hadukilami
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
I have my biology paper 6 exam in 3 days and I dont know how to revise for it, i usually get a B in pastpapers, but there are so many questions that i just dont know how to answer, do you have any tips? :confused:
Thanks
go0ony
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Here's all you need, good luck!
I'm doing it tomorrow . Here are some tips to help you revise for your exam .

-Drawing: you will be asked to draw diagrams of fruits, insects..etc. in the exam. Make sure it's in pencil, drawn to the correct size, has definite outlines (no 'sketchy' lines), no shading, no arrow heads when labelling and make sure lines point exactly at the labelled part.

-Comparisons: Make sure the points you use to compare diagrams are visible in the diagrams. Use labels on the diagrams as your guide. And don't compare sizes unless you're given a scale. You can compare numbers shape and proportional sizes.

-Designing an experiment:
*Find the variable which is to be changed (from the question) and mention how you are going to change it (ex: to change temperature, use thermometer-controlled water bath at temperatures 10 to 50 degree Celsius).
*List all variables that you have to keep constant throughout the experiment (ex: room temperature, volume of water, insect species). Make sure there's only one variable for the investigation.
*Mention how long your experiment will last.
*Say how you will measure experiments' results (ex: if you're examining presence of starch, say that the food sample which turns the iodine solution a deeper blue contains more starch)
*Finally: say 'repeat experiment to get more reliable results and minimise error. It's guaranteed to gain you marks.
*If you can, set a control for your experiment. (ex: use boiled enzyme in an experiment to test for enzyme activity)

-Drawing a graph: take care of labels of axes, units, scale, using 'cuts' if needed. Always join points using a ruler unless asked to do otherwise (ex: line of best fit)

-Remember the rule: magnification: drawing/real

-Make sure you know how to test for the presence of water, oxygen, carbon dioxide, starch, reducing sugar, proteins, fats, acid and alkali.

-Look at the experiments in the past papers and make sure you understand them well, as this will help you a lot.

Finally, try answering a couple of exams from the past papers. They're sure to give you a good idea of what to expect tomorrow, and will certainly boost your confidence .
Here's a link to the Biology past papers: http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/index.ph…
Just click on 'Cambridge IGCSE' and then choose 'Biology'.

Well..guess that's all. You're now good to go!
Best of luck!
Mário
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
^^ Good Advice. I'm also doing the exam tomorrow. I got a 15/40 in a mock exam. I'm now averaging 28-29/40 which is a low A but I could get an A* if I memorise the different tests for different substances, and made less stupid mistakes.

Make sure you check over your answers after you think you've finished, because if you're anything like me you lose marks for not reading the questions properly.

Good luck!
chatty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, Great advise. I am just going through my papers and doing exactly what you were suggesting. Good Luck for tomorrow everyone.
Hareema99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,i have a really good site for the paper 6 guide I'm learning from. it can be great help for beginners or intermediate. here i would like to suggest:igsepro
MoustiM09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This will help a lot https://revise.znotes.org/cie-igcse/biology-0610
Santona
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How to find errors from the given experiment the first part of paper 6 ?? 😵😵😑plz someone help I always get confused while finding the errors ,plz someone give me advice or ways how to find it .
Ig student
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Read every step in the experiment......errors are usually volume of water/acid/etc or amount of solid added too or the intial temperature of the liquid or the time that is given for each experiment..........if the time volume or tempreture are not given then you can use them as an error
Last edited by Ig student; 6 months ago
TheTenthBox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you would like Biology theory notes, visit RevisePro - Biology.
There are tons of other resources for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Bio, check it out: revisepro.org
(Original post by hadukilami)
Hi,
I have my biology paper 6 exam in 3 days and I dont know how to revise for it, i usually get a B in pastpapers, but there are so many questions that i just dont know how to answer, do you have any tips? :confused:
Thanks
NadineAhmedHelmy
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, just wanted to join in so it's a watched thread, also taking my cie examinations, ask me anything
Jess1001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by NadineAhmedHelmy)
Hi, just wanted to join in so it's a watched thread, also taking my cie examinations, ask me anything
I'm also taking cie examinations and my bio paper 6 starts in three days. do u have any advice on what i should be doing during these three days?
i did a lot of past papers already but i still don't feel like i know much
NadineAhmedHelmy
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Make sure you go over content as well, so for each topic, find a suitable experiment, learn its variables. I've done past papers as well and honestly I feel ya. I have some notes and loads of flashcards made as well.

Anyone here that takes Maths Paper 2 also?
(Original post by Jess1001)
I'm also taking cie examinations and my bio paper 6 starts in three days. do u have any advice on what i should be doing during these three days?
i did a lot of past papers already but i still don't feel like i know much
Last edited by NadineAhmedHelmy; 6 months ago
rutuja2003
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Mário)
^^ Good Advice. I'm also doing the exam tomorrow. I got a 15/40 in a mock exam. I'm now averaging 28-29/40 which is a low A but I could get an A* if I memorise the different tests for different substances, and made less stupid mistakes.

Make sure you check over your answers after you think you've finished, because if you're anything like me you lose marks for not reading the questions properly.

Good luck!
I got a 33 in my mock and I’m terrified for Thursday 💀💀
Jess1001
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm taking maths paper 2 too but maths is easy its just biology that I'm terrified about
rutuja2003
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm taking maths paper 2 too but maths is easy its just biology that I'm terrified about
Oh my god! I can totally RELATE!
Jess1001
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
rutuja2003 are u taking chemistry as well? What subjects are u taking?
rutuja2003
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
rutuja2003 are u taking chemistry as well? What subjects are u taking?
I’m taking chemistry physics biology math addmath economics French and English
9subjects🤦🏻*♀️ and you?
ShreyuPalley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This is so true! Maths is easy for me so I haven´t prepared extensively for it but I have done so many past papers. The marks I miss in biology feels like a lack of common sense. I am extremely nervous.
Jess1001
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
wow that's a lot of subjects! I only take 6, english first language, chemistry, physics, biology, maths and business studies. Are u ready for your chemistry paper 4?
(Original post by rutuja2003)
I’m taking chemistry physics biology math addmath economics French and English
9subjects🤦🏻*♀️ and you?
Jess1001
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I know! It's the same thing to me too! I feel like i don't have much common sense lol
(Original post by ShreyuPalley)
This is so true! Maths is easy for me so I haven´t prepared extensively for it but I have done so many past papers. The marks I miss in biology feels like a lack of common sense. I am extremely nervous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.94%
Labour (322)
42.65%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.26%
Green Party (41)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)