Turn on thread page Beta

What makes you proud to be british? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever feel proud of being british? What things do the british do that make you essentially proud of being british?

ReputationRep:
    Be accepting of other cultures (for the most part). If you're willing to contribute (and sometimes, even if you're not...) we people into this country - I like that. I also like that being British (or for the sake of arguement - the UK) you get to be part of your own country (Scotland/England/Wales/Northern Ireland) as well as the collective of many countries with different heritages. This gives a joint sense of belonging.

What else, hmm..the opportunities we have for work...I like in Scotland other people from the UK get free university tuition (except English people, for some reason...probably due to hadrians wall).

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, it's not something I have a say over anyway, I live in Northern Ireland with an Irish background.

Why the neg? I never disrespected the UK, I just don't find anything to be 'proud' of

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    An innate feeling of superiority.

ReputationRep:
    'Britain. We may be a small country but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that.'

ReputationRep:
    Jimmy Saville

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)
    Do you ever feel proud of being british? What things do the british do that make you essentially proud of being british?
    that i have the british passport *giggles*

ReputationRep:
    Nothing makes me have an overwhelming sense of pride. I don't mind living here, but I'm not "proud" of my nationality, there's better things to be proud of. During the Olympics I hated how "British pride" and "British stoicism" were terms constantly used on TV, it just really annoyed me. As if we were one big merry country linked at the arms singing like it was a musical. No, I wouldn't say I was proud at all.

ReputationRep:
    The success of British culture certainly gives me the feel-good factor.

ReputationRep:
    Our motorsport heritage.

From Formula 1 down to the Ginetta Jr series - we produce some of the world's greatest drivers, designers and engineers.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    tea...and lots of it

ReputationRep:
    There are things of being British I'm proud of, and things I'm not so proud of. Every culture and nationality has it high points and low points, some we perceive and others that everyone else perceives, obviously. I like our thriving culture that enshrines literature, language, history etc. The fact we are such a small country and yet so influential to others is something to be proud of (this can be argued against, of course). I'm also quite protective of our accents and colloquialisms.

The fact we are quite fortunate as a collective people in the world today. The majority of us have a roof over our heads, we have clean water, we have a mainly free-educational system, we have a huge variety of universities, and we have one of the most successful and effective (in comparison to others) health-care systems.

The most important thing: how we write things. None of this missing letters and unnecessary Zs like in American English :P

ReputationRep:
    Our long and interesting history, our huge impact on the world for such a small island, the English language, our unique system of government, the NHS, our world class universities and British contributions to world literature, film and music- all these things make me very proud to be British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkcherrytart)
    wth. NO. YOU'RE an idiot.
    I concur, with both of your posts.

Earl Grey, and lot's of it!

I'm proud of just about everything, the history and the incredible traditions that come from it. Anything, from Fish and Chips to Trooping the Colour. Just seeing it on a poster abroad during my travels makes me take that breath in, like 'Britain, **** yeah!' Well, rather more stereotypically, 'Britain, righto! Tea?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    'Britain. We may be a small country but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that.'
    I feel like a real manly man spotting that love actually quote.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for sure, the good old full English breakfast, tea and burgers....
    And our dry and sarcastic sense of humour!!!

ReputationRep:
    How you can go on the high street and find African Indian, Pakistani, English, French, Italian, Polish, Greek and American food.

Im saying this as a good thing btw. Multiculturalism is really good here.

Why neg me for stating a opinion? did u leave your copy of the dailymail in your arse cracks?

ReputationRep:
    I love a lot of things, one of them would be the NHS They do an amazing job but sometimes don't get the credit they deserve

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.