How to write a good IB world lit essay in HL english ?

Watch this thread
IB007Student
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What are you supposed to write about in a world lit essay? I'm doing my essay on antigone but i'm not sure what i'm supposed to write..is it meant to be an argument or..? please help, our teacher hasn't explained anything to us..
fairisle13
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Hi, found an example for you:
http://www.slideshare.net/EmmanuelCa...terature-essay

Generally you tend to choose a theme within the book that you can base a question on.
I believe mine was "How have the authors represented the struggle between freedom and imprisonment in ‘The Outsider’ and ‘One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich’ ?"
You could however create a statement and say to what extent that statement is true.
It's not so much an argument as an analysis of an extract(s) of the book(s) with respect to your question. By this I mean you must pick one or more extracts and pick apart phrases within them, discussing the significance of the words the author has used and to what effect. Mention lots of literary features e.g. pathetic fallacy, irony, foreshadowing, personification etc. where relevant and correct. These are like buzzwords for whoever will be marking your paper, it shows you understand what literary features are, an important aspect of the course.
E.g. 'the author uses the weather to convey a sense of confinement because the sun is used to highlight the barbed wire and prison bars...' (that's just a quick example, you need to quote and be specific, don't ever be vague).
If you are struggling to come up with a question write down all of the central issues and themes within your book and see if that gives you some inspiration, for example, a common theme between the two books I studied was imprisonment and that's how I came up with my question.
I hope this helps and isn't too confusing
anuj999
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Please help me also. I need to write my World Lit on either " A Christmas Carol" or "Tamas".

I am not sure of what to write or how to go about the essay.

Please help me.!
fairisle13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by anuj999)
Please help me also. I need to write my World Lit on either " A Christmas Carol" or "Tamas".

I am not sure of what to write or how to go about the essay.

Please help me.!
I don't know exactly how much help I'll be because I haven't studied either of the two texts, but see above for general rule of thumb.
I would suggest you pick a theme in either of the two books, A Christmas Carol is probably easier to find help for on the net:
http://www.gradesaver.com/a-christma.../major-themes/
Base a question around one of the major themes, perhaps maybe discuss how the author has used the book as a commentary on wider society (during the victorian era). If you were to do this question perhaps discuss whether the setting is a microcosm and whether the story could be considered a didactic (moral message to reader). Whatever you decide to do justify your response to the question by using quotes from two or three extracts of the book (generally 1-3 page long extracts).
Make sure if you directly use any ideas from online that aren't you own that you cite them in your essay.
It may also be of help to you to search for some sample World Literature essays, or maybe ask your teacher if you can see one of last year's essays as a guide for how to set yours out?
Once you come up with a question I'd check it with your teacher to see what they think about the wording etc.
anuj999
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fairisle13)
I don't know exactly how much help I'll be because I haven't studied either of the two texts, but see above for general rule of thumb.
I would suggest you pick a theme in either of the two books, A Christmas Carol is probably easier to find help for on the net:
http://www.gradesaver.com/a-christma.../major-themes/
Base a question around one of the major themes, perhaps maybe discuss how the author has used the book as a commentary on wider society (during the victorian era). If you were to do this question perhaps discuss whether the setting is a microcosm and whether the story could be considered a didactic (moral message to reader). Whatever you decide to do justify your response to the question by using quotes from two or three extracts of the book (generally 1-3 page long extracts).
Make sure if you directly use any ideas from online that aren't you own that you cite them in your essay.
It may also be of help to you to search for some sample World Literature essays, or maybe ask your teacher if you can see one of last year's essays as a guide for how to set yours out?
Once you come up with a question I'd check it with your teacher to see what they think about the wording etc.
Thank you so much mate.
Lets see what happens. I have my IOP today.
fairisle13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Thank you so much mate.
Lets see what happens. I have my IOP today.
Good luck with it all!
anuj999
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Good luck with it all!
Well,
The IOP was ok. NOt very appealing... Still i'll manage a good score.

Thanks a lot for your help mate.
btw, which university are u in currently?
fairisle13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well,
The IOP was ok. NOt very appealing... Still i'll manage a good score.

Thanks a lot for your help mate.
btw, which university are u in currently?
Not at uni at the moment, had to go back to sixth form to re-sit my standard subjects (maths, environmental systems and Italian) because I had chickenpox when I sat them first time round and messed them up. Still managed to do well in English, geography and history tho . Going to uni this September, hopefully either York or Nottingham.
anuj999
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Not at uni at the moment, had to go back to sixth form to re-sit my standard subjects (maths, environmental systems and Italian) because I had chickenpox when I sat them first time round and messed them up. Still managed to do well in English, geography and history tho . Going to uni this September, hopefully either York or Nottingham.
Good luck with your exams mate....
co2014
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Excuse me, but I take HL English, and after a whole year of IB, I've never heard of the world lit essay from my teacher. Care to explain what it is? I've submitted two "written tasks" on media and society, but I'm unsure if that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fairisle13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by co2014)
Excuse me, but I take HL English, and after a whole year of IB, I've never heard of the world lit essay from my teacher. Care to explain what it is? I've submitted two "written tasks" on media and society, but I'm unsure if that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard of written tasks in HL English Lang & Lit, is this what you do? World literature essays (2 for higher) are only for English Literature, not English Language and Literature.
co2014
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I've heard of written tasks in HL English Lang & Lit, is this what you do? World literature essays (2 for higher) are only for English Literature, not English Language and Literature.
Oh, okay! I guess that's what I'm doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tanya blum a
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
how can I start my world lit paper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads