The Student Room Group

london sixth form schools & colleges - the top 15 and worst 15??

Scroll to see replies

Latymer, DAOS, Henrietta Barnett, NLC, Woodhouse, QE Boys...
I can't remember anymore :frown: These are in North London I think :redface:
Reply 21
How about Richmond Upon Thames College?
Fortismere has a pretty good sixth form.

As mentioned before: Camden Girls, Woodhouse, QEB, HBS & Latymer are good ones I know of. I have friend at La SWAP and he says its a massively mixed place with some really good and others not so much.

Obviously Woodhouse and La SWAP are the biggest, whereas QEB, HBS + Latymer only take in a very small number of top pupils and consequently its harder to gain a place.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
I actually think Woodhouse is by far the best London college because of pupils they make, their results, their ofsted reviewings and their olden day courtesy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im going into year 11 this september so im starting to look at sixth form colleges.
You have to enter by around march right so i really want to find a good on before that.
The school i go has an okay sixthform just the science department isnt great so because i want to do the sciences i really really want to move.
what sixthforms in and around london have got a great science department?
Original post by CurtisRajar
Im going into year 11 this september so im starting to look at sixth form colleges.
You have to enter by around march right so i really want to find a good on before that.
The school i go has an okay sixthform just the science department isnt great so because i want to do the sciences i really really want to move.
what sixthforms in and around london have got a great science department?

Southgate School Sixth form, Ashmole, APS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes!! People from round my area! Nice... Hey, what do you guys think of Stanmore College? I think it's alright.
Nobody go to St James Catholic High, In colindale. They're terrible people... this is from experience.
Reply 28
does any one know if city of westminister college is a good sixth form? thinking of applying there
Ashmole is definitely up there in terms of London sixth forms. It scored higher than Woodhouse this year.

EDIT: Before an idiot tries to neg me again, take a look at my source. Ashmole placed 116; Woodhouse placed 144.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/10246791/A-level-results-2013-results-from-400-state-schools.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by chiamakao
does any one know if city of westminister college is a good sixth form? thinking of applying there

Its not as great as the other ones mentioned..........its a further education place, so the focus isn't for 16-19 specifically but also for older people and alternative courses. At the end of the day you make most of what you get, can't say much about the a-level teaching.
Reply 31
Hey guys, my personal opinion of the list of top 15 is that i disagree with it, because most of them are large colleges or schools that only care about their grades and not the students and their career paths aswell. I started my As's at st Albans school and recieved BDDE in Bio, Chem, Physics and Drama. I then realised that if i wanted to go to a good university that without retaking would be impossible. So i left St Albans school. I found out about Brampton College (a college in Hendon) by surfing the internet. It seemed rather interesting so i booked an appointment to look round. I loved the feel of the college and how friendly all the members of staff were. I enrolled that day to retake my AS levels. I changed my subjects to Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. In my AS levels i acheived ABBB respectively. I then dropped Psychology and continued with the others. I applied to universities such as Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester etc, and recieved all my offers. I then went on to get AAB (A in Chemistry 3 ums off A*) (A in Maths 539/600) (B in Physics 2 marks off an A) . I have accepted a place to study Industrial Economics at the University of Nottingham.
At Brampton College the level of teaching is so high that you're not just taught to cram for exams, the teachers teach you in such a way that you understand the subject in such depth that you can tackle practically any question thrown at you. Brampton gives students constant exam practice so that they are prepared for exams. They also offer tutorials for pupils, therefore if they were to ever have trouble with a specific topic tutorials are there for help. Brampton allows student to fulfil their acedemic potential to the full.
I believe Brampton College would definatly be worthy of a place on the top 15 colleges, they get great results every year. ]
Have a visit of the website if you would like, www.bramptoncollege.com
if anyone asks who recommended you just mention my name thanks :smile:
Original post by Dexterbaum
Hey guys, my personal opinion of the list of top 15 is that i disagree with it, because most of them are large colleges or schools that only care about their grades and not the students and their career paths aswell. I started my As's at st Albans school and recieved BDDE in Bio, Chem, Physics and Drama. I then realised that if i wanted to go to a good university that without retaking would be impossible. So i left St Albans school. I found out about Brampton College (a college in Hendon) by surfing the internet. It seemed rather interesting so i booked an appointment to look round. I loved the feel of the college and how friendly all the members of staff were. I enrolled that day to retake my AS levels. I changed my subjects to Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. In my AS levels i acheived ABBB respectively. I then dropped Psychology and continued with the others. I applied to universities such as Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester etc, and recieved all my offers. I then went on to get AAB (A in Chemistry 3 ums off A*) (A in Maths 539/600) (B in Physics 2 marks off an A) . I have accepted a place to study Industrial Economics at the University of Nottingham.
At Brampton College the level of teaching is so high that you're not just taught to cram for exams, the teachers teach you in such a way that you understand the subject in such depth that you can tackle practically any question thrown at you. Brampton gives students constant exam practice so that they are prepared for exams. They also offer tutorials for pupils, therefore if they were to ever have trouble with a specific topic tutorials are there for help. Brampton allows student to fulfil their acedemic potential to the full.
I believe Brampton College would definatly be worthy of a place on the top 15 colleges, they get great results every year. ]
Have a visit of the website if you would like, www.bramptoncollege.com
if anyone asks who recommended you just mention my name thanks :smile:

Brampton College came to my school to give a Q&A session.
Had to cross them off of my list straight away, they didn't even do Music :tongue:
Plus you have to pay to go there!
Reply 33
Is City & Islington a good college?
Reply 34
Original post by Robbie242
People are so up in their arse about sixth form colleges. Who gives you the right to denounce a college because of its A*-B rate, your just very stuck up and inconsiderate, I go to the state school sixth form and although the teaching is beyond ****ing awful, alevels are about your personal effort, these schools just try to ensure people are on track and force them into work. Shame not all schools are like this but if your really bored and sad to discuss the best/worst sixth form colleges when only really best/worst universities should be a matter of discussion is beyond me. Instead of making ****ty threads on tsr get back to work you scallywag.

PS: do you even English? its beyond me how you can get into good sixth form colleges yet not have basic grammar skills derived from GCSE English

Yes, because 'do you even English' is a perfect use of basic Grammar skills derived from GCSE English. Maybe instead of prowling TSR, getting your panties in a twist, you should go and read a book and possibly look up the meaning of hypocrisy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Keekz
Yes, because 'do you even English' is a perfect use of basic Grammar skill derived from GCSE English. Maybe instead of prowling TSR getting your panties in a twist you should go and read a book and possibly look up the meaning of hypocrisy.

I think you don't get the ''Do you even?'' phrase, its an internet phrase e.g. ''Do you even lift?''

I think you need to understand this adaptation not to be a genuine articulation of my grammatical abilities.

Such a smartass aren't you?
Reply 36
is it better to go to a good college or a bad college and achieve great grades
Reply 37
hyy guyzz

what you think about havering sixth form college ? :smile: howzz it ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
People are so up in their arse about sixth form colleges. Who gives you the right to denounce a college because of its A*-B rate, your just very stuck up and inconsiderate, I go to the state school sixth form and although the teaching is beyond ****ing awful, alevels are about your personal effort, these schools just try to ensure people are on track and force them into work. Shame not all schools are like this but if your really bored and sad to discuss the best/worst sixth form colleges when only really best/worst universities should be a matter of discussion is beyond me. Instead of making ****ty threads on tsr get back to work you scallywag.

PS: do you even English? its beyond me how you can get into good sixth form colleges yet not have basic grammar skills derived from GCSE English

You're*
Reply 39
St Dominic's Sixth Form College in Harrow anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending