The Student Room Group

Self Study - A-levels

Hey guys,

OK, so I was looking for some information regarding A-levels and self-study. I’ve been browsing the internet and from what I can tell it’s possible, as long as you can find a centre which will allow you to sit the necessary exams.

When I was searching the internet, I did come across a forum where someone stated that one would need to download certain material from the examining body website for each subject? Unfortunately, I’m having trouble re-locating the whereabouts of this information so I wondered if anyone could offer me any further information with regards to this? The subjects I’m hoping to undertake include: history, law and politics.

Has anyone successfully studied A-levels from home, privately?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Original post by Chippie86
Hey guys,

OK, so I was looking for some information regarding A-levels and self-study. I’ve been browsing the internet and from what I can tell it’s possible, as long as you can find a centre which will allow you to sit the necessary exams.

When I was searching the internet, I did come across a forum where someone stated that one would need to download certain material from the examining body website for each subject? Unfortunately, I’m having trouble re-locating the whereabouts of this information so I wondered if anyone could offer me any further information with regards to this? The subjects I’m hoping to undertake include: history, law and politics.

Has anyone successfully studied A-levels from home, privately?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Hi :smile: I'm currently doing self study A Levels! I completed my AS in Gov&Pol in Jan with an A so I have some success in the area (hoping for more in June!). I will be taking A2 History and A2 Politics in June.

Effectively yes, as long as you can find a centre with the right exam board to do the exam then you're in the money as it were. You do tend to have to pay to do the exams privately at a centre. With history, the biggest issue can be finding somewhere to mark or at least collect your coursework. Very few places take coursework so you will probably have a hard time finding a centre to do it however if you go with certain exam board (AQA in my experience) a centre can do what is called "Prime Marking" in which they take the coursework in but it goes straight to the exam board for marking. I can send you the link for the information regarding Prime Marking if you need it.

With regard to the download of information, most exams have a textbook which accompanies the course which you will need to purchase rather than download the information online. Very few exams will be based solely from online material that can you easily access for free. It all really depends on what exam board you would like to do your exams with.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Hi!

I've recently done a physics a level (AQA) and I received an A. A piece of advice that got me through it was to keep doing the past papers from the examining board.

Good Luck!!!
Reply 3
Hi
I am currently studying a Biology A level, due to complete this June. Ive done this through 'NEC' which has been excellent( im on traCk to get an A) However I chose them as they have a assigned center in my city, so I knew i could sit exams there. You send your course work to you NEC tutor who sends it off to the exam board.
When i began looking into doing this the main problem i found people were saying was finding someone to sit the exams. Some schools will take external canditates alot wont. So make sure you look into this first.
A level has cost me around £800 in total, paying for NEC course, each exam and course work submission.

Quote;
When I was searching the internet, I did come across a forum where someone stated that one would need to download certain material from the examining body website for each subject?

Im doing edexcel biology. On teh edexcel biology there is a specification, whch tells you everything you need to knwo for the exams. I imagine, each exam board would have the same? Trying searching for 'specification'?

I agree with Lee1710, when it comes to exams, do as many past papers as possible, again and again. You may feel you know the material, but thsi will help you understand the mark scheme.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending