The Student Room Group

Law at Churchill College, Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nulli tertius
I am sure he does, but it doesn't work like that. Academics know which of their colleagues' opinions are reliable and which are not. If they thought that Churchill was rejecting real talent they would be congregating as bees around a honey-pot.

Hmm, I suppose it would make sense for lots of them to be re-interviewed by other colleges if this were the case then.

It's a bit of a conundrum, but I think that the above explanation has solved it.

Nobody applies to Churchill for obvious reasons, so a bunch of unfortunate open applicants are sent there, and perhaps the open applicants just tend to be weaker applicants who hope that they'll be sent to an 'easy' college :dontknow:
Original post by The Polymath
Open applications.

They are not open applicants. You can set up the Cambridge admissions tool to reveal open applicants. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/ For good or ill every one of the rejected applicants voluntarily chose Churchill.

My gut feeling, but I can't find any stats to prove it, is the vast majority of them were foreigners attracted by the Churchill name.
Original post by The Polymath
Don't know why I didn't think of this before:

Spoiler

It is still astounding that out of 52 applicants, only 2 got into Cambridge, and not one got into another college.

In fact, last year, someone was fished *by* Churchill, and if you assume that they got the standard offer, they were asked for A*A*AA - imagine the shock :tongue: It's no surprise, then, that only one of them ended up enrolling..

This is why I advise against open applications.

I do concede, however, that a school would not do enough research to advise against open applications becausr of stats like this. I imagine, they advise against them on traditional grounds like 'don't, you'll be allocated an all-girls college'.

Edit: nulli tertius is probably right, because I don't know why anyone would apply :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Churchill for Law is just ridiculous...
This is why it's important to carefully pick your college. If I applied to Churchill I would never have got an offer, and even if I did there'd be no way I could meet A*A*A*.
Reply 25
Original post by Abstract_Prism
This is why it's important to carefully pick your college. If I applied to Churchill I would never have got an offer, and even if I did there'd be no way I could meet A*A*A*.

You can't know you wouldn't have bucked the "trend" and/or the offer would be that high.

It is certainly interesting they much prefer to pick from the pool than take a direct applicant (only 1 direct offer in the last 5 years). But as noted above that will be due to the calibre of applicants with many possibly thinking a "STEMy" college will be a soft touch for a "weaker" humanities applicant.

The average UMS of Law offer holders at Churchill is by no means the highest:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/288073/response/705251/attach/2/FOI%202015%20281%20Bridges%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf
Has anyone received an offer to study Law at Churchill?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending