Purple3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi (:

Is there anyone who is doing the Contemporary Arts Practice course at Bath Spa (Sion Hill campus) who can give me any advice/information on the course??? I have been offered a place and need to firm next week, however I did not have an interview or look around this course on an open day as I originally applied for Textiles (which I didn't get a place for). Any help would be great.

Thank you!!
Purple3
Rep:
?
Anyone?? or has anyone looked at it...
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have firmed my place on that course, and i went to the interview and got to look around then. They have lots of facilities and i really liked it. You are able to basically do whatever you want. im currently studying fashion and textiles, but im more textiles based, and contemporary arts allows you to incorporate textiles into you work with other mediums or just textiles if you want (i thought this was a real bonus) hope this helps
EmmaWaight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey! I'm doing Contemporary Arts Practice based on whether I get a Merit for my Foundation year It appealed to me for the same reason Have you picked your accommodation choices yet?
Also, here's the very tiny Facebook group for this years Sion Hill freshers haha https://www.facebook.com/groups/3832..._comment_reply

Emma x
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hiya! i just need a merit too, i think im gunna be fine
ive picked bankside 1st, then charlton court and waterside, you?

caitlin x
EmmaWaight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Figers crossed, results day on Friday eek! Waterside, Charlton then Bankside What college did you go to? Emma x
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ive got wait till next month for my results! i went to blackburn college, you?
EmmaWaight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
nooo! Trafford College, sort of South Manchester
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what have you been doing at college?
Purple3
Rep:
?
(Original post by cakelinhoole)
I have firmed my place on that course, and i went to the interview and got to look around then. They have lots of facilities and i really liked it. You are able to basically do whatever you want. im currently studying fashion and textiles, but im more textiles based, and contemporary arts allows you to incorporate textiles into you work with other mediums or just textiles if you want (i thought this was a real bonus) hope this helps

Hey Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry for the incredibly late reply, it has taken me a while to accept the choice I made!! I have firmed the course at Bath (: Your info was helpful!! That's what I thought as well in the end, it gives you so much freedom to experiment and not be limited to one area. Have you just been doing A levels?
Purple3
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmmaWaight)
Figers crossed, results day on Friday eek! Waterside, Charlton then Bankside What college did you go to? Emma x

Hi (: I've picked the same order of accommodation as you. I hope your results go well!!
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Purple3)
Hey Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry for the incredibly late reply, it has taken me a while to accept the choice I made!! I have firmed the course at Bath (: Your info was helpful!! That's what I thought as well in the end, it gives you so much freedom to experiment and not be limited to one area. Have you just been doing A levels?
oh good!
ive been doing a BTEC what about you?
Purple3
Rep:
?
oh good!
ive been doing a BTEC what about you?

(: A BTEC in Textiles and Fashion? I did a BTEC/Diplomary thing with different areas of Art like Sculpture etc, which I finished last year. It's quite similar to the course at Bath. Have you had your results?
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah i want to try a bit of that when i get to bath, thats the good thing about the course really! not yet, i get them not this fri next, have you? x
Purple3
Rep:
?
Yeah it definitely is!! Did you meet the tutors for the course, what were they like? Good luck for them (: I got mine last year, currently on a gap year ha! I see you've chosen bank side first? My choices are the reverse of yours :P
EmmaWaight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello! I'm due to start at the same time as you. The campus itself was absolutely beautiful, very spacious but cozy at the same time. My only gripe is that it is at the top of the steepest hill (Sion Hill) known to man, haha. I chose Contemporary Arts Practice because its SOOOO diverse, you can experiement with as much or as little of any subject area. The student who took us round on the open day stressed how much freedom students had, and many people end up doing something they never would have though of doing. Thats the advantage, you're not restricted to one subject area or technique. If you're staying at Waterside or Charlton, its about a twenty minute walk to campus and a ten minute walk to town. If at Bankside, I believe that it is on the way up to the Campus and is just for Art and Design students.

Hope this helped a bit, Emma x
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah i choose bankside because its the closest and didnt want a long walk
Purple3
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmmaWaight)
Hello! I'm due to start at the same time as you. The campus itself was absolutely beautiful, very spacious but cozy at the same time. My only gripe is that it is at the top of the steepest hill (Sion Hill) known to man, haha. I chose Contemporary Arts Practice because its SOOOO diverse, you can experiement with as much or as little of any subject area. The student who took us round on the open day stressed how much freedom students had, and many people end up doing something they never would have though of doing. Thats the advantage, you're not restricted to one subject area or technique. If you're staying at Waterside or Charlton, its about a twenty minute walk to campus and a ten minute walk to town. If at Bankside, I believe that it is on the way up to the Campus and is just for Art and Design students.

Hope this helped a bit, Emma x

Hi (: Thank you for that info! Yeah the hill is steep, but I have heard there was a trial bus last year that went to Sion Hill, so hopefully it will be in September or otherwise lots of exercise! I think the diverseness of the course slightly put me off at first as I did a similar course at College, but have realised I would like to be less restricted still (: So have you had your results? What did you do at College?
Purple3
Rep:
?
yeah i choose bankside because its the closest and didnt want a long walk

Ha (: I was tempted by Bankside for that reason but felt Waterside was better suited to me!
cakelinhoole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i think i get my results tomorrow! ive been doing BTEC extended diploma in fashion and textiles, you? x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.57%
I'm not sure (56)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.3%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (587)
48.59%

Watched Threads