The Student Room Group

English GCSE Help! Descriptive writing

My exam board is WJEC and for my GCSE Language grade i need to do a writing piece on descriptive writing.
My task is describe a scene at a school or college canteen.

Please could someone help me with a structure. (so what i can write about in my 6 paragraphs)

And can someone please give me a couple of examples of really good descriptive sentences (using a variety of punctuation, and different descriptive techniques ) of the school canteen.

Any help would be appreciated
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Eng Study Help
Hi! Maybe we can help with your question. :smile:

On Marked by Teachers, teachers and top students analyse all sorts of English essays to give you an insider's look into what makes a great essay. Come and visit our English essay section on Marked by Teachers and use this analysis and advice to write your own masterpiece at GCSE or A-level!

We're TSR's sister site, so you're sure to feel right at home straight away. Just take our free tour to see how we can help you with your studies.

Thanks!
Your English study helper

I'm re-doing my english descriptive writing task as well, having achieved a B in my first attempt. If I prepare a draft, would it be alright if your could correct/mark it?

Reply 2
Original post by tree123
My exam board is WJEC and for my GCSE Language grade i need to do a writing piece on descriptive writing.
My task is describe a scene at a school or college canteen.

Please could someone help me with a structure. (so what i can write about in my 6 paragraphs)

And can someone please give me a couple of examples of really good descriptive sentences (using a variety of punctuation, and different descriptive techniques ) of the school canteen.

Any help would be appreciated
thanks

I don't really have time to give some specific examples, but perhaps you could be all sophisticated and use a jungle/ animal semantic field to capture the chaos? Or go military to convey the structure of school (or maybe even a prison)? You could also think about perspective. Who are you as the describer? Are there problems school reminds you of that could be conveyed through description? (Try not to lapse into storytelling though.) Are you a teacher reminiscing about your own school days and how much things have changed? In fact, what time period are you describing?

Basically, just try to be inventive - you could even pretend it's night time for a different take on the question. Structure-wise, I personally would write as if I was walking through school, describing the things I see. Or if I was doing the comparison one with the teacher, merge the two so they almost blend together.

Original post by ergo30
I'm re-doing my english descriptive writing task as well, having achieved a B in my first attempt. If I prepare a draft, would it be alright if your could correct/mark it?

I think this is an automated response to unanswered threads to attract more visitors to their site, so you're unlikely to get any help by asking them here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending