Amy**
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm applying for student finance for a social work degree starting sep 13 but I've been refused student finance due to a CErtificate in education that I studied and completed in 2009. I was teaching at a college but I had no GCSEs when I did this and so god knows how they can say it is the same level as a degree. I have since got my GCSEs and have paid for myself to do an access course. I was wondering if there are any success stories out there of people who have successfully appealed a refusal of student finance. Literally gutted about this. Please, someone give me hope x
username1024541
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you get student finance for that certificate in education?
Amy**
Rep:
?
Yes I did
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Amy**)
Yes I did
Student finance - depending on your course can - only fund you for a max of 4 years. So you wouldn't receive funding on a new course.
Amy**
Rep:
?
This was only a one year course though so do you think that would make a difference?
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Yawn11)
Student finance - depending on your course can - only fund you for a max of 4 years. So you wouldn't receive funding on a new course.
Not true. Student finance will fund you for length of current course + 1 year - previous years studied but only if you haven't already completed a degree level course but there is some wiggle room.

The best thing for OP to do would be to call student finance and ask their advice or to contact prospective universities student services and ask if there is any support available or if they can negotiate with student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Amy**)
This was only a one year course though so do you think that would make a difference?
Oh.. In that case, lord knows why they rejected you. Worth calling up and finding out why though :dontknow:
Amy**
Rep:
?
Thank you, this has given me a bit of hope. I hadn't thought of contacting the Uni. I'm just so gutted as I've worked so hard to get to this point and to have student finance refuse me because of this is so frustrating. Many thanks again. Ill be on the phone first thing Tuesday morning xx
Amy**
Rep:
?
Thanks yawn11 too x
username1024541
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Amy**)
Yeah, like others said, you usually get four years worth of funding. Tell us how it goes when you ring
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Amy**)
Hi, I'm applying for student finance for a social work degree starting sep 13 but I've been refused student finance due to a CErtificate in education that I studied and completed in 2009. I was teaching at a college but I had no GCSEs when I did this and so god knows how they can say it is the same level as a degree. I have since got my GCSEs and have paid for myself to do an access course. I was wondering if there are any success stories out there of people who have successfully appealed a refusal of student finance. Literally gutted about this. Please, someone give me hope x
A certificate of higher education is the same level as year 1 of a degree. Therefore, you will be rejected for funding for your first year under the ELQ rules.

You should only have been refused a maintenance grant and tuition fee loan. You would still receive a maintenance loan. In your second year and beyond you would receive full funding.
Brisheff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm having a similar issue. I competed a part time foundation course 2009-2012 and checked with student finance prior to leaving my job and they said because it was PT course I would be fine for social work and in any event year two and three have a bursary. Got me yecisoin and all ok! But 4 weeks later I get a new decision saying no to tuition loan. I called SFE and the lady confirmed that because it was PT I should still get funding AND new rules around Social work and health care studies as essential workers meant that funding was now ok.

Called Tuesday to check and they are saying no again but agree rules say yes! So off it goes again!

i have up a £35k job for this career change so I hope they keep their word
ANiceCupofTea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am having a similar problem too and am so disappointed. It seems harsh when it's a loan for goodness sake. I'm unsure what to do any suggestions for the fees would be welcome
Sknowles90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I could potentially be in the same situation. I completed a HNC is 2010 and have applied for a 3 year course starting September.
My HNC and degree are in different subjects though, would this make a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sknowles90)
I think I could potentially be in the same situation. I completed a HNC is 2010 and have applied for a 3 year course starting September.
My HNC and degree are in different subjects though, would this make a difference?
The subjects make no difference. It's the number of years you've already spent in uni-level study, whether or not you had SF for them.

In the case of an HNC, this is currently judged to be equivalent to the first year of a university degree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualifi...edit_Framework

In that case, you will have used up some of your SF entitlement.

The calculation is:
Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) one year

If your HNC took one year, this gives you 3 - 1 + 1, meaning that you should get full SF funding for your three year degree course subject to the usual eligibility checks. However, if you find yourself having to retake a year, you'll have to fund this yourself.
Levitator
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I recommend that you go to seek advice from a Money Advise at your university.

Previous study rules are complex. Part-time courses where a qualification was achieved do count as previous study in the standard entitlement calculations

Length of course + 1 minus number of years on Previous Course. So if you had 3 yrs previous study the potentially your tuition fee entitlement could be

3+1-3 = 1 year - this entitlement to fee loan would be applied to the last year of your course.

However as I say the rules are complex so please seek guidance from the university adviser.

Good luck
Quietman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am in the same boat...

in 1995 I completed an HNC in Computing (par time) which I paid for myself..

Today, Im doing a FDA in Music Tech (fulltime)

I got my finance info today.. they have given me a maintenance loan but no course fee loan...

When I phoned to enquire they said it was because I did 2 years.. even though this is a level 4 course and the HNC was a level 3....

I have been told that I will however receive the loan grant next year....
Loulocket
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I wondered how those of you having this problem had got on?

I studied for a 2 year foundation degree from 2010-2012, which was funded through SFE. I studied all the modules however never actually graduated with the full award as I failed a module that I couldn't retake in time.
Now I really want to apply for a degree course with the Open University, but I am worried that SFE will reject my application for funding, although considering what you guys have all been saying, I should really still receive 2 years funding?

However I have looked elsewhere on the net, and have read other people saying that if the course you have studied previously was a foundation degree, HND or HNC that SFE would still fund you for another course?

I agree it does seem harsh considering you will be (hopefully earning enough!) to pay it back. Thanks in advance!
Levitator
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For full time courses SFE calculate standard entitlement to fee loan and maintenance grant as >>>> length of course plus one year minus previous HE study.

So for 3 yr course 3+1-2 = 2 so you would have to pay your own fee in year 1. You would get maintenance loan in all years.

HOWEVER>>>> Open University is regarded as part-time study so you could not receive any living cost support but on a positive note previous study does not count if you are studying to a higher level than before, so you coukd get a fee loan for all the years of a new degree.

Good luck

L
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Levitator)
HOWEVER>>>> Open University is regarded as part-time study so you could not receive any living cost support but on a positive note previous study does not count if you are studying to a higher level than before, so you coukd get a fee loan for all the years of a new degree.
Ah, you need to be careful of this one as it works on the ELQ (Equivalent Level Qualification) rules, rather than the type of study. We have had folks here who've done the equivalent of one year of a degree at OU and found that when they wanted to do a full degree elsewhere, they were only eligible for full SF funding in the second and third years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (161)
38.33%
Take autumn exams (128)
30.48%
Look for a job (15)
3.57%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.29%
Take a year out (71)
16.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
6.43%

Watched Threads