Turn on thread page Beta

Why Are People Judged By The Way They Dress??? watch

Announcements

lol nu huh i'm going with suz19, you can have her boyfriend )))))))
    weeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    we are just going as friends
    is that friends or "friends"??? you wantin more??? do you think that a guy and a girl can be friends??? i do i think that its a good thing to have male friends it means that you get a perspective of what both sexes think and you learn to compromise!!! thats to everyone in general not just you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleredfrog)
    Why is it, that wherever you go, poeple are lookin at the way you dress. If your dressed in scruffy clothes then your generally looked down upon anad not considered to have a great personality.

IF your dressed smart then people look at you with respect and admiration for what you may do!!

All people need to stop looking at the material and start looking at the inside!!
    The more important question in my opinion is why people dress in a certain way to justify themselves. Anybody with half an ounce of self-respect or decency would wait and judge people for themselves anyway.

is that friends or "friends"??? you wantin more??? do you think that a guy and a girl can be friends??? i do i think that its a good thing to have male friends it means that you get a perspective of what both sexes think and you learn to compromise!!! thats to everyone in general not just you!!!
    yes, friends as in friends =)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh.. some people just dress in a way that's quite offensive. I am admittedly quite conservative, but I feel that people who dress very scantily should be prepared for the judgements they get.

Not that I would care very much about them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Yeh.. some people just dress in a way that's quite offensive. I am admittedly quite conservative, but I feel that people who dress very scantily should be prepared for the judgements they get.

Not that I would care very much about them..
    rightly so - people who cant be bothered to dress appropriately or make an effort with their appearance should be judged as non-conformists or just plain lazy - i saw a student on 12inch platformers with her hair in orange and yellow braids - it was scary because she was about 6ft 5 with those shoes on

ReputationRep:
    I am a girl but I have fairly short and messy/spikey hair, and most of the time I wear an army jacket because its warm, got lots of pockets and I like it. On more than one ocassion complete strangers have come up to me and asked if I am a lesbian, which I am not. Now that is judging people by appearences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    I am a girl but I have fairly short and messy/spikey hair, and most of the time I wear an army jacket because its warm, got lots of pockets and I like it. On more than one ocassion complete strangers have come up to me and asked if I am a lesbian, which I am not. Now that is judging people by appearences.
    Apologies

ReputationRep:
    poor girl - couldnt they mistake you for sinead o'connor instead - well in society conformity is the only thing that gets us anywhere - i looked like Che Guevara for a long time with my moustache and beard and my army jacket - but eventually i gave it up and i finally got a tesco's job which i gave up after x-mas to be fair

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you like wearing stuff like that and are aware of how the masses react, then you can't really do much about it.

Personally I would never ever criticise someone's fashion sense (or lack of it!) in their face because I feel I don't have the right to. Nor would I like anyone dissing me... but there's not much to diss with my usual jeans and tops gear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    poor girl - couldnt they mistake you for sinead o'connor instead
    I have a bit more hair than her! But in my old (very unflattering) work uniform I also sometimes got parents telling their kids to give the stuff they were carrying "to the nice man" :rolleyes: But at least I save money on conditioners and shampoo, and it takes less time to do!

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit more hair than her! But in my old (very unflattering) work uniform I also sometimes got parents telling their kids to give the stuff they were carrying "to the nice man" :rolleyes: But at least I save money on conditioners and shampoo, and it takes less time to do!
    What do they do when they find out you're female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    What do they do when they find out you're female?
    At that point I normally gave them a bit of an evil stare and then they would realise and apologise, saying "Oh! Sorry, I meant the nice lady". I know it's mainly the hair so I understand, but I'm also six foot tall and this was in Halfords so they expected a guy to be working there. I just took to wearing quite large and noticable earrings to balance it out.

ReputationRep:
    At that point I normally gave them a bit of an evil stare and then they would realise and apologise, saying "Oh! Sorry, I meant the nice lady". I know it's mainly the hair so I understand, but I'm also six foot tall and this was in Halfords so they expected a guy to be working there. I just took to wearing quite large and noticable earrings to balance it out.
    Woah! 6 foot! *envious look*.. that is really not fair. By comparison I'm this nerdy looking bespectacled Chinese girl with long straight black hair.

How typical! in this part of the world..

ReputationRep:
    I'm very conservative in my dress sense, I am usualy quite smart apart from when I am wearing my scally combats.

I just hate cuasing offense to people.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it, that wherever you go, poeple are lookin at the way you dress. If your dressed in scruffy clothes then your generally looked down upon anad not considered to have a great personality.

IF your dressed smart then people look at you with respect and admiration for what you may do!!

All people need to stop looking at the material and start looking at the inside!!
    In all fairness, people don't have the time to analyse every person they meet. This is why first impressions count.

ReputationRep:

i guess the way you dress is a reflection of self. i try not to judge people based on their appearance, but then again, if someone dressed deliberately scruffily for a job interview it shows straight away that they can't be bothered and is a pretty good indicaor that they'd be a lazy employee.

ReputationRep:
    Fact is, you have to dress to impress.

I walked into The Savoy Tailors shop today looking for a nice suit... i wasn't dressed in anything nice at all and they didn't give me the time of day lol.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I enjoy wearing clothes that make me laugh - I accidentally bought some black trousers with the most enormous flares (they were next to the sensible work trousers) - every step I take when I'm wearing them makes me giggle to myself inside.

I tend to have my own uniform for work (because I'm too lazy/tired/rushed first thing in the morning to think about clothes) and despite wearing a suit most of the time people have still realised that I'm a bit of a hippy (including my boss - well technically my boss's, boss's boss - 2 steps down from God)...I'm quite pleased about that

Comfy clothes I'm quite short on because I've dropped 2 dress sizes in the last 6 months or so and haven't quite got round to buying a full wardrobe that fits.

ReputationRep:

True, but first impressions do count.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.