The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

british whites being a minority in london

how do british whites feel about been a minority in london?

are you bitter?

does it make you feel insecure?

are u happy about it?

it demonstrates multiculturalism?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246288/Census-2011-UK-immigrant-population-jumps-THREE-MILLION-10-years.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm one of those british whites and I couldn't care less. I've had people be racist to me before but hey you give what you get. Me and my friends trade racist banter all the time, race really isn't a big deal.

I'll say something x tamil friend looks like y tamil friend because all tamils look the same, then I'll get back something like all white people are posh etc or welsh people copulate with sheep.

To put it bluntly, race really isn't a big issue and we trade racist insults just like any other banter you would trade with your friends.

I think people care too much about race, for me it really isn't an issue, well at least not in my area. Its such a petty thing to care so much about, the colour of someones skin or their ethnicity.

EDIT: I will admit that jewish people do probably get racially abused in my area however, if you score a cheap goal in football someone will shout " get the tora out" and "jew goal", regardless of their being hardly any jewish people in my school/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm white british and live in london and couldn't care less whether i'm a minority or not.
Makes me sick to think of BNP's recent urge to its members to breed a new generation of white children, have 3 or 4 rather than 1.98 which is the average, will just make the jobs/benefits/healthcare/tax/pension age stuff worse with more people around.
People need to stop caring about race. Yes we look different. So what?
Reply 3
Original post by Jprr
I'm white british and live in london and couldn't care less whether i'm a minority or not.
Makes me sick to think of BNP's recent urge to its members to breed a new generation of white children, have 3 or 4 rather than 1.98 which is the average, will just make the jobs/benefits/healthcare/tax/pension age stuff worse with more people around.

I think when people talk about racial grievances they mean to talk about cultural grievances My step - dad is a cook who lives in bradford, to be honest before my parents split up I never was able to listen first hand to the grivences of one from a working class background who felt aggrieved whilst living in multicultural society.

I think the problem in areas such as Bradford, with cultural polarization and even voluntary segregation in areas, with some areas being dubbed 'asian areas' etc is partly down to xenophobia on both 'side's, but mainly down to the fact that we failed to make many immigrants feel included in mainstream British culture, we have only given the the freedoms to practice their own and thus polarization has occurred in some select cases. Mainly it has been a success.
(edited 10 years ago)
What's your fixation on race? Seriously, every thread. :curious:
Reply 5
Original post by Thriftworks
I think when people talk about racial grievances they mean to talk about cultural grievances My step - dad is a cook who lives in bradford, to be honest before my parents split up I never was able to listen first hand to the grivences of one from a working class background who felt aggrieved whilst living in multicultural society.

I think the problem in areas such as bradford with a cultural polatisation and even voluntary segregation in areas, with some areas being dubbed 'asian areas' etc is partly down to xenophobia on both 'side's, but mainly down to the fact that we failed to make many immigrants feel included in mainstream British culture, we have only given the the freedoms to practice their own and thus polarization has occurred in some select cases. Mainly it has been a success.

Very true. Nick Griffin and his band of bigots is making many a mountain out of a molehill, and the fact he can no longer say keep Britain for the British due to the large amounts of ethnic minorites who are for generations British makes me happy :smile:
Reply 6
Personally, I'm not too fussed what colour faces I see when walking around. On a larger scale though, it's not good that our capital city is becoming less desirable to natives - not just as a percentage, but in absolute numbers too.

Original post by Jprr

Erm, how can you criticise a drive to get white people to have as many children as some non-white demographics by saying it's a strain on public services without also criticising those non-white demographics as a strain on public services?
Reply 7
Original post by Hopple
Personally, I'm not too fussed what colour faces I see when walking around. On a larger scale though, it's not good that our capital city is becoming less desirable to natives - not just as a percentage, but in absolute numbers too.

Erm, how can you criticise a drive to get white people to have as many children as some non-white demographics by saying it's a strain on public services without also criticising those non-white demographics as a strain on public services?

Our capital city is the most multicultural capital city in the wordl, it's something to be proud of that people from all walks of life can feel comfortable living here. I would critiscise any political party who put strain on non-white demographics to have more and more children, but there are none that I am aware of. This guy complains about all the imigrants coming in and taking 'our' jobs, yet is encouraging more people to have kids to compete for these few jobs? Means more white unemployment, which of course he will blame on those bloody imigrants won't he?
Reply 8
Original post by Jprr
Our capital city is the most multicultural capital city in the wordl, it's something to be proud of that people from all walks of life can feel comfortable living here.

No, I mean there are fewer and fewer white Brits living there, i.e. they're moving out. That's not good.

I would critiscise any political party who put strain on non-white demographics to have more and more children, but there are none that I am aware of. This guy complains about all the imigrants coming in and taking 'our' jobs, yet is encouraging more people to have kids to compete for these few jobs? Means more white unemployment, which of course he will blame on those bloody imigrants won't he?
My point was, why don't you criticise the groups who already have a higher than average birth rate, hence are already contributing in a far greater way to the strain on public services?
Reply 9
Original post by Jprr
Very true. Nick Griffin and his band of bigots is making many a mountain out of a molehill, and the fact he can no longer say keep Britain for the British due to the large amounts of ethnic minorites who are for generations British makes me happy :smile:

I don't think he cares anymore. He'll be having fun chilling out in Croatia when he retires. He just needs more suckers to donate to what is essentially a one-man-band. MEP fees are a good moneyspinner too.
Original post by Jprr
Our capital city is the most multicultural capital city in the wordl, it's something to be proud of that people from all walks of life can feel comfortable living here. I would critiscise any political party who put strain on non-white demographics to have more and more children, but there are none that I am aware of. This guy complains about all the imigrants coming in and taking 'our' jobs, yet is encouraging more people to have kids to compete for these few jobs? Means more white unemployment, which of course he will blame on those bloody imigrants won't he?

I agree no-one has a right to a job over another who is equally qualified. However increasing the supply low skilled labour is not necessarily a good thing when you already have an excess of low skilled labour. This is because you have a minimable effect on labour competitiveness compared to a 'tight' labour market. You also inevitabley suppress wages and slow down the rate at which we are decreasing un-employment + put strain on public services.

Immigration is controversial but I think we need to remember it is at its core an economic policy and like any economic policy the best time to apply it depends on the situation of the economy at the present time. I have plenty of friends who are 2nd generation immigrants who feel we need to target high skilled labour and curve the supply of low skilled labour to allow us to re balance our labour market.
Reply 11
Original post by Hopple
No, I mean there are fewer and fewer white Brits living there, i.e. they're moving out. That's not good.

My point was, why don't you criticise the groups who already have a higher than average birth rate, hence are already contributing in a far greater way to the strain on public services?

Those who are moving out are doing so because they would prefer to live in the leafy suburbs and commute in. The white brits, in general, earn way more than any other ethnicities and so can afford this luxury, whereas the other ethnicities may find that a little more difficult due to lower pay in general.
Fair point. But on average, ethnic minorities pay in more than they take out than us white brits, so I think they have a little more leway. Though I agree that all parents need to think about the wider implications of their child numbers rising above 2, maybe a stretch to 3.
Reply 12
Original post by effofex
I don't think he cares anymore. He'll be having fun chilling out in Croatia when he retires. He just needs more suckers to donate to what is essentially a one-man-band. MEP fees are a good moneyspinner too.

He is doing quite well out of it. Almost feel sorry for those he has successfully conned... But then I remember they supported his ideas so that pity disappears :smile:
Reply 13
I agree no-one has a right to a job over another who is equally qualified. However increasing the supply low skilled labour is not necessarily a good thing when you already have an excess of low skilled labour. This is because you have a minimable effect on labour competitiveness compared to a 'tight' labour market. You also inevitabley suppress wages and slow down the rate at which we are decreasing un-employment + put strain on public services.

Immigration is controversial but I think we need to remember it is at its core an economic policy and like any economic policy the best time to apply it depends on the situation of the economy at the present time. I have plenty of friends who are 2nd generation immigrants who feel we need to target high skilled labour and curve the supply of low skilled labour to allow us to re balance our labour market.

We do need to target high skilled imigrants its true. Though the main argument most anti-imigration people come up with is that they are under-cutting british prices. Simple answer, introduce living wage. Means we won't be undercut and so can show our skills in comparison to an imigrant who could well be better than us, could well be worse, but we're bothing getting payed the same so we will be (hopefully) judged on our merits.
But I agree that increasing the supply of non-skilled workers is a problem, but Griffins idea that more white (predominantly working class white) people will mean more jobs for white brits is ludicrous.

Immigration is controversial

It's not really though; it almost always comes near the top of things people are concerned about in polls
Reply 15
I don't see why English people and Poles don't get along better anyway. It's not like we conquered them and let them go 50 years ago, after racial abusing them centuries or whatever. They don't tend to be Islamists either.
Original post by Jprr
We do need to target high skilled imigrants its true. Though the main argument most anti-imigration people come up with is that they are under-cutting british prices. Simple answer, introduce living wage. Means we won't be undercut and so can show our skills in comparison to an imigrant who could well be better than us, could well be worse, but we're bothing getting payed the same so we will be (hopefully) judged on our merits.
But I agree that increasing the supply of non-skilled workers is a problem, but Griffins idea that more white (predominantly working class white) people will mean more jobs for white brits is ludicrous.

Well the living wage is another debate in itself.
Reply 17
Original post by Jprr
Those who are moving out are doing so because they would prefer to live in the leafy suburbs and commute in. The white brits, in general, earn way more than any other ethnicities and so can afford this luxury, whereas the other ethnicities may find that a little more difficult due to lower pay in general.
Fair point. But on average, ethnic minorities pay in more than they take out than us white brits, so I think they have a little more leway. Though I agree that all parents need to think about the wider implications of their child numbers rising above 2, maybe a stretch to 3.

I don't think this is true anymore.

The suburbs are cheaper than the inner cities. If you live in inner London (exception if you live in a council property and your rent is paid by the government) you are most likely able to be able to commute from the suburbs (e.g. Zones 1-4 monthly Oyster cards aren't all that more expensive than Zone 1-2 cards). And rental costs fall off quite steeply in Zone 5 when compared to say, the boundary between Zone 1 and Zone 2.

The pay differential between White British people and non-British people in London is increasingly non-existent. Certainly technical industries (where proficiency in programming languages, stochastic calculus, engineering techniques etc. are more important than full English fluency) are dominated by many non-British people in London. The areas where you still see a clear majority of British people tends to be in the legal profession and in media (where it is difficult to transition from one nation to another given that full fluency in the local language is required, unlike say, when working in pharmaceuticals, market finance, software engineering etc.)

Alot of the reason why people move out of the inner city is because they simpky cannot afford to stay there anymore, particularly if they have children. There has been alot of money flowing into London property particularly from Gulf Arabia and Russia of late, but also from Indian, Chinese and other high-net-worth investors.
Reply 18
Well the living wage is another debate in itself.

Indeed it is my fellow TSRer, indeed it is.
Original post by doomhalo
It's not really though; it almost always comes near the top of things people are concerned about in polls

Those who are supportive of it ( in its current form ) don't mention it as an issue in the polls obviously, so it's harder to gauge support

Latest