Oxford or Cambridge applications

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Nissa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Can you make 6 different applications to Oxford or Cambridge (I know you can only apply to one or the other uni) as well as to 6 different colleges?Does this increase your chances of being accepted and can you apply while you're already starting adegree in another uni?
Nissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
No you can apply to either oxford *or* cambridge for a single course. Oxbridge is only allowed to take up one of your 6 choices.
So if I decide to apply for Oxford I can anly apply for history for example?Ican't apply for geography,modern languages...to fill all the 6 places
Nissa
Rep:
?
Yes that's right - only one uni/course combination out of your 6 can be for oxbridge

How come? Why don't they allow to increase ur chances of admission?
Nissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nissa)
How come? Why don't they allow to increase ur chances of admission?

By the way do you know how to enter personal details in the profile thing???
androidkiller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's because they tend to interview nearly everyone and barely have time for that, so imagine having to fit in six as many interviews. Oxford and Cambridge interviews may clash.

Also, applying for several different subjects would show a lack of commitment to any one subject and that would really spoil your aplication to Oxbridge.

Remember, Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of universities. Don't focus on it too much, or you'll just be heartbroken if you don't get in. Even if you get to another top uni you're still likely to get a good job.
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nissa)
By the way do you know how to enter personal details in the profile thing???
Click on the User CP button near the top of the page.
Nissa
Rep:
?
(Original post by androidkiller)
I think it's because they tend to interview nearly everyone and barely have time for that, so imagine having to fit in six as many interviews. Oxford and Cambridge interviews may clash.

Also, applying for several different subjects would show a lack of commitment to any one subject and that would really spoil your aplication to Oxbridge.

Remember, Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of universities. Don't focus on it too much, or you'll just be heartbroken if you don't get in. Even if you get to another top uni you're still likely to get a good job.
Yeah thanks I think you're right though I think I will have for a long time the nostalgic feeling of having never been to Oxbridge. By the way I've got unconditional offers from Durham and Saint And's, which is best in your opinion?
Nissa
Rep:
?
Click on the User CP button near the top of the page.
What's the User CP button, I'm afraid i'm not very good with computers. Can you put in on for me?I'm studying at Nice University ,I live in Cannes and I'm a boy and a Monaco football supporter!!!
Nissa
Rep:
?
Noone else can change your profile information for you

Try clicking on this link

http://www.uk-learning.net/profile.php?do=editprofile

If not the usercp button is in the top right of the webpage - there should be a line of 5 blue buttons...it's there. Once you click on that there should be another link to your profile information

Thanks I managed!!!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

This "you have to go to a top uni to get a good job" mentality is doing my head in. You don't. Sure it'll help, but it is far from essential.
James B
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Surely thats what he said??!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (42)
7.85%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (42)
7.85%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (128)
23.93%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (73)
13.64%
No, nothing has changed (165)
30.84%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (85)
15.89%

Watched Threads