The Student Room Group

What makes you proud to be british?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sallybriscoe
I am a "white person". However, my husband is from Ghana and our children are mixed race. I think your comment is very racist. The Thread is what makes you proud to be British. This is what I answered.

Ah the classic "BUT I KNOW A BLACK GUY!" :tongue:

Yeah, but no. Your list is very, very, white. Like seriously, the proms and the Royal family? You're like the twenty-first century embodiment of Margo.

Original post by CaptainDudeson
An innate feeling of superiority.

Class, honestly hahaa
Original post by James A
Sorry brah, I get PG tips tea instead.

PG Tips were our household tea brand of choice until they replaced the conventional teabag with the pyramid.
My sister sent me a box of Yorkshire Tea and it was love at first cup for me.
Enjoy your cuppa anyway :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway

- Great People such as Churchill

Here are some Churchill quotes for you to chew on...

"[Gandhi] ought to be lain bound hand and foot at the gates of Delhi and then trampled on by an enormous elephant with the new Viceroy seated on its back.”

"'Keep England White' is a good slogan" - Churchill on restricting West Indian immigration

"I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

“I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.”
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

Yeah, but no. Your list is very, very, white. Like seriously, the proms and the Royal family? You're like the twenty-first century embodiment of Margo.

Why thank you! Margot is my role model. And as for knowing a black guy, well we have been married over 20 years and have three children, so I would say yes, I do know this black guy pretty well!
PG Tips were our household tea brand of choice until they replaced the conventional teabag with the pyramid.
My sister sent me a box of Yorkshire Tea and it was love at first cup for me.
Enjoy your cuppa anyway :smile:

I haven't tried Yorkshire Tea, might get some, but after all, Tea only differs slightly between the brands, but that small difference can make it all the better, I guess.....

She reminds me of Raquel from Only Fools & Horses!
Original post by James A
She reminds me of Raquel from Only Fools & Horses!

Hahaha :biggrin:

"Keep England White" is a famous misquote by Winston Churchill. " I want my country to keep white" was the motto for a church group for children in the 1930s called the Better Britain Brigade. The "white" does not refer to skin colour, but to purity, as the aim of the Better Britain Brigade was for members to "leave this country in a better state than I found it in". Source? My late mother's membership certificate.
Reply 49

I disagree. There's many British colonies who adore the royal family - not to mention the people of different ethnic backgrounds within Britain itself. I, myself, am not a fan, but to say that liking the Royals is a "white" thing is pretty absurd.
benefits
Original post by Zürich
The politeness and inherent pleasantness of most English people compared with other countries. Queuing, good manners and the sense of fair play are really something unique and special

these aren't so unique that they cannot be found even in the other parts of Great Britain. No-one crosses Offa's Dyke or Hadrian's Wall and remarks on how "they don't queue here".
Reply 52
Original post by Brunette_Gem
hahahaa it has nothing to do with the wall :biggrin:

I'm not so sure :P
Reply 53

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

You can throw as many quotes as you like at me of stuff he said that isn't all that great, it won't change mine or practically the whole county's mind that he was one of the greatest British leaders of all time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
these aren't so unique that they cannot be found even in the other parts of Great Britain. No-one crosses Offa's Dyke or Hadrian's Wall and remarks on how "they don't queue here".

Of course, used English as a catch all for British.. :smile: True in Ireland as well
Original post by James A
I haven't tried Yorkshire Tea, might get some, but after all, Tea only differs slightly between the brands, but that small difference can make it all the better, I guess.....

http://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk Check out the website. If you live in the London area, try the hard water variety. Just off to put the kettle on now.

For crying out loud!

Sorry, I appear to have momentarily misplaced my obligatory self-flagellation whip...

How on earth is the Proms 'white'? As far as I know, there's no ban on black people enjoying classical music. Besides, the list contained things like London, tea, and HP Sauce, which have no race-based value whatsoever. London is massively multi-cultural, so I frankly have no idea where you're coming from with this argument. Even the Royal Family (who, I will concede, are themselves white) are hardly restricted to a whites only fan base.
"Keep England White" is a famous misquote by Winston Churchill. " I want my country to keep white" was the motto for a church group for children in the 1930s called the Better Britain Brigade. The "white" does not refer to skin colour, but to purity, as the aim of the Better Britain Brigade was for members to "leave this country in a better state than I found it in". Source? My late mother's membership certificate.

Er, this is complete nonsense. I didn't misquote him. I quoted "'Keep England White is a good slogan". Those were his thoughts on the slogan as he told the cabinet in an effort to restrict immigration from the West Indies. This is freaking basic history. It's even on Wikipedia.

He tried in vain to manoeuvre the cabinet into restricting West Indian immigration. "Keep England White" was a good slogan, he told the cabinet in January 1955.[10] Ian Gilmour records Churchill saying to him, in 1955, about immigration: "I think it is the most important subject facing this country, but I cannot get any of my ministers to take any notice"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Later_life_of_Winston_Churchill

The source is Ian Gilmour's "Inside Right: A Study of Conservatism".
Well I never achieved my britishness, so I can't be proud of it. I quite happy to be british though, it's a fairly good nationality to be as nationalities go I suppose.
Original post by odkfn
I'm not so sure :P

haha oh really? how so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending