The Student Room Group

Imperialism: good or bad?

Imperialism certainly gets a lot of bad press today, particularly European imperialism from the 15th Century onwards. While it is undeniable that there were bad aspects to European imperialism, slave trade etc, do these make the positive achievements of empires irrelevant?

Scroll to see replies

It all depends on what you think is good. Look at the USA. With colonisation it's an industrial, democratic (sort of) world power. Without it would just be occupied by Indian tribes. So it depends on which you find preferable.

Or India. Without British Imperialism it is possible if not likely India wouldn't even be one country right now and would not be the rising power it is. Plus the Brits stopped the Indians burning widows, which is nice.
Reply 2
Original post by Jacob :)
It all depends on what you think is good. Look at the USA. With colonisation it's an industrial, democratic (sort of) world power. Without it would just be occupied by Indian tribes. So it depends on which you find preferable.

Or India. Without British Imperialism it is possible if not likely India wouldn't even be one country right now and would not be the rising power it is. Plus the Brits stopped the Indians burning widows, which is nice.

That's what I mean. Do the examples you mentioned of the abolition of the Indian practice of Sati and the globalization that came from the European empires fade into insignificance when compared to the slave trade or the German genocide in south-west Africa?
Original post by Fezzick123
That's what I mean. Do the examples you mentioned of the abolition of the Indian practice of Sati and the globalization that came from the European empires fade into insignificance when compared to the slave trade or the German genocide in south-west Africa?

Genocide and slavery are not consequences of Imperialism alone though they may increase its scale. At the time of the Norman conquest it's estimated 1 in 10 of the people in England were slaves or the equivalent. Those things are definetly bad but don't reduce the benefits of Imperialism.

Most of the problems in Africa were not caused by Imperialism but by its abrupt end. It left most of Sub Sahara Africa without proper government which has led to the state it's in today.
Reply 4
Genocide and slavery are not consequences of Imperialism alone though they may increase its scale. At the time of the Norman conquest it's estimated 1 in 10 of the people in England were slaves or the equivalent. Those things are definetly bad but don't reduce the benefits of Imperialism.

Most of the problems in Africa were not caused by Imperialism but by its abrupt end. It left most of Sub Sahara Africa without proper government which has led to the state it's in today.

I totally agree with what you're saying but it does make you wonder why imperialism does have such a bad reputation for slavery and sub saharan Africa even though, as you say correctly, they aren't consequences of imperialism?
Reply 5
It all depends who's view you're looking from - for example, while the Spanish empire was growing in the 16th century, it was great for the monarchs of Spain because they had this huge empire bringing in loads of bullion, but it was a bit rubbish for the actual people of Spain because it meant absent monarchs, higher taxes and less focus on them and their needs.
Same with the colonisation of the USA - it's great now, and Europeans obviously thought that Imperialism was good, but the Native Americans wouldn't have agreed - with their land taken, food sources destroyed and all that. It's all very subjective, so my 'opinion' tends to change depending on what my essay title is, but on a personal level, I'm generally anti-imperialism (does that even make sense? anti-imperialist? hmmm)
Reply 6
I'm asking from more of a moral perspective, and the point you raised about the Native Americans is a perfect example of a negative aspect of imperialism. However, there are positive moral aspects, like the spread of western medicine, which has saved millions around the world. My question is, do the negative moral aspects overshadow the positive aspects?
I totally agree with what you're saying but it does make you wonder why imperialism does have such a bad reputation for slavery and sub saharan Africa even though, as you say correctly, they aren't consequences of imperialism?

I guess just because it was done in such an extreme and large scale manner. The British Empire only became exceptionally large after the end of the slave trade. The vast majority of the time the black slaves were sold to the Europeans by black slave traders anyway.
Reply 8
I guess just because it was done in such an extreme and large scale manner. The British Empire only became exceptionally large after the end of the slave trade. The vast majority of the time the black slaves were sold to the Europeans by black slave traders anyway.

Yeah people tend to forget that the European traders were SOLD the slaves, and how Britain was the nation most active in ending the slave trade.
Yeah people tend to forget that the European traders were SOLD the slaves, and how Britain was the nation most active in ending the slave trade.

Yeh. To be fair it was mostly because it wasn't making money anymore!
Reply 10
There were winners and losers of European colonialism. And it isn't as black and white as often portrayed- there were losers on the colonial side, and winners of the nations that were being colonised.

I think we're still too close to the era of European colonialism to make informed judgements on whether it was ultimately a good or bad thing. Strong emotions can often cloud objectivity. The good things that imperialism brought, like an end to barbaric practices like Sati, are offset by the sheer cruelty of events such as the Slave Trade. I think we need more time to pass before we can make a balanced judgement on imperialism, and I expect it to be much the same judgement as we have made on the Roman Empire- a brutal, cruel enterprise that ruined millions of lives, but whose huge impact is still felt and did result in some very good things for humanity, too.
Original post by navarre
There were winners and losers of European colonialism. And it isn't as black and white as often portrayed- there were losers on the colonial side, and winners of the nations that were being colonised.

I think we're still too close to the era of European colonialism to make informed judgements on whether it was ultimately a good or bad thing. Strong emotions can often cloud objectivity. The good things that imperialism brought, like an end to barbaric practices like Sati, are offset by the sheer cruelty of events such as the Slave Trade. I think we need more time to pass before we can make a balanced judgement on imperialism, and I expect it to be much the same judgement as we have made on the Roman Empire- a brutal, cruel enterprise that ruined millions of lives, but whose huge impact is still felt and did result in some very good things for humanity, too.

The Romans are a great example. Look at Gaul. They fought hard and long for their independence but in the end Roman rule made the lived of the average Gaul far better.

What have the Romans ever done for us?!? :smile:
The British Empire was almost entirely a good thing. It brought civilisation, Christianity, infrastructure (e.g. railways in India), democracy, health care and human rights (e.g. stop the Indian tradition of burning widows alive) to previously backward, godless, barbaric societies.
Reply 13
Original post by Super Cicero
The British Empire was almost entirely a good thing. It brought civilisation, Christianity, infrastructure (e.g. railways in India), democracy, health care and human rights (e.g. stop the Indian tradition of burning widows alive) to previously backward, godless, barbaric societies.

Wow. Firstly nice way of phrasing it. Secondly I don't think you can call anyone 'backward' if you think inflicting the curse of Christianity on them is good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I think if you look at what a lot of the previous colonial countries have ended up with now, it was probably a good thing. But whether the ends justify the means or not is a tough question, especially when you put British imperialism to one side and think about the Portuguese withdrawal from Mozambique and the Belgians in Congo. Imperialism done right is probably a good thing in the end.
Original post by Super Cicero

Wow, are you attempting to fit in the largest number of assertions ever into one sentence ?

1) What's so good about Christianity? could you not consider it backward in itself, we're talking about a religion that is 2000 years old here.

2) 'Backward, godless, barbaric societies' - Were you raised in the 19th century or something ?

3) 'Human rights' - Ah yes, killing hundreds of natives in the name of cultural imperialism. Certainly motivated by principles of humanism.
Reply 16
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
Wow, are you attempting to fit in the largest number of assertions ever into one sentence ?

1) What's so good about Christianity? could you not consider it backward in itself, we're talking about a religion that is 2000 years old here.

2) 'Backward, godless, barbaric societies' - Were you raised in the 19th century or something ?

3) 'Human rights' - Ah yes, killing hundreds of natives in the name of cultural imperialism. Certainly motivated by principles of humanism.

1) The religions that Christianity will have replaced will have been just as old, if not older.

2) By any modern standards, the societies can only be considered as backward. Besides, British and American imperialism were both driven, in part, by 'the white man's burden' of bringing civilisation to the aforementioned 'godless' societies, which is a centuries old concept which was acceptable at the time.

3) Yes people would die when the natives resisted, but once they were conquered, a modern legal system would be established and the natives would enjoy the protection of the conquerors. And let's not forget that the natives weren't perfect either, the Black Hole of Calcutta springs to mind.
Reply 17
People forget about the colonisation of Palestine. It wasn't that long ago that the overwhelming majority in Palestine were Arabs.

The aim of colonization here wasn't just to exploit the Arabs, but drive them out.

There were just 24,000 Jews compared to 500,000 Arabs living in Palestine in 1882.

Migration after migration, Jewish terrorists even bombed a ship full of Jewish immigrants just to persuade the British to let it dock.

Imperialism here, was certainly bad, god knows how many people have lost loved ones because of it, whether they be Jewish or Arab.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
1) The religions that Christianity will have replaced will have been just as old, if not older.

2) By any modern standards, the societies can only be considered as backward. Besides, British and American imperialism were both driven, in part, by 'the white man's burden' of bringing civilisation to the aforementioned 'godless' societies, which is a centuries old concept which was acceptable at the time.

3) Yes people would die when the natives resisted, but once they were conquered, a modern legal system would be established and the natives would enjoy the protection of the conquerors. And let's not forget that the natives weren't perfect either, the Black Hole of Calcutta springs to mind.

Basically, for me, the means don't justify the ends. If you want to help change other cultures then send missionaries, not armies. The positive ends that come about were arguably not even what the imperialists had in mind, let's face it, they were in it for the land, resources and money.
Reply 19
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
Basically, for me, the means don't justify the ends. If you want to help change other cultures then send missionaries, not armies. The positive ends that come about were arguably not even what the imperialists had in mind, let's face it, they were in it for the land, resources and money.

1) So you're saying that the foundation of the modern world is not worth the price of imperialism?

2) The British tried using missionaries, but the natives weren't receptive. What do you do when the natives attack your missionaries? The armies would not (usually) be the first presence in a region.

3) Christopher Columbus, one of the most prominent colonists, did everything in the name of religion and to serve God. Bernal Diaz del Castillo, one of Hernan Cortes' soldiers, said 'We went there [Mexico] to serve God, and also to get rich.' So yes, some of them were in for the money, but people underestimate how much religion did drive some of these people.

4) Bernal Diaz also described how, after the Spanish had capture Tenochtitlan, the Spaniard's Tlaxcalan allies brutally murdered every Aztec they could find. Empires themselves aren't inherently evil, its just people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending