Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to answer this short question?

Identify and explain three aspects of capitalism which lead to the development of Calvinism? (Is rationality one of them?)

Any further questions anyone has I will try my best to answer

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it's not the other way around? Three aspects of Calvinism that lead to the development of Capitalism? That's the point Weber was trying to make, that Calvinism lead to Capitalism.

In that case, try the rational pursuit of money for money sake (the spirit of capitalism). That's only one, but look to see what caused Calvinists to pursue money for money sake, asceticism etc. Then you should find three.

Sorry I can't help any more, I'm a bit rusty on Calvinism.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the question is transposed. Try any three from these:

Successful over the course of a lifetime (need to reinvest profit, innovate etc.)
    Hard-working.
    Moral.
    Thrifty (careful about how you spent your money).
    Modest.

ReputationRep:
    Strange, they don't specifically features of capitalism in relation to Calvinism in the book. I guess you have to use synoptic knowledge. I would have thought to include features of Calvinism in the answer (E.g. Ascetic lifestyle) but this question is kind of odd..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zubhav)
    Strange, they don't specifically features of capitalism in relation to Calvinism in the book. I guess you have to use synoptic knowledge. I would have thought to include features of Calvinism in the answer (E.g. Ascetic lifestyle) but this question is kind of odd..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I meant to ask it the other way around (features of calvinism which led to capitalism)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor Morgan)
    Sorry I meant to ask it the other way around (features of calvinism which led to capitalism)
    Thought so! There are features of Calvinism in the book (Chapter 2) on Weber: religion as a force of change part. I think the features include: Predestination, asceticism and vocation/ calling

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zubhav)
    Thought so! There are features of Calvinism in the book (Chapter 2) on Weber: religion as a force of change part. I think the features include: Predestination, asceticism and vocation/ calling

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are predestination, asceticism and vocation not the beliefs of Calvinism?

ReputationRep:
    I have this exam and am ****ting myself already!

ReputationRep:
    Jan 12

"The growth of the New Age and similar movements is evidence of a spiritual revolution today" (33) BAFFLED

So far I have explained the difference between self-spirituality and religion and New Age but no idea where to go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Calvinists took on the protestant work ethic, driving them to be successful. Also they believed in predestination so to prove that they were chosen for heaven to people around them they had to become successful in their work, driving them to make money and they believed that any profit made should be put back in to their work, helping the development of businesses

ReputationRep:
    Jan 12

"The growth of the New Age and similar movements is evidence of a spiritual revolution today" (33) BAFFLED

So far I have explained the difference between self-spirituality and religion and New Age but no idea where to go from there.
    The way it's worded is confusing. Is it a secularisation debate? like whether the growth of New age movements means religion isn't in decline its just changing form and it's still strong or religion is in decline and new age movements are just a fashion that come and go and people that join them don't really have strong beliefs for example cults like aromatherapy are just services to people when they want them. I might be wrong, just sounds like that to me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 30, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.