The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Drama Exam - please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Linds9
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there! :') We were taught by ex examiners and assured that about half the group were securely on an A, so something went horribly wrong, evidently :') onwards and upwards, just got to ace this exam to secure an A... Because that won't be difficult :wink:

Ah that's such a shame, well hopefully this year goes well for you guys! LOL this exam is a mess. I guess just make sure to compare every point you make to original performance conditions etc. Also, learn appropriate TERMINOLOGY!
Reply 21
Original post by butchh
Ah that's such a shame, well hopefully this year goes well for you guys! LOL this exam is a mess. I guess just make sure to compare every point you make to original performance conditions etc. Also, learn appropriate TERMINOLOGY!

I don't think anyone really knows what we're supposed to do, so at least we're all on the same page! My teacher got hold of one of the current examiners and she said that in sections B and C you should lead with YOUR concept/ the performance you saw but link securely to the OPC - about a 60/40 split. Also, all the high mark answers I've seen to section C answered the general question. Just gives you more things to talk about :smile: if it consoles anyone, once you hit about 60 marks, you've got 120 UMS and can chill.
Reply 22
Original post by Linds9
Yeah. Our highest grade was a C, absolutely shocking. Examiners notes were useless too, no constructive criticism but ridiculously low marks. Didn't even bother resitting, just hoping the other units can pull it up to an A!

I think that's generally the case, the examiners don't give you specific feedback, which is really unhelpful.

The teacher who was doing the practical side with us, I think she's still an examiner, but she basically just left us to our own devices and only watched what we'd done at the end of the lesson. My coursework is all OK, but I really need to do well in this Unit 4 exam. No pressure there....
Reply 23
Original post by Aa'Ishah
I think that's generally the case, the examiners don't give you specific feedback, which is really unhelpful.

The teacher who was doing the practical side with us, I think she's still an examiner, but she basically just left us to our own devices and only watched what we'd done at the end of the lesson. My coursework is all OK, but I really need to do well in this Unit 4 exam. No pressure there....

Our teacher went the opposite way, gave us the uncut version of Marat/Sade to perform and directed us to death. By performance night none of us really understood her concept and we're not sure the examiner did either! I know, gotta get like 120/120 UMS in this, definitely gonna happen... :L
Reply 24
Neither of those are any help at all. Our teacher said she didn't want to be standing over our shoulders all the time, but a little bit of input would have been nice.

How are you guys with your concepts? I've never felt so clueless about anything.
Reply 25
Neither of those are any help at all. Our teacher said she didn't want to be standing over our shoulders all the time, but a little bit of input would have been nice.

How are you guys with your concepts? I've never felt so clueless about anything.

I'm quite shocked though because everyone's telling of how they were wronged and yet we had a really good experience last year. Our teacher went through everything extremely well, we had another teacher come in and help the performance and we ended up doing really well. Unit 3 this year has gone exactly the same and with Unit 4, we've been doing mocks and things have been explained really well to us. I can't help but think that maybe your teachers feel like they have to proper take a step back and then end up not helping at all?? :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by butchh
I'm quite shocked though because everyone's telling of how they were wronged and yet we had a really good experience last year. Our teacher went through everything extremely well, we had another teacher come in and help the performance and we ended up doing really well. Unit 3 this year has gone exactly the same and with Unit 4, we've been doing mocks and things have been explained really well to us. I can't help but think that maybe your teachers feel like they have to proper take a step back and then end up not helping at all?? :s-smilie:

We never got a moment to rehearse ourselves last year! All units but the AS performance unit have been wonderfully taught, and everyone was at least two grades higher on the coursework than the performance. Makes me wonder if the teacher miunderstood the specification or something. She never went through it with us... But we've done loads of unit 4 mocks too, we did two previews for unit 3 and the two other teachers we've had have been absolutely brilliant.
Reply 27
This year it's better because a new teacher started in September and she became Head of Department. We're doing Section A with her. The only thing is that our lessons with her are mostly after school because they messed up the timetable. The other teacher, who did the AS practical stuff with us last year, has given us some sheets and mostly got us to sit down quietly and make notes about our concept.

I do wonder about the understanding of the unit. I think it's the first time they're teaching it, and I remember with the coursework, the teacher told us it was 3000 words. Luckily I looked at the spec and found out it was actually 3500 lol.
If I'm sitting on a middle A at the minute, how well do I need to do in the exam to keep my A or even get a B?
I'm doing this exam, can't worry about it yet though, 4 exams next week. Mainly concerned about being able to get enough detail down about my interpretation in 50 minutes. Like others, our entire drama group was marked down on our performances last year, 1/18 got an A overall , terrible and unreflective.
Hello I am also takin this exam but I am doom lyistrata and macbeth. Can anyone break down what you are supposed to do in each question! I am too scared fOr my A2s!
Reply 31
Original post by MelaMelaMela
Hello I am also takin this exam but I am doom lyistrata and macbeth. Can anyone break down what you are supposed to do in each question! I am too scared fOr my A2s!

Hiya! I'm terrified too, I had an exam today and it was the first time in ages that I've actually felt nervous about an exam. I'll try and break it down for you according to what I understand so far. :smile:

Section A: You automatically get marks for each rehearsal technique you name AS LONG AS they're relevant. Extra marks are given when you explain clearly how they relate to whatever the question has specified, e.g. voice, relationships etc - so justify. For parts b and c, use at least one example from the extract they give you.

Section B: Answer one of two questions. This section focuses on your own interpretation of the play, so explain your concept as a whole, but also give examples from the play outlining how you would have them performed. Try and demonstrate understanding of the contextual elements, so how it would have been performed at the time, how the playwright's life may have influenced the play etc.

Section C: This will be your Macbeth section, and you'll get a choice of two questions - again, pick one. Looking at the papers so far, one will have a statement and get you to discuss it, the other will just invite you to look at particular elements of the play you went to see (but this layout could change). Both questions will require you to compare the performance you went to see to the original performance conditions, so you if you're doing Macbeth (like me!), you need to know about Elizabethan theatre and so on.

Breakdown of marks:
Section A part a - 4 marks
Section A part b - 6 marks
Section A part c - 10 marks

Section B - 30 marks

Section C - 30 marks

Since the exam is 2 and a half hours long, you're probably going to want to spend around half an hour on Section A, and then an hour each on Sections B and C.

Does that help? :smile:
Hiya! I'm terrified too, I had an exam today and it was the first time in ages that I've actually felt nervous about an exam. I'll try and break it down for you according to what I understand so far. :smile:

Section A: You automatically get marks for each rehearsal technique you name AS LONG AS they're relevant. Extra marks are given when you explain clearly how they relate to whatever the question has specified, e.g. voice, relationships etc - so justify. For parts b and c, use at least one example from the extract they give you.

Section B: Answer one of two questions. This section focuses on your own interpretation of the play, so explain your concept as a whole, but also give examples from the play outlining how you would have them performed. Try and demonstrate understanding of the contextual elements, so how it would have been performed at the time, how the playwright's life may have influenced the play etc.

Section C: This will be your Macbeth section, and you'll get a choice of two questions - again, pick one. Looking at the papers so far, one will have a statement and get you to discuss it, the other will just invite you to look at particular elements of the play you went to see (but this layout could change). Both questions will require you to compare the performance you went to see to the original performance conditions, so you if you're doing Macbeth (like me!), you need to know about Elizabethan theatre and so on.

Breakdown of marks:
Section A part a - 4 marks
Section A part b - 6 marks
Section A part c - 10 marks

Section B - 30 marks

Section C - 30 marks

Since the exam is 2 and a half hours long, you're probably going to want to spend around half an hour on Section A, and then an hour each on Sections B and C.

Does that help? :smile:

Hello, thanks that has helped me so much! How was the exam today and good luk for drama! We have 15 days left! *cries*
Reply 33
Is anyone 100% clear on the grade/UMS boundaries on this exam? Even my teachers are confused. According to the edexcel calculator I need around 56/80 on this exam to get an A, which would be achievable and fab. What's everyone aiming for? Would like a bit of clarification!
Original post by Linds9
Is anyone 100% clear on the grade/UMS boundaries on this exam? Even my teachers are confused. According to the edexcel calculator I need around 56/80 on this exam to get an A, which would be achievable and fab. What's everyone aiming for? Would like a bit of clarification!

I would love an A but I don't believe I will get it :frown:
We have been taught so badly on this exam, both of my teachers haven't a clue what they are doing and focused mainly on coursework.

No one in the class has got higher than a D for weeks on the section C question, its so hard.

Seriously this exam is so tricky and its even harder when people laugh at drama and say its not a 'real subject'...

Pick drama at A2 they say, guaranteed A they say....

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370295417.731734.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also you guys have it easy, try the complicated politics of goddamn Julius Ceasar for Section C, set in Africa, all black cast.

Why me God. Just why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing Woyzeck- like alot of you guys and alot of you seem to be struggling with Section B layout of the answer. Well, this is how I structure my essays:

Intro
Firstly I reword the question to start off my essay. For example, As a director, I intend to approach characterisation by applying naturalistic and expressionistic techniques to the characters.

I then go on to say my theme of the play and then why I have chosen it to link with Modern Day Conditions, the OPC and the play. For example, my theme is war and I chose it because of its prevalence in todays society, the fact Europe was almost at war in 1913 (OPC) and the fact Woyzeck is a soldier.

I then go on to talk about the styles of acting/staging I will be using (in this case Expressionism and Naturalism) and why I chosen it. Usually I link to the OPC again and mention the first performance here.

Paragraphs

As for paragraphs, I usually start off by naming a character/design element I will use. I then describe how I will approach it in my play- then I LINK back to the concept! ALWAYS SAY HOW IT LINKS BACK TO THE CONCEPT. Other wise you wont get about a band 2 answer. Also ALWAYS give examples from the text!! For example-

For example in Scene 12 when this happens, Woyzeck will do this and this to show his insanity.

Conclusion

I usually do a 2 liner for the conclusion- like "In conclusion this is how blah blah blah"
Reply 38
Original post by MelaMelaMela
Hello, thanks that has helped me so much! How was the exam today and good luk for drama! We have 15 days left! *cries*

I'm glad! I'm really not sure how it went, to be honest. Good luck to you as well! I know. I half wish we could just get it over with, but at the same time I need the time.
I don't know anybody in my class who is actually feeling confident about this exam.

We're doing Lysistrata and I really wanted to base my concept on the West Ham/Millwall hooliganism conflict but have just over thought this concept and got lost. And I now need to think of a new concept.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to develop this idea or even share the directorial concept ideas of Lysistrata they are using for this exam?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending