The Student Room Group

How possible is it for me to boost my C to a B in my second AS level unit exam?

I got 60% (C) for my unit 1 history exam and I was not disappointed, but not entirely satisfied either.

Anyway, I have a strong belief that I would do much better in this next exam as it is mainly knowledge-based than how you answer the question. But would it be realistic for me to jump 10 marks and obtain a B? Has anyone done this before?

I didn't fancy retaking as it's not entirely a bad grade, and I also didn't want to make myself feel even more stressed doing some revision for it again while reading for other exams.

Thanks
Reply 1
If you got 60 UMS in the first exam you'll need 80 UMS (an A grade) minimum to achieve a B grade for your overal AS. It's possible, but I would have advised retaking if you were looking for a B overall.
Reply 2
Original post by Segadfx
If you got 60 UMS in the first exam you'll need 80 UMS (an A grade) minimum to achieve a B grade for your overal AS. It's possible, but I would have advised retaking if you were looking for a B overall.

Aaaah shucks. Now that's scary. Well I hope I can do it. Is that a permanent mark? Or can that be expected to alter/get lower at all?
Reply 3
Original post by Cameron10
Aaaah shucks. Now that's scary. Well I hope I can do it. Is that a permanent mark? Or can that be expected to alter/get lower at all?

It'll be your AS mark that you apply to universities with. Although you can improve on it during A2, plus you can retake in the exam period next year to boost up your overall A Level grade.
Depends on the weightings, HY1 is normally 60% of the AS. HY2 being 40%.

So you had 60% of 60% which is:
36% (72 UMS)

For an A:
44/40 % (88/80 UMS) which isn't possible

For a B:
34/40 % (68/80 UMS) which is an A.

Foe a C:
24/40 % (48/80 UMS) which is an exact C.

If you got:
HY1: 72/120
HY2: 68/80
HY3: 90/100 *
HY4: 90/100*

* = 90% in UMS. Whatever the weighting.

You would have an A* overall.
Reply 5
Damn youre confusing, man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest