The Student Room Group

AS Grades for Oxbridge?

Everyone,
Hello!

I was just wondering - I see a lot about A2 grades and university - but what AS grades do I need to get to have a competitive application with which I might get an offer?? Not much about it on the Interwebs...

Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only a small part of it but below A is not good.
Reply 2
It is subject to the degree e.g. I would dissuade anyone with less than AAAA applying for Medicine, but would probably support someone with AABB for something not as competitive, like HSPS for example (at least this would be enough for interview, and perhaps a good interview could sway the tutors.)

EDIT: negative for an accurate post. Brill
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
They dont even care about grades, they care about UMS afaik because applying to oxbridge implies you got all A's. Depending on what subject but im thinking something like Maths they would want 97ums for maths, likewise for other subjects.
Reply 4
Would AAAB (biology and chemistry very high As, Maths A and physics B, dropping physics) be good?
Depends on subject. If its highly competitive then probably all A's but if its not so competitive then it varies. I got a D at AS but I still managed to get an offer, so it is only a part of your application.
Reply 6
I'd like to do Law...

... does that mean I have to get 5 As then??

(There aren't any essential subjects though, does that help?!)
Reply 7
For Cambridge, you'll need to show promise within your AS levels by having high UMS scores in each unit- usually within the 90 region. Oxford supposedly take your GCSEs into account quite heavily, which means that even if you have good AS grades, you can still be rejected if your GCSEs are average. Obviously I'm generalising massively, but this can happen. I'd say definitely aim to get as many As as possible, and try to make sure that they're high As. If you have slightly lower, a glowing reference and predicted A2 grades in the A* to A region should help a bit. From experience, I got 2 As and 2 Bs at AS, although my 2 As were both in the late 90s region and one of my Bs was 3 points from an A, I still got a rejection. This was with a good personal statement, predicted grades of A*A*AA and a wonderful reference. It's very competitive, so aim for straight As and you'll be less at risk! Hope this helps, good luck!
I don't know about other subjects, but with maths As at AS would be the bare minimum. Certainly an A in the subject you are applying for.

You will always hear stories saying 'my friend got into Oxford with 3Bs', but if you look at the official statistics it's just not true except in rare and exceptional cases. I don't mean to put you down, but all As is the most realistic answer.

On top of that you want things like maths challenges / AEA / STEP / equivalent for other subjects.

Good luck. What are you applying for? :smile:
I got an offer with AABB, Oxford look at GCSE's quite a bit as well.
Reply 10
Although you don't have to enter ums into ucas, if they are presented with a bunch of AAAA students, chances are they may ask you to tell a bit about UMS. For Oxbridge I would reckon a 90%+ would be ok, but Oxford I heard don't really ask directly compared to Cambridge. One of our classmates got an offer from Oxford with AAAB though so it can be done! Just be tray for the interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by cecole123
For Cambridge, you'll need to show promise within your AS levels by having high UMS scores in each unit- usually within the 90 region. Oxford supposedly take your GCSEs into account quite heavily, which means that even if you have good AS grades, you can still be rejected if your GCSEs are average. Obviously I'm generalising massively, but this can happen. I'd say definitely aim to get as many As as possible, and try to make sure that they're high As. If you have slightly lower, a glowing reference and predicted A2 grades in the A* to A region should help a bit. From experience, I got 2 As and 2 Bs at AS, although my 2 As were both in the late 90s region and one of my Bs was 3 points from an A, I still got a rejection. This was with a good personal statement, predicted grades of A*A*AA and a wonderful reference. It's very competitive, so aim for straight As and you'll be less at risk! Hope this helps, good luck!

Aww thanks... :smile: That's so helpful!

Putting this into perspective...

Right.. I got: 7 A*s and 4 As at GCSE...
Will probably get AAAAB at AS...
Do you think I could get into into Oxbridge for Law? Asking people, I unhelpfully get massively ranging answers... :frown:

Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
I got an offer with AABB, Oxford look at GCSE's quite a bit as well.

what course

did you have extenuating circumstances

what GCSEs did you get

was your course competitive

Original post by scheherazade3
I'd like to do Law...

... does that mean I have to get 5 As then??

(There aren't any essential subjects though, does that help?!)

Law is a very competitive subject, as you will (hopefully) be aware. I would think that you pretty much need all A grades at AS to stand a competitive chance; especially at Cambridge where 90+ UMS seems to be expected. Obviously other factors may reduce the importance of AS levels (to a very limited extent) - for example, a candidate with excellent GCSEs, references, PS, interview score etc. may get given some slack if their ASs are slightly below the average acceptance.

I should add that this is just speculation though (but it is based on evidence I've accumulated from a variety of Oxbridge sources, i.e professors and admissions tutors) and if you want a more definitive answer I'd suggest contacting either of the universities/colleges within them for more info. I think Oxford has a dedicated law admissions centre which you could contact, but I can't exactly remember.

Hope this helps.
Reply 14

Do you think I could get into into Oxbridge for Law? Asking people, I unhelpfully get massively ranging answers... :frown:

Thanks!

Your GCSEs are fantastic and your AS level predictions are really good too! The problem with law is that it is such a competitive subject, they have to reject so many good candidates every year. I would be really surprised if you didn't get at least an interview, especially if you score highly in either the LNAT or the Cambridge law admissions test. It also depends on your school's performance too, for example, I go to a comprehensive which performs under the national average for both GCSE and A-levels, so my grades would have been judged against the standard of the rest of the school, as obviously it would be unfair to judge my slightly shoddy education against a fantastic one... So there are loads of factors which can play into your advantage/disadvantage, personally I think it's a lot of luck too with Oxbridge. Definitely apply though, you're clearly worthy of a place there and you'd be foolish to deny yourself the opportunity! Even if Oxbridge say no, there are lots of other good universities for law so you won't be missing out. Good luck!

Thanks!

With Law at Oxford, I'd say the LNAT is incredibly important. Kill the LNAT and you have a very good chance of getting an interview with those grades.
Original post by JPL9457

what course

did you have extenuating circumstances

what GCSEs did you get

was your course competitive

Philosophy and Theology, had 7 applicants per place at Jesus College. No extenuating circumstances. 10 A* 2 A.
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Philosophy and Theology, had 7 applicants per place at Jesus College. No extenuating circumstances. 10 A* 2 A.

:lolwut: why is Jesus so much more competitive than the average? Does it offer many places?

I sent quite a bit of time in the Jesus JCR with a friend, quite liked it actually :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks so much everyone!!
<3 Lots of love to all!

Especially after looking at some other threads... some people in hear can be really uptight... :bawling:

in here o_O
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
You will read this all over TSR but they are mainly looking at super clever people who utterly love their subject and will be up to the task of a huge jump in the work from A-Level to degree. Add into this they will give you much more work than at most unis, so they are looking for the very best so they know you'll be able to cope.

My guess is that AAAA might be better than AAAAB, but others here will be able to say more definitively than me on this.

Obviously if you don't get an interview you can't blow their socks off and so AS's are crucial to get you in front of them - but it's then that the real job starts (IMHO).

H
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending