The Student Room Group

TSR Guitar Society Mk II

Original post by jonnyb123
Yeah it's brilliant, I have the lick library DVD for dream theater too.

That's hot.

I found John Myung's video on YouTube, I haven't got round to watching it all though ;_;

10-****ing-thousand!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by + polarity -
That's hot.

I found John Myung's video on YouTube, I haven't got round to watching it all though ;_;

10-****ing-thousand!!!!

He's mad!
Reply 2
Original post by Manitude
I have a hot rod deluxe and it's great. Excellent for blues and rock. The high gain isn't very punchy/clear so it's not great for metal. But if you have a guitar of similar quality then they'll work really well together. I've only ever played a strat through it and that sounds amazing, I reckon a LP would too.
My main gripe other than the clarity of the gain channels with it is the volume. Playing quietly isn't an option. It's either off, just-about-as loud-as-you-can-get-away-with-in-your-bedroom or really loud.

Thats alright, I don't play a huge amount of metal any more anyway. I do have a Line 6 POD so I suppose that would work if I needed more?

Interesting what you say about the volume, is yours the 40w one?

I have some nice guitars - USA Stratocaster + Telecaster and an Epiphone LP Custom with Burstbuckers on it so I have that end covered :biggrin:
Reply 3

I now have a bass to compliment my 8-string. :cool:
Reply 4
Original post by 1992LP
Thats alright, I don't play a huge amount of metal any more anyway. I do have a Line 6 POD so I suppose that would work if I needed more?

Interesting what you say about the volume, is yours the 40w one?

I have some nice guitars - USA Stratocaster + Telecaster and an Epiphone LP Custom with Burstbuckers on it so I have that end covered :biggrin:

Yeah, 40W. I very rarely take it about 2 out of 12 on the volume control, and I don't think I've played more than a few seconds on anything above 4, even when there's nobody about to hear it other than me. Being a valve amp, the louder you go (up to a certain point) the better the tones get, so unless you've got a big space you need to fill with sound it's hard to get the full potential of the amp.
It'll definitely sound nice with a strat, and I'd imagine a tele too. As I said, never tried it with a LP but I'd imagine a good set of pups will be fine. That's quite a fine range of guitars I'll be honest. I have owned two MIM strats (one was stolen) and two Tanglewood acoustic guitars. My current strat came with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge which is really nice. It's supposed to be for SRV style blues though I find it works well with anything and the highs on it are amazingly smooth. Thinking of getting an Ibanez in the near future and a Gibson LP when I've got some money. I'm not planning on getting an epi LP seeing as I'll have a job in a few years so I may as well wait and splash out on something really special :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah, 40W. I very rarely take it about 2 out of 12 on the volume control, and I don't think I've played more than a few seconds on anything above 4, even when there's nobody about to hear it other than me. Being a valve amp, the louder you go (up to a certain point) the better the tones get, so unless you've got a big space you need to fill with sound it's hard to get the full potential of the amp.
It'll definitely sound nice with a strat, and I'd imagine a tele too. As I said, never tried it with a LP but I'd imagine a good set of pups will be fine. That's quite a fine range of guitars I'll be honest. I have owned two MIM strats (one was stolen) and two Tanglewood acoustic guitars. My current strat came with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge which is really nice. It's supposed to be for SRV style blues though I find it works well with anything and the highs on it are amazingly smooth. Thinking of getting an Ibanez in the near future and a Gibson LP when I've got some money. I'm not planning on getting an epi LP seeing as I'll have a job in a few years so I may as well wait and splash out on something really special :biggrin:

I will have to see if I can have a go of one at some point, only ever heard one once and it did sound lovely!

Thanks, I have always had jobs and little else to spend my money on so I guess that is where it all went! Got a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker on the bridge of the Strat which is awesome, these MIM Strats are really good as well.

The Epiphone was my first proper guitar - lovely thing to play but rubbish electrics. The proper pups fixed the sound, but all the pots have needed to be replaced, the input jack has been replaced, and the pickup switch is on its way out now.

My mate has an Ibanez Prestige of some sort, he loves it but I just can't get on with it. Love their tone though, especially Joe Satriani's stuff!

Interesting you mention a Gibson LP, I am considering selling the Tele and getting one myself! Sounds like you have a really good setup though, I kind of wish I had held off on buying another nice guitar and bought a better amp instead.
Reply 6
Original post by 1992LP
I will have to see if I can have a go of one at some point, only ever heard one once and it did sound lovely!

Thanks, I have always had jobs and little else to spend my money on so I guess that is where it all went! Got a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker on the bridge of the Strat which is awesome, these MIM Strats are really good as well.

The Epiphone was my first proper guitar - lovely thing to play but rubbish electrics. The proper pups fixed the sound, but all the pots have needed to be replaced, the input jack has been replaced, and the pickup switch is on its way out now.

My mate has an Ibanez Prestige of some sort, he loves it but I just can't get on with it. Love their tone though, especially Joe Satriani's stuff!

Interesting you mention a Gibson LP, I am considering selling the Tele and getting one myself! Sounds like you have a really good setup though, I kind of wish I had held off on buying another nice guitar and bought a better amp instead.

Yeah, I'm really pleased with me setup. I read once that you should spend about the same on your guitar as your amp, and that's about what I've done.
It seems most people get a cheap ass amp and a whole bunch of guitars. I know someone who did the opposite though, only had a pacific or yamaha mock-strat with a marshall half stack worth about £800.
If I get a nice new Ibanez I think I might invest in a half stack to go with it, cos as I said earlier, hot rod deluxe amps aren't good for metal. I have a 15w marshall amp which is OK on high gain, but the bass on it sucks and it makes everything sound the same.
Reply 7
Original post by ThatGuyPsy

That is *gorgeous*! Is it an Ibanez SR? EMG pickups?
Reply 8
I haven't played muchly the past month or two but the past two days I've been playing everywhere and it seems my vibrato has improved and I've become faster and everything is just better and I FEEL SO ALONE GONNA END UP A BIG OLD PILE OF THEM

Also I moved everything around in my room and now when sat playing at the PC I can see myself in a mirror and I seem to have finally reached the level of totally relaxed and proper looking picking/fretting hands.

I don't know if this makes sense but it's a thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
That's good to hear :smile:
Reply 10

Tasty :sexface:
Though the width of the fretboard on the 8 string is rather intimidatin. as much as I'd like to be able to shatter the earth with an 8 string, I have stubby fingers :frown:
Shatter the earth ahahahaha
Reply 12
Well I'd spend most of my time with an 8 string playing stoner doom and drone so it feels like an appropriate description.

I still need to speak to my mate about starting up a sXe stoner doom band, it'd be hilarious. I think I'm gonna try and get a folk metal ish band going this term though. I've actually been asked to play in a power metal band but I'm not a shredder so I doubt it'll work too well.

So Psy, what have you been playing with your 8 strings of wonder?
Well I'd spend most of my time with an 8 string playing stoner doom and drone so it feels like an appropriate description.

I still need to speak to my mate about starting up a sXe stoner doom band, it'd be hilarious. I think I'm gonna try and get a folk metal ish band going this term though. I've actually been asked to play in a power metal band but I'm not a shredder so I doubt it'll work too well.

I'd love to be in a band, but I feel like I know so little of what I want to know, I wouldn't be able to play anything!

Hmm, folk metal... do you have any examples?
Reply 15
That is *gorgeous*! Is it an Ibanez SR? EMG pickups?

It's an SR-305. The pickups aren't EMGs but they are active. They sound alright to my ears. :P

So Psy, what have you been playing with your 8 strings of wonder?

TBH, I spent most of my time writing my own music as I got bored of the whole 'let's play that awesome riff from that song!!!' thing years ago. I find writing much more interesting and rewarding, plus it keeps me motivated so it's all good. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
That's so cool
Reply 17
I'd love to be in a band, but I feel like I know so little of what I want to know, I wouldn't be able to play anything!

Hmm, folk metal... do you have any examples?

Well I'll be writing some of the songs, but Ensiferum, Alestorm type stuff would be cool. Maybe a bit of korpiklaani.

I've not played that song in aaaages but back in the day I knew how to play most if not all of it so I should be able to work it out again.
Reply 18
Hey guys, basically, my mother thought all my picks was just trash lying around so she took the liberty of throwing them away :lol: Was wondering if a kind soul could point me to some nice picks because the ones I had were really thin and flimsy. A link would be even better! :smile: Thanks! :smile:

Oh and time for thread 2 for the TSR Guitar soc? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Revent
Hey guys, basically, my mother thought all my picks was just trash lying around so she took the liberty of throwing them away :lol: Was wondering if a kind soul could point me to some nice picks because the ones I had were really thin and flimsy. A link would be even better! :smile: Thanks! :smile:

Oh and time for thread 2 for the TSR Guitar soc? :smile:

I exclusively use Jim Dunlop 3.0mm Stubbies. They are brilliant I think, although can get a little slippy if your hand is sweaty.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/stubby

Quick Reply

Latest