The Student Room Group

GCSE maths question - Vectors

I have came across a maths question on a maths past paper and I wondered if anyone could help. It is on vectors.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Well, what is OC in terms of the other vectors which are floating around? It will help you to represent AC in terms of a and b.
Reply 2
Original post by Decerto
I have came across a maths question on a maths past paper and I wondered if anyone could help. It is on vectors.

Thank you.

Vector algebra states that if you have two vectors, for example XY and YZ, then XZ=XY+YZ, where "addition" is the same as placing the vectors from tip to tail.

By the same vein of reasoning, what two other vectors can you split vector OC into?
Reply 3
Original post by aznkid66
Vector algebra states that if you have two vectors, for example XY and YZ, then XZ=XY+YZ, where "addition" is the same as placing the vectors from tip to tail.

By the same vein of reasoning, what two other vectors can you split vector OC into?

OA and AC?
Reply 4
Bump!

Sorry, I just want to get this sorted so I can move onto some other papers.
Reply 5
AB = AO + OB

AC = tAB

OC = OA + AC

Which part is causing a problem?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem

OC = OA + AB

tAB I think that is
Reply 7
Original post by Phichi
tAB I think that is

AC actually :smile:
Reply 8
AC actually :smile:

cheeky :3
Reply 9
AB = AO + OB

AC = tAB

OC = OA + AC

Which part is causing a problem?

Is says the answers are: for p, 1 - t.
for q, t.

I don't understand how they got these answers?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Decerto
Is says the answers are: for p, 1 - t.
for q, t.

I don't understand how they got these answers?

find start by showing what OC is... OC = a + t(b-a) then just separate the a and b terms. Hence a - at is the a section. In the form pa, hence factorise a out of the a terms - a(1-t). Get it?

Quick Reply

Latest