Turn on thread page Beta

UKIP storm to success in South Shields by-election. watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...VENTH-BNP.html

reputable link as always.

Capturing nearly 25% of the vote UKIP have come 2nd place in South Shields by-election.

Also in the news, the Lib Dems lose their deposit and even get beaten by the BNP lol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...t-Wheeler.html

Some interesting reading as well.

Clearly UKIP are staying and are anything but a flash in the pan.

ReputationRep:

Isn't that the lady who was on This Morning because she tanned too much?

ReputationRep:
    Meh. They came second, and first place is all that matters. Fair play to them for gaining so many votes, but its suspected in by-elections as a backlash to the government. I think the fact that UKIP has managed to gain so many councillors despite previously having none is the real interesting story here.

ReputationRep:
    ...and 58% of the people who voted did so using the postal vote.

Well done Labour on another corrupt electoral victory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)

Actually I've been wondering about this postal vote debate, what advantages does it have for the defending party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh94)
    Actually I've been wondering about this postal vote debate, what advantages does it have for the defending party?

Non, but labour have a habit of having a lot of people who vote for it either voting from beyond the grave, or living thirty to a house.

ReputationRep:
    Go UKIP! Start fighting back against all these claims of racism etc by the ignorant hardcore lefties n righties, they're scared and have resorted to pathetic insults.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe there are so many goons that still vote for Labour.

EDIT: A lot on TSR too apparently. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Can't believe there are so many goons that still vote for Labour.
    I know have you seen the clowns that run it?

ReputationRep:
    My definition of "storming to success" doesn't usually involve coming in second with half the votes of the winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    I know have you seen the clowns that run it?

Are you actually being serious?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Redolent)
    My definition of "storming to success" doesn't usually involve coming in second with half the votes of the winner.
    Quite. They will do very well and probably 'win' next year's Euro elections - sorry, to anyone from another EU country - and have fun on the gravy train they complain about, but we're a long way from actually having one as an MP.

See the Greens' Euro result in the early 90s and how long it took them to get a single MP.

Probably the biggest impact they will have is in reducing the number of Tory MPs. Good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Are you actually being serious?
    Sorry I couldn't find one with the two of them posing with their trade union buddies, so this will have to do.

ReputationRep:
    I think the UKIP results are great news.

It's not because I agree entirely with everything UKIP say, there's a lot I strongly disagree with, especially on smoking, but they're a refreshingly honest breath of fresh air (yes, I see the irony with the smoking comment!). And, yes, I know these are local elections and should be about local government (and a by-election) rather than a protest against national government.

I find the attitude toward voters of the "main" (not for long though!) parties so utterly patronising. Cameron thinks UKIP voters are "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists". Well, that's about 25% of the electorate you've just pissed off based on current performance.

Ken Clarke thinks they are "clowns". Well, those "clowns" just juggled you out of a load of councillors.

The Conservative candidate in Barrow in Furness actually put out a whole leaflet in UKIP colours with UKIP logo saying "We got it wrong", just a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the back of the leaflet said it was on behalf of Conservatives, attracting the attention of the Electoral Commision. How desperate is that?

Apparently, the Tories "don't know how to handle" UKIP. How about each party just keep their policies and let the voters decide?

The Tories can keep promising to increase the money they give to nations with 10x our GDP growth to develop their nuclear and space programmes and breaking "cast iron guarantees" about referenda.

Labour can keep destroying the economy, starting extremely expensive wars and doing things like introducing tuition fees and widening the poverty gap. And UKIP can tell us what they'd do, and we can make our own minds up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Never understood why so many people vote for labour, what have they done apart from completely destroy the country.

ReputationRep:
    Next time Ken Clarke wants to insult the UKIP someone should tell him to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Never understood why so many people vote for labour, what have they done apart from completely destroy the country.
    Now that's not fair - Labour have done lots of things:

• Tuition fees and devastation of the education system.
    • NHS scandal.
    • Mandelson and "those" luxury yacht trips in return for policy change.
    • Cash-for-everything and peerages for Fred "the shred" Goodwin.
    • Councils mired in scandal and under special measures.
    • Widening of the poverty gap.
    • Bernie Eccleston’s £1 million secret donation (for a change of policy, in the first few months of New Labour, no less!)
    • Millennium dome.
    • Lying about mass immigration.
    • 4 wars at a cost of £billions and hundreds of lives.
    • Selling of most of our gold reserves at a historical low.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Now that's a record of achievement that any Labour voter can be proud of, I'm sure you'd agree.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    People are only voting for the UKIP in pure protest over their anger at the current government. Anyone who's actually read through their policies can see that, despite endless protestations to the contrary, they are 100% a one policy party. And quite frankly, that policy is based around personal rather than political interests.

I think the UKIP would have to rapidly adapt if they got an actual seat anywhere to accommodate for this lack of policy. They can't expect anti EU resentments to last long enough for them to see through another decade as an actual political power. If they want to last, now is their time to make themselves clear on their absent policies.

My personal political spectrum has nightmares about someone like the UKIP actually getting into power, I think that's when I might move abroad and accept that democracy just doesn't work.

(Original post by chefdave)

That actually is a bit dodgy. Postal voting opens up such an easy opportunity for gerrymandering.

ReputationRep:
    Storming to success?

They came second. They lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Storming to success?
    To: Preposition "Expressing motion in the direction of (a particular location)".

Up 21% in some areas? Increase vote share year after year? In second place in some areas? The only party to increase vote share?

I'd say "to" was a perfectly valid word here.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.