username1072682
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
seriously suck at English and need to buy study book which one is better success guide or how to pass and would you please tell me why the other one is better thanks in advance
kerrydouglas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found, specifically in Int2 that the study books weren't much use. But if you're set on getting one then I'd go for the How To Pass. I have their other subject books and I find them really useful. I did have the Success Guide for the Folio work but it was awful! If you're really struggling, try and come up with a Generic Essay Plan for each of your texts which will fit every question, this will minimise the quotes you have to learn & your points can be the same every time - although don't tell your teacher about this since they tend to frown on it! It was my tutor who helped me come up with these and I got 21 and 23 in my final exam essays so it clearly works! Once you get that nailed you can focus on close reading right up until the exam but keep going with the timed essays just to keep your timing in check . The close reading at Int 2 is quite a toughy but looking back from Higher it's not too bad. Just nail your 'formulas' for analysis questions; word choice, linking question etc. and keep reading newpapers and telling a parent or friend what the article you read was about - this will help with your understanding questions and finally for your Eval questions you can tell your friend/parent how well you thought the writer argued their point etc (the kind of things you'd get in an E question) I hope this helps and you do well in your exam! PM me if I can be of anymore use to you
Claire__
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can't think of any good books for Int 2, apart from my brother's higher book on critical essays(i think it was a hodder gibson how to pass one) which helps a bit with how to not storytell and things.
Create a list of questions from past papers suitable to your texts and plan them- you'll start to see a pattern emerging and similar questions usually come up(e.g. an important event question will be basically the same essay as a turning point question) so you'll definitely be prepared for the exam. Also, it means you have a bank of quotes and again there is usually a lot of crossover between different questions and I always find quotes easier to remember when I think back to the plans I've made.
When studying, write these different essays under exam type conditions(quiet, timed, etc.) to see how you'd do, and if possible take them in if your teacher is willing to mark them. Make sure you link the topic sentence/point into the sentence instead of just putting the quote in, as it'll make your essays flow a lot better which = a better mark. Also, avoid just telling the story and always, ALWAYS link to theme. What texts have you studied? If it's either Macbeth or Lord of The Flies, I could maybe help.

For Close Reading, just practice, practice, practice. There's a kind of formula to how to answer questions which you really need to just have practice to get better at. Also, make sure to actually read the question, like... if it's in your own words, or if you've to only quote an expression(don't quote a sentence, it's usually about 1-3 words).

Good luck, though
Derri-95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used two books "How to Pass Intermediate 2 English" and "Success Guide to Int 2 English"

I didn't find them to be much use in the end. The tips for writing Essays were mostly common sense and it didn't offer much help or advice. If you're set on getting one of them then I'd suggest the two I mentioned above with the Success Guide version being more suited to my style than the "How to Pass" book.
:D'
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im in S4 and doing Int2 English. Anyone else doing int 2 English. How are you preparing for it and how do you think you will do. Personally I'm really worried about, English had always been my weaker subject even though I managed to get a B in the prelim. Anyone have any studying tips. I am studying these three titles for my essays-

Prose- Of Mice and Men
Poem- Dulce et Decorum est
Drama- Merchant of Venice(backup)
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well what do you struggle on with English, is it your writing skills or evaluating skills?
Claire__
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Make sure you know your quotes, because not being able to remember the quotes can kind of throw you off in the exam and make you more worried than you have to be. And don't tell the story- the markers assume you know the book, so analyse literary techniques, character development, and always ALWAYS refer to both the question and theme in all of your paragraphs.

Is it the specific texts you're worried about? I did Merchant of Venice last year(although the analysis stuff we did in 3rd year is exceptionally different from how it's ended up now i'm in 4th year). I can only remember two of the questions to be honest as I kind of hated it(important relationship and any question to do with Shylock). Also, do the texts you feel most comfortable with in the exam. If you feel you could write a more in depth essay on your drama/prose than your poem, don't let the amount of quotes and stuff to remember get to you. Drama and prose are easier for some people as there is a substantial amount more to write about than with a poem.

Study tips:
-Do past papers especially for close reading.
-As you go through the close reading passage, mentally note the questions they may ask you.
-study cards are brilliant for remembering quotes.
-For essays, compile all the questions that are relevant to your texts into similar questions(e.g. an important incident is the same as a turning point, a sympathy question is just about the same as a character who makes you feel an emotion) and plan/write one for each group. It gives you a list of quotes and shows that usually, there is a lot of overlap. Usually, a similar pattern appears through the years, so it might turn out that you've basically already done the same essay before.

Also, how was your folio? (and did the B in the prelim include it? if you've got a secure folio it's kind of like a thing to fall back on if you're after an A and lose a few marks, although I'd be happy with a B, because a B is pretty darn good).

I haven't studied for it yet... and it's on the 17th... oops. Have you got any exams before it? (I have 2 )
:D'
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Claire__)
Make sure you know your quotes, because not being able to remember the quotes can kind of throw you off in the exam and make you more worried than you have to be. And don't tell the story- the markers assume you know the book, so analyse literary techniques, character development, and always ALWAYS refer to both the question and theme in all of your paragraphs.

Is it the specific texts you're worried about? I did Merchant of Venice last year(although the analysis stuff we did in 3rd year is exceptionally different from how it's ended up now i'm in 4th year). I can only remember two of the questions to be honest as I kind of hated it(important relationship and any question to do with Shylock). Also, do the texts you feel most comfortable with in the exam. If you feel you could write a more in depth essay on your drama/prose than your poem, don't let the amount of quotes and stuff to remember get to you. Drama and prose are easier for some people as there is a substantial amount more to write about than with a poem.

Study tips:
-Do past papers especially for close reading.
-As you go through the close reading passage, mentally note the questions they may ask you.
-study cards are brilliant for remembering quotes.
-For essays, compile all the questions that are relevant to your texts into similar questions(e.g. an important incident is the same as a turning point, a sympathy question is just about the same as a character who makes you feel an emotion) and plan/write one for each group. It gives you a list of quotes and shows that usually, there is a lot of overlap. Usually, a similar pattern appears through the years, so it might turn out that you've basically already done the same essay before.

Also, how was your folio? (and did the B in the prelim include it? if you've got a secure folio it's kind of like a thing to fall back on if you're after an A and lose a few marks, although I'd be happy with a B, because a B is pretty darn good).

I haven't studied for it yet... and it's on the 17th... oops. Have you got any exams before it? (I have 2 )
Ah thanks! The problem for me is that my teacher concentrated the majority of this year on a book called Slaughterhouse 5 which I did not understand at all so I was definitely not going to do it for the exam. Unfortunately that has meant that a lot this year in English for me has been wasted.
My folio was pretty decent according to my teacher I would get around 19/21 for each even though my discursive was just over 1200 words
My B in the prelim did not include the folio.
I only have one exam between now and english which is biology so I think I will be ok for time
Good Luck!!!!
alhadithi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
can you please help me from where to exactly start with my writing i int2 english i really need help and i am really stressed i want to get a B at int2 so i would be forever grateful i you would help me
alhadithi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
can you please help me, i am in a very difficult situation and this gets me stressed nearly everday, so i would like to improve my writing at int2 english and i would be forever greateful if you help me
Claire__
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Writing as in critical essays or writing as in folio? I'll go for both?

-Plan; know what you are going to write before diving straight in.
-Expression; read what you've written out loud to see how it sounds.
-Read. Seriously, it improves your writing immensely. Look how words and grammar are used.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.88%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.15%
I need help with my personal statement (53)
38.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.21%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise