The Student Room Group

I can't decide which uni to go to!

Hello :smile:
So, as I'm sure many of you are aware the UCAS deadline is Wednesday. I was hoping to get my choice in today as I have an important exam tomorrow and I don't want it on my mind. I have applied for biomed (or a variation thereof) and I am kind of toying between Warwick and Leeds, although I have not completely discounted my other two options, Manchester and Lancaster.
Warwick:
I loved Warwick on the open day and really want to go there as I liked the atmosphere of the self-contained campus. Would be great for first year, however living off campus in second year would not be ideal, although I could deal with this. Also everyone (staff and students) seemed really nice on the open day and I am worrying that this is swaying my decision. The course seems interesting, just a pretty standard biomed course.

Leeds:
I liked Leeds, however I'm not sure about living in the city. Although it has a lot to offer, I moved into a village a fair few years ago and have become quite accustomed to it and I worry that I'd find city life stressful. On the other hand, maybe city life would be great being the age I am, I don't know. Also a friend of mine who I don't really see much now has firmed Leeds Met and I don't know how I feel about being in the same city, as much as he's a great person, as I kind of wanted a new start. However, the course allows me to take a module in Nutrition (interested but not that bothered for one module) but I could transfer to Neuroscience if I found that interesting.

Manchester:
Great opportunities for transfer to a wide range of degree programmes after first year. I did find it rather large and a bit impersonal, but it's not a big deal. I do think it would be a rather stressful place to live however, I hear crime rates are pretty high, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Lancaster:
I'm not sure what to say about Lancaster. I liked it, course seems pretty good, but why would I choose Lancaster as a campus uni over a much-closer Warwick? (I live in the West Midlands) However I like that there is countryside around the campus.

Also, if I firm any of these and decide that I don't want to go, I can go with my insurance Bangor (which I may prefer to all of these, but I'm yet to visit)

Thanks
I want to do dentistry next year and i think that Leeds and Manchester are the best options but its really up to you and your preference but good luck and i hope that you make the right choice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
This is just my opinion

Warwick>Lancaster
Whilst they are both campus based Warwick does offer more off campus and Coventry is nice

I went to Manchester, my daughter has just firmed Leeds
Both are city universities and appealed to us because we like city living and the student experience that a big city can give .. if that scares you then neither will be a good choice

Course-wise ... Warwick v Leeds
Look again at the Warwick course ... can you see yourself getting involved ... do they do the sort of research that interests you ... if not are you doomed to failure and disappointment there ... only you can say
It sounds like you've thought about it a lot, so I can't really give you any useful advice, other than I would really prioritize the courses that are the most suitable in terms of degree modules/options, and have a look at the rankings
When I was stuck with my uni choice I made a table with all my uni choices and put score next to each uni (a tally chart), for example based on location which one you like most then you give a score to the uni in the chart. Do different parameters (like course content, social life, university reputation etc.) and see which uni gets the highest score in your chart.

Leeds has good uni modules other uni are not offering (they offer Science of Colour in their Media course, that's something!) and to me the course contents are future oriented, while some uni offers more classic modules. The course content and structure is one thing for you to consider too.

I've insured Leeds in the end. It's a good uni and it has an upwards trend in the league table. Good luck with your choices :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I kind of want Warwick but I'm going to mull it over a bit :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ursin
Hello :smile:
So, as I'm sure many of you are aware the UCAS deadline is Wednesday. I was hoping to get my choice in today as I have an important exam tomorrow and I don't want it on my mind. I have applied for biomed (or a variation thereof) and I am kind of toying between Warwick and Leeds, although I have not completely discounted my other two options, Manchester and Lancaster.
Warwick:
I loved Warwick on the open day and really want to go there as I liked the atmosphere of the self-contained campus. Would be great for first year, however living off campus in second year would not be ideal, although I could deal with this. Also everyone (staff and students) seemed really nice on the open day and I am worrying that this is swaying my decision. The course seems interesting, just a pretty standard biomed course.

Leeds:
I liked Leeds, however I'm not sure about living in the city. Although it has a lot to offer, I moved into a village a fair few years ago and have become quite accustomed to it and I worry that I'd find city life stressful. On the other hand, maybe city life would be great being the age I am, I don't know. Also a friend of mine who I don't really see much now has firmed Leeds Met and I don't know how I feel about being in the same city, as much as he's a great person, as I kind of wanted a new start. However, the course allows me to take a module in Nutrition (interested but not that bothered for one module) but I could transfer to Neuroscience if I found that interesting.

Manchester:
Great opportunities for transfer to a wide range of degree programmes after first year. I did find it rather large and a bit impersonal, but it's not a big deal. I do think it would be a rather stressful place to live however, I hear crime rates are pretty high, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Lancaster:
I'm not sure what to say about Lancaster. I liked it, course seems pretty good, but why would I choose Lancaster as a campus uni over a much-closer Warwick? (I live in the West Midlands) However I like that there is countryside around the campus.

Also, if I firm any of these and decide that I don't want to go, I can go with my insurance Bangor (which I may prefer to all of these, but I'm yet to visit)

Thanks

From the sound of it, you prefer Warwick more! They are all good uni's so just look at the course, and the overall feel of the uni. I firmed Warwick because, me personally, I loved the vibes / feel of the campus. It was so homely which is just what I need!
Reply 7
Original post by Devina-S
From the sound of it, you prefer Warwick more! They are all good uni's so just look at the course, and the overall feel of the uni. I firmed Warwick because, me personally, I loved the vibes / feel of the campus. It was so homely which is just what I need!

Yes, that's what I felt too! What are you studying? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ursin
Yes, that's what I felt too! What are you studying? :smile:

(hoping to) study International Business with Spanish! Hopefully I get the grades :tongue: how's revision going?
Reply 9
Original post by Devina-S
(hoping to) study International Business with Spanish! Hopefully I get the grades :tongue: how's revision going?

Oooh sounds good. Revision is okay, just got to power through haven't you?! How about you? What grades do you need?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending