The Student Room Group

OCR Sociology Social Inequalities G674 A2 exam

Basically, I was looking through the forums and saw that nobody had started a thread on this exam. I'm wondering how are you planning out your revision as I think I'm going to focus only on Gender and Ethnic Inequalities? :smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Exam12
Basically, I was looking through the forums and saw that nobody had started a thread on this exam. I'm wondering how are you planning out your revision as I think I'm going to focus only on Gender and Ethnic Inequalities? :smile::smile:

My teacher thinks age and race will come up, not class and gender. so I'm revising class, race and age.

Plus, if anyone has an age essay can you put it on here, I'm struggling.
My teacher also thinks age and ethnicity will come up, so I'm not revising class thank god! If anyone has any 40 or 20 mark essays floating around could someone send me a couple pretty please? My teacher's plans are so bad - [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
Original post by wheelbarrow12
My teacher also thinks age and ethnicity will come up, so I'm not revising class thank god! If anyone has any 40 or 20 mark essays floating around could someone send me a couple pretty please? My teacher's plans are so bad - [Removed - please use PMs or post here]

The book isn't much help either I suppose, so lucky i have an amazing teacher! aha. What essays would you like?
Original post by EllenHerrington
The book isn't much help either I suppose, so lucky i have an amazing teacher! aha. What essays would you like?

I'm jealous, my teacher is NEVER in haha! I don't seem to have the age 40 marker?
Original post by wheelbarrow12
I'm jealous, my teacher is NEVER in haha! I don't seem to have the age 40 marker?

Oh ok, I struggled with understanding that but I'm revising that today & writing an essay on it so I can give you that if it would be any help?
I am doing this exam - only focusing on gender, ethnicity and age. I have looked at past exam questions and think something on ethnicity and age will come up as those two have never came up together. Having an absolute nightmare trying to remember all the statistics and studies relevant to the 3a/4a 20 marker :smile:

Also, by analysing past exam questions, they never seem to use the same research methods/concepts twice and use new ones in both question 1 and 2. So the research methods and concepts that have not came up yet are things like longitudinal studies, content analysis, structured interviews etc :smile:

Anyone resitting unit 3?
Sounds like everyone is predicting the same thing.

Im re-taking unit 3, and hoping for really nice questions!
Sounds like everyone is predicting the same thing.

Im re-taking unit 3, and hoping for really nice questions!

Me too, hoping unit 3 will be on gender instead of ethnicity this time as I wrote a nice question today on something that hasn't come up yet!
Reply 9
My teacher thinks age and race will come up, not class and gender. so I'm revising class, race and age.

Plus, if anyone has an age essay can you put it on here, I'm struggling.

Does anyone have a good structure/plan for each question for g674?
Has anybody got model answers?
Reply 11
Does anyone have a study that uses structured interviews? The book doesn't seem to include one.
Last night I did a practice 20 marker and 40 marker for ethnicity :smile:
Planning on doing an age 20 marker and 40 marker later today.

They are both handwritten but I can outline my structure and bullet point of content if anyone wants to know.
Reply 13
Original post by emilypsychology
Last night I did a practice 20 marker and 40 marker for ethnicity :smile:
Planning on doing an age 20 marker and 40 marker later today.

They are both handwritten but I can outline my structure and bullet point of content if anyone wants to know.

That would be useful! Thanks.
Reply 14
I absolutely HATE this unit of Sociology about inequalities and research methods (such a bore!)
Even Crime and Deviance was a lot better!!

I really need to start cracking on with some exam practice and memorising a few statistics, names and explanations mainly. I really cannot wait until my exams are over yet I'm absolutely DREADING Results Day! Lord!
Reply 15
I HATE THIS EXAM! does anyone know how to structure 25 and 15 markers?!?
Original post by HannaBelle
That would be useful! Thanks.

My 20 marker for ethnicity was 'Outline the evidence for ethnic inequalities in the contemporary UK'.

So, I structured it a little like this

Introduction - basically a really brief introduction about how some ethnic groups are subject to discrimination.
1st area of inequality - workplace - used 3 statistics
2nd area of inequality - education - used 3 statistics
3rd area of inequality - crime - used 2 statistics
4th area of inequality - media - used 2 studies
Conclusion - just a brief summary of the areas potential for discrimination and racism for some ethnic groups.

My lecturer told me that your areas of inequality are optional so they don't necessarily have to be all the ones I have done, it can also be in politics, health and housing but you should aim to cover 4 areas and in each area two statistics/studies/concepts are enough as long as you briefly discuss them, but I'd advise 3 in the first two areas to be safe. Each area doesn't have to have the same weighting in content, so you can do what I do and focus more heavily on the first two and lesser so on the last two areas. Aim to write two pages if you have quite average sized handwriting, 1 and a half if small. You should also spend 25 mins on this question at most.

My 40 marker was 'Outline and assess Weberian explanations of ethnic inequality'

Introduction: basically explained what ethnicity was and outlined what I would be discussing in the essay
Weberian explanation more heavy in weighting since it's the explanation in question
Evaluation: Functionalist explanation
Evaluation: Marxist explanation
Evaluation: you could add in either a Neo-Marxist perspective or a Postmodern perspective quite briefly
Conclusion - summary of essay or a conclusion based on your view which explanation is strongest.

You should aim to write 3-4 pages for this question and spend about 40 minutes on it as you should aim for 1 mark per minute.

Since I've wrote quite a bit for the structure I will leave it here. If you want to know what I wrote about for each explanation let me know and I'll do it in bullet point form for you :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by emilypsychology
My 20 marker for ethnicity was 'Outline the evidence for ethnic inequalities in the contemporary UK'.

So, I structured it a little like this

Introduction - basically a really brief introduction about how some ethnic groups are subject to discrimination.
1st area of inequality - workplace - used 3 statistics
2nd area of inequality - education - used 3 statistics
3rd area of inequality - crime - used 2 statistics
4th area of inequality - media - used 2 studies
Conclusion - just a brief summary of the areas potential for discrimination and racism for some ethnic groups.

My lecturer told me that your areas of inequality are optional so they don't necessarily have to be all the ones I have done, it can also be in politics, health and housing but you should aim to cover 4 areas and in each area two statistics/studies/concepts are enough as long as you briefly discuss them, but I'd advise 3 in the first two areas to be safe. Each area doesn't have to have the same weighting in content, so you can do what I do and focus more heavily on the first two and lesser so on the last two areas. Aim to write two pages if you have quite average sized handwriting, 1 and a half if small. You should also spend 25 mins on this question at most.

My 40 marker was 'Outline and assess Weberian explanations of ethnic inequality'

Introduction: basically explained what ethnicity was and outlined what I would be discussing in the essay
Weberian explanation more heavy in weighting since it's the explanation in question
Evaluation: Functionalist explanation
Evaluation: Marxist explanation
Evaluation: you could add in either a Neo-Marxist perspective or a Postmodern perspective quite briefly
Conclusion - summary of essay or a conclusion based on your view which explanation is strongest.

You should aim to write 3-4 pages for this question and spend about 40 minutes on it as you should aim for 1 mark per minute.

Since I've wrote quite a bit for the structure I will leave it here. If you want to know what I wrote about for each explanation let me know and I'll do it in bullet point form for you :smile:

That's brilliant, thanks!
Reply 18
Could you bullet point a structure for question 2 please?
Original post by tarakate
Could you bullet point a structure for question 2 please?

The second question in my post above? Or the question 2 in the actual exam? :P

Quick Reply

Latest