am resitting this on the 14th of May but I haven't done much work on it since I sat it first time last year and most of my notes aren't making much sense to me as it's been so long. Does anyone have any good notes, writing techniques, predictions, etc they'd be willing to share?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as it focused on public health last year, I'm 80% sure it wont come up again on this summer paper.

Here I wrote a complete essay layout/plan to help with this question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post42278309

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Seeing as it focused on public health last year, I'm 80% sure it wont come up again on this summer paper.

Here I wrote a complete essay layout/plan to help with this question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post42278309
    I don't think I can thank you enough for drawing my attention to that thread! I've been so worried about the 70 mark question as our teacher has done nothing on its structure at all. That was super helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine Jess)
    I don't think I can thank you enough for drawing my attention to that thread! I've been so worried about the 70 mark question as our teacher has done nothing on its structure at all. That was super helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem! I followed that and got 90%+ (not sure what) but a very high A. Hopefully it will be of some use to you!

ReputationRep:

Here I wrote a complete essay layout/plan to help with this question: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42278309#post42 278309
    That's pretty useful, thanks!

How much of your own knowledge do you really need to use seeing so it is more focused on interpreting the sources and your writing skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunnyyy)
    That's pretty useful, thanks!

How much of your own knowledge do you really need to use seeing so it is more focused on interpreting the sources and your writing skills.
    It is hard to say how much. You don't want to focus on your own knowledge because it's a source paper but if you miss it out entirely, then you're not showing a deeper understanding of the question. Try and make a comment of own knowledge for each point.

I'd advise asking your teacher because they'll be able to give you an example answer. If they're able to give you an typed up answer, if you highlight the person's own knowledge then you'll see exactly how much is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    hey im also sitting this exam again on the 14th

my teacher seems to think 'social and economic' will be the topic

is there a good chance this will be the case? because with only 9 days to go and having hardly done any revision, im trying to focus my attention on just one of the 4 topics now and pray that one comes up.

ReputationRep:
    It is hard to say how much. You don't want to focus on your own knowledge because it's a source paper but if you miss it out entirely, then you're not showing a deeper understanding of the question. Try and make a comment of own knowledge for each point.

I'd advise asking your teacher because they'll be able to give you an example answer. If they're able to give you an typed up answer, if you highlight the person's own knowledge then you'll see exactly how much is necessary.

Thank you for your help!

(Original post by ThePremierLeague)
    hey im also sitting this exam again on the 14th

my teacher seems to think 'social and economic' will be the topic

is there a good chance this will be the case? because with only 9 days to go and having hardly done any revision, im trying to focus my attention on just one of the 4 topics now and pray that one comes up.
    Can you narrow down what you mean by 'social and economic'? It could kind of apply to all 4 Key Issues, haha.

I'd probably revise all of the Key Issues instead of just focusing on one because you'll be pretty stuffed if the one you've revised doesn't come up.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help!

Can you narrow down what you mean by 'social and economic'? It could kind of apply to all 4 Key Issues, haha.

I'd probably revise all of the Key Issues instead of just focusing on one because you'll be pretty stuffed if the one you've revised doesn't come up.
    part 4 in the contents if you have the correct ocr AS book

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, how much does everyone write for each question? I'm aiming for about 700 words on the 30 mark one, and 1500 on the 70 marker, but I keep running out of stuff to talk about on the second question. Would a more concise essay be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine Jess)
    Just wondering, how much does everyone write for each question? I'm aiming for about 700 words on the 30 mark one, and 1500 on the 70 marker, but I keep running out of stuff to talk about on the second question. Would a more concise essay be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes that's far too much lmao

ReputationRep:
    I am resitting this on the 14th of May but I haven't done much work on it since I sat it first time last year and most of my notes aren't making much sense to me as it's been so long. Does anyone have any good notes, writing techniques, predictions, etc they'd be willing to share?

Thanks a lot!
    Ok, so I'm sitting this paper tomorrow and this is what I do if it helps anyone:
    1) READ THROUGH THE SOURCES. I cannot stress how much you need to do this, what I do is go through each one with a couple of different highlighters to make sure I can easily find quotes that I want to use. ALSO don't forget to read the little blurb before the source starts because that gives you vital information about the source.

2) intro, just group the source together. e.g. both sources A,B and C agree that... however sources D and E both suggest that...

3) I like to do one point per paragraph. This helps me remember: PEE on every paragraph. So that's Point (what does it suggest?), Evidence (quotes, own knowledge), Explanation ( how does this help answer the question?). Also don't forget to weave provenience in there. AVOID a 'bolt-on' paragraph about it at the end.

4) Do this ^ for each point you have

5) Judgement, now this should come as NO SURPRISE to the examiner. Use sources and own knowledge within this.
    Remember:

• Don't just add random bits of own knowledge in there, it won't get you any more marks. Only use it to back up the point you are making.
    • If you are doing the 30 mark question to check which sources you are told to look at (don't laugh, it has been done)
    • Analyse and evaluate sources DON'T describe them
    • All sources have strengths and weaknesses
    • Explain limitations (eg. was the author in a position to know)
    • WHO, WHAT, WHEN and most importantly WHY? (was is published as propaganda? memoirs? bias?)
    • If a source ignores an issue that is mentioned in another, why has it been left out?

I hope this helped you. if not it certainly helped me to write it down!
    Good luck tomorrow everyone

Also, if it helps, our teacher told us that it is quite likely that the Factory Acts would come up. Don't hold me to that though! Revise everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpVicky)
    Ok, so I'm sitting this paper tomorrow and this is what I do if it helps anyone:
    1) READ THROUGH THE SOURCES. I cannot stress how much you need to do this, what I do is go through each one with a couple of different highlighters to make sure I can easily find quotes that I want to use. ALSO don't forget to read the little blurb before the source starts because that gives you vital information about the source.

2) intro, just group the source together. e.g. both sources A,B and C agree that... however sources D and E both suggest that...

3) I like to do one point per paragraph. This helps me remember: PEE on every paragraph. So that's Point (what does it suggest?), Evidence (quotes, own knowledge), Explanation ( how does this help answer the question?). Also don't forget to weave provenience in there. AVOID a 'bolt-on' paragraph about it at the end.

4) Do this ^ for each point you have

5) Judgement, now this should come as NO SURPRISE to the examiner. Use sources and own knowledge within this.
    Remember:

• Don't just add random bits of own knowledge in there, it won't get you any more marks. Only use it to back up the point you are making.
    • If you are doing the 30 mark question to check which sources you are told to look at (don't laugh, it has been done)
    • Analyse and evaluate sources DON'T describe them
    • All sources have strengths and weaknesses
    • Explain limitations (eg. was the author in a position to know)
    • WHO, WHAT, WHEN and most importantly WHY? (was is published as propaganda? memoirs? bias?)
    • If a source ignores an issue that is mentioned in another, why has it been left out?

I hope this helped you. if not it certainly helped me to write it down!
    Good luck tomorrow everyone

Also, if it helps, our teacher told us that it is quite likely that the Factory Acts would come up. Don't hold me to that though! Revise everything!
    Very helpful!

By the way, how do you structure the 30 mark question? Do you write two paragraphs of similarities and differences? Sometimes the Sources have very few similarities/differences to write equal sized paragraphs on.

ReputationRep:
    Very helpful!

By the way, how do you structure the 30 mark question? Do you write two paragraphs of similarities and differences? Sometimes the Sources have very few similarities/differences to write equal sized paragraphs on.
    As you are only writing about 2 sources t will be exactly the same but shorter and missing out the grouping part at the start. Remember to outline what stance you think they have taken however. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to let people know I got 100% in this paper after all the stressing thank you so much for all the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.