The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Chance of getting in for Law at Nottingham?

So I have always wanted to study at Nottingham, I HAD to do a third year (with extenuating circumstances so they said they would take all grades into account)

I hope to achieve

A Levels

English A* (2013)
Computing A (2013)
History A (2014)
Politics B (2014)
Economics A (2014)
General Studies A* (2014)

As Levels

Maths C (2012)
Critical Thinking B (2012)

GCSE

3 A's
4 B's
1 C
1 D

My complicating circumstances effected my GCSE and AS levels.
What are my chances of getting in? please be realistic. Thank you for your help
Reply 1
Hi,

*Disclaimer from the start - this is all personal experience and my personal opinion*

I'm a current law student at Notts and can definitely tell you it's worth the effort for to come here! Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming you'll be applying to start September 2014? As far as I know Notts haven't posted what their typical grade requirements will be for the next application cycle but for 2012 entry they were AAA, for 2013 they are A*AA - chances are they will be A*AA again as I can't see them putting them up in two consecutive years, but you never know! Based on this and the predictions you're aiming for above and they fact that you want to be at Notts I'd say definitely apply.

When I was deciding where to apply to 2 years ago Notts was my perfect Uni, I'd wanted to go here for as long as I could remember, and I basically said to myself I'm going to Nottingham or not going to university at all so I know what you mean when you say you've always wanted to study here. My best advice for you is to get this across in your personal statement (enthusiasm for your subject is key and your passion needs to show), work insanely hard from now until your final exams (at the end of the day, you need those grades!), do practice LNAT's so you're comfortable with the format to give you the best chance of a solid score and come to open days - meet the law admissions tutors and listen to what they say (they will be the ones deciding who gets a place and what grades to offer!), tour the campus and get to know it because you'll be a lot more comfortable in your first few weeks if you get a place here.

I hope this helps, sorry it's a bit of a ramble! Any questions feel free to shoot them my way!

Lora
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lorab
Hi,

*Disclaimer from the start - this is all personal experience and my personal opinion*

I'm a current law student at Notts and can definitely tell you it's worth the effort for to come here! Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming you'll be applying to start September 2014? As far as I know Notts haven't posted what their typical grade requirements will be for the next application cycle but for 2012 entry they were AAA, for 2013 they are A*AA - chances are they will be A*AA again as I can't see them putting them up in two consecutive years, but you never know! Based on this and the predictions you're aiming for above and they fact that you want to be at Notts I'd say definitely apply.

When I was deciding where to apply to 2 years ago Notts was my perfect Uni, I'd wanted to go here for as long as I could remember, and I basically said to myself I'm going to Nottingham or not going to university at all so I know what you mean when you say you've always wanted to study here. My best advice for you is to get this across in your personal statement (enthusiasm for your subject is key and your passion needs to show), work insanely hard from now until your final exams (at the end of the day, you need those grades!), do practice LNAT's so you're comfortable with the format to give you the best chance of a solid score and come to open days - meet the law admissions tutors and listen to what they say (they will be the ones deciding who gets a place and what grades to offer!), tour the campus and get to know it because you'll be a lot more comfortable in your first few weeks if you get a place here.

I hope this helps, sorry it's a bit of a ramble! Any questions feel free to shoot them my way!

Lora

Thank you so much! I was starting to worry I wouldn't get a reply!
I was wondering what extra curricular you had on your personal statement, and what aspects you concentrated on when writing it (Grades/Interests etc). Additionally, what qualities do you think Nottingham Law appreciates?

And thank you for such a thorough response!

Josh
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending