The Student Room Group

How to tell my boss if I can't get time off, I quit (without sounding like a t***)

Hey!
I'm currently working part-time at Sainsbury's, hoping to quit in September to go to University. I love Glastonbury festival, but unfortunately didn't manage to get tickets this year. However I did book the weekend off work on paid holiday, and have secured a job at the festival!
However, the job requires me to arrive several days earlier, which would mean missing two four-hour shifts. I need to ask my boss if I can get those two shifts off unpaid holiday. It is quite possible (and fair of her) that she is just unable to let me off for those two days. As I'll be leaving soon anyway, I'd rather just leave before the festival and attend it, than work an extra month. How do I say to her politely, that if I cannot get the days off, then I might just quit?
I don't mean to offend her, or come across as a spoilt brat who can't get what he wants so just quits, but I'd much rather go to the festival than work another month and not go.
Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by Lgambo
Hey!
I don't mean to offend her, or come across as a spoilt brat who can't get what he wants so just quits, but I'd much rather go to the festival than work another month and not go.
Thanks a lot!

To me it does seem you are coming across as a spoilt brat.

All I can recommend is you get someone cover your shifts and you take it unpaid but you need your manager/supervisor/who ever it is to agree and then find someone.

Is it really a good idea to quit a job and lose a months pay over a few days job? Personally I'd stuff Glastonbury this year and do it next year, but that's just my personal choice.
Reply 2
Original post by Smartcook
To me it does seem you are coming across as a spoilt brat.

All I can recommend is you get someone cover your shifts and you take it unpaid but you need your manager/supervisor/who ever it is to agree and then find someone.

Is it really a good idea to quit a job and lose a months pay over a few days job? Personally I'd stuff Glastonbury this year and do it next year, but that's just my personal choice.

I don't feel like I'm being a brat, the only reason I work is so I can afford things like Glastonbury. Like I said, I love Glasto. It's really important to me- me and my family have gone for years. You might 'stuff' it but it obviously holds no sentimental value to you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
And unfortunately you can only swap shifts in the same week and I would be away all week. :frown: Thanks for your advice though
Reply 4
If you say you'll quit if you don't get the time off, she'll probably tell you to go ahead and quit. Honestly. I've worked in retail management before (not Sainsburys, mind you) and I don't mean to offend you at all, but this kind of thing happened a lot at my old workplace and it's very easy to take on new staff within a week or two.
That said, why can't you ask her to take those two days off unpaid? It's only two four hour shifts.
Reply 5
Original post by jays89
If you say you'll quit if you don't get the time off, she'll probably tell you to go ahead and quit. Honestly. I've worked in retail management before (not Sainsburys, mind you) and I don't mean to offend you at all, but this kind of thing happened a lot at my old workplace and it's very easy to take on new staff within a week or two.
That said, why can't you ask her to take those two days off unpaid? It's only two four hour shifts.

Not offensive at all- I understand completely. I'd expect her to say that. I started the thread more asking about how to phrase it, to not to sound like "If you don't give me the time off, I QUIT!!!". Luckily me and her get on really well, so whatever happens I know we'll part on good terms.
just tell her you work to live, you don't live to work.
Reply 7
Had in your notice if you cant get the time off
I had to when I wasnt allowed my uni deadline weeks off
Might be worth looking for work elsewhere for after Glastonbury or somewhere that will let you have it off.
Or work at other festivals over the summer. Express cafes and flair events both pay and work at different events and festivals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Just start asking for the unpaid leave for pre-booked commitments, and if they refuse to give you the leave, explain that you'll be handing in your notice.

Can't see why there'd be a problem if you're not up front about it being a matter of leave or quitting, especially if you don't mind quitting.
Reply 9
Just be up front and honest. Explain how much the job means to you and that if it's not possible to get the shifts off you'd prefer to part ways for the time being. Telling them in advance and being open about it allows them maximum time to find a solution one way or the other and you can leave on good terms.
Just try and explain it to her with a similar wording to how you explained it to us in the first post. Supermarket managers are probably very used to students coming and going every summer; if anything they'll probably glad you're being honest with them rather than making up a fake excuse for leaving. You're going to be leaving in a month anyway- at least if they know that, they'll be able to forward plan a little more. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all- it would be a different story if you were threatening to leave a job you'd planned to stay in for several years.
Reply 11
Cheers everyone, I think I'll ask her tomorrow for the time off. If no, I'll let her know the following shift. Thanks for your time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending