The Student Room Group

GCSE options and A-level choices

I have just chosen my GCSE options and looking into A-level I'm interested in studying Psychology - however we didn't get the option at GCSE we got sociology. I didn't pick sociology because i didn't think it was right for me but alot of people say sociology and Psychology are similar, do you think i should have chosen sociology?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lauren4life
I have just chosen my GSCE options and looking into A-level Im interested in studying Psychology - however we didn't get the option at GSCE we got sociology. I didn't pick sociology because i didn't think it was right for me but alot of people say sociology and Psychology are similar, do you think i should have chosen sociology?

I know plenty of people who've done psychology at A-Level without doing psychology/sociology at GCSE. I don't think it should matter too much, so don't pick it if you don't want to. :nah:
Reply 2
Haha, i suppose your right i'm ganna look more into Psychology and see what its about hopefully i will study it at A-level :smile:
Reply 3
I have just chosen my GSCE options and looking into A-level Im interested in studying Psychology - however we didn't get the option at GSCE we got sociology. I didn't pick sociology because i didn't think it was right for me but alot of people say sociology and Psychology are similar, do you think i should have chosen sociology?

Lots of schools don't offer Psychology at GCSE, and many don't even offer it at A Level. The only thing that may be a requirement if you want to do Psychology at A Level is your GCSE Science grade. That said, my school let people do Psychology even though they didn't meet the science requirement.
You do not need any GCSE knowledge before doing Psychology at A Level.
You certainly don't need to do it at GCSE to do it at A Level. As said above, loads of schools don't even offer it. Just get good science grades so you can maximise your chance of doing it at Sixth Form.
Reply 5
Original post by pak1994
Lots of schools don't offer Psychology at GCSE, and many don't even offer it at A Level. The only thing that may be a requirement if you want to do Psychology at A Level is your GCSE Science grade. That said, my school let people do Psychology even though they didn't meet the science requirement.
You do not need any GCSE knowledge before doing Psychology at A Level.

In my experience as a teacher...you need a B in maths. Science gcse is not necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Oh ok, thank you ill try and do well in science and maths i couldn't do triple science but i'm doing core & Additional so i have the chance to do Psychology :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by risteard
In my experience as a teacher...you need a B in maths. Science gcse is not necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school only requires a science grade at GCSE. Maths played barely any role in the AS or A2 course that we did, all you need is to be able to draw a couple of graphs.

Oh ok, thank you ill try and do well in science and maths i couldn't do triple science but i'm doing core & Additional so i have the chance to do Psychology :rolleyes:

Core and Additional will be fine. Most of the work that involves biology and maths is really simple, although it does help if you are good in those subjects.
Reply 8
Oh ok thanks, i'm pretty good at Maths but i might need to improve with my science though, i find chemistry really difficult.
Reply 9
Oh ok thanks, i'm pretty good at Maths but i might need to improve with my science though, i find chemistry really difficult.

Chemistry won't play much role, it is mainly Biology. As my school only did triple science, we only needed a grade in Biology. The best thing to do is to ask your school (if you are continuing at sixth form there), or the place where you will be doing A Levels, to see what their requirements are for doing Psychology A Level.
Reply 10
Yeah I've looked on the sixth form website i'm most likely to go to and it requires a Grade C in science and B in maths :smile:
As an Sociology student,and having a parent as a teacher of the subject, I can absolutely confirm Sociology and Pyschology are extremely different. Sociology studies the effects of the social environments of society on an individual, whereas Psychology looks at the biological aspects of human behaviour. They are very loosely related, and I'm almost positive you don't need to study either at GCSE to do it at A-Level, as the earlier comments said, many schools don't even offer the courses. Just make sure your Maths/Science grades are good, as it will help you when you get to study it at A-Level!
Reply 12
Original post by Knowlesracka
As an Sociology student,and having a parent as a teacher of the subject, I can absolutely confirm Sociology and Pyschology are extremely different. Sociology studies the effects of the social environments of society on an individual, whereas Psychology looks at the biological aspects of human behaviour. They are very loosely related, and I'm almost positive you don't need to study either at GCSE to do it at A-Level, as the earlier comments said, many schools don't even offer the courses. Just make sure your Maths/Science grades are good, as it will help you when you get to study it at A-Level!

What you have written is not true. Psychology and sociology overlap in several ways.

Biological psychology is one type of psychology, social, cognitive, evolutionary, behavioral are some more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yeah I've looked on the sixth form website i'm most likely to go to and it requires a Grade C in science and B in maths :smile:

Now that you know, you can just aim for that then. :smile:
Reply 14
Majority of 6th Forms accept students for a certain subject (e.g. Psychology) without having to do it at GCSE. Yet, not every school offers such subject at GCSE stage, so they don't require it. They treat it as a bonus if anything since you've already got some insight into the course, unlike others.

Don't worry about it. ^^
Reply 15
My only advice that I can give you is pick subjects that you enjoy, you tend to do well at them. Also if you have a taster day, try go to subjects that you may have not thought about. Lastly, just because you like a subject at GCSE it doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it at a level, alliances change.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest